Sat, Sep 21, 5:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Can this thing render any slower???

Roshigoth ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 6:49 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:31 PM

Sorry, just wanna blow off steam. I started a render last night at 11:15. It's 4:50. here now, and it's still not done.. It's going really slowly on the antialiasing.. something like 1% every 15-30 minutes. Ugh. It's on 91% now.. maybe it'll finish before 7. Rosh

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 7:03 PM

I know what you mean .. good luck ...

Roshigoth ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 7:09 PM

I live on this machine.. This will probably make my record of longest render. The current winner's 13 hours, and that was my very first abstract, the one I did in response to Verdie's challenge. Not surprisingly, this one's also an abstract. I think one reason it's taking so long is it's at 1024 x 768 (was gonna be my wallpaper, but I decided I wasn't quite happy with it.. and I thought of something else to make for my desktop) so I'll post a reduced form on the gallery, and if anyone wants it, I'll upload the full-size to my web page. Rosh

DigitalArtist ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 7:13 PM

plays Jeapordy music

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 7:33 PM

Daaamn, 13 hr's...I wish.... I have one that took 73 hrs three freakin days, on my old P200. I gotta get a Mac. Hawkfyrplays funeal durge (SP)

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Kurka ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 8:02 PM

Sometimes it helps to render the image really big, without any anti-aliasing. Then reduce the image.

inyerface ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 8:15 PM

You probably know this, but- Disable EVERYTHING except Bryce: screensaver, clock, desktop picture, ANY other program or background app. THEN turn off your monitor! anything that updates (including screen) will slooow your render. Oh yeah, and get a Mac!

Roshigoth ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 9:33 PM

Finally done! 19:30 hrs. My new record... and that's on an Athlon 800, mind you. As for disabling everything, well, I do that overnight. During the daytime, well, I can't live without my computer.. i.e. i'll just have to deal with the slow render for now. It's usually not that bad. This was just a tough pic. That's all. As for a mac, well, I really, really hate macs. If getting a mac would cut 10% off my render time (which I doubt), I'll do without, thank you very much. (but I don't wanna get into a mac/pc discussion, so we'll drop it there). Rosh

Spike ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 11:30 AM

Hey bud, Try a render to disk at 300 dpi for print output. That will get ya!

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

inyerface ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 2:44 PM

...and THAT's why the big guys have six machines....

DigitalArtist ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 4:10 PM

Phew! Congratulations there Rosh! My longest ever was 15:35 on a P2 600 (upgrading soon) It was a scraped projct called "Creation" at 1024x768 with AA fine art on. 5 minute animation? I'd probably die with something that long! (not being able to use my computer is like being without food) the longest one Ive attempted is a minute 20......something along the lines of 250 frames or something - I don't remember. -James I really wish it'd take advantage of multi boot systems sigh

Roshigoth ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 6:08 PM

Oh yeah. I know. I wish I had a render slave for this sort of thing so I can keep doing stuff while rendering.. but it's enough of a pain to ship my one computer back and forth between home and my dorm (not to mention expensive)... I don't even want to think about two comps.. maybe if I could land myself a decent laptop... =) Rosh

Ironbear ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2000 at 8:39 PM

Get a Mac? Puh.. leeeze. (Sorry mac lovers... my PC daemon possessed me for a moment and made me type this) Lots o RAM helps... and staying as far away from volumetrics as I can. My "Vampires in the Mist" image was the longest render I ever experienced (96hrs total, before it crashed and I had to finish it in post) I discovered later, fooling around with it, that its was the volumetric nebulae that did it, w/o nebulae it took less than 10hrs to do a photo quality render of the same scene on my dual 233 with 512mb ram.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.