Sat, Sep 21, 12:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: Parts disappearing after figure creation

Webspinner ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 3:14 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:35 PM

file_132774.gif

I posted before about making a tunic for Green Arrow. I'm having a problem with the figure creation in poser. I have only once had the model keep all of its parts but the back faces were missing. So while redoing it, I have had the collar and shoulders disappearing on me. What am I doing wrong, any help or tips. Thanks in advance, Web

RKane_1 ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 3:42 PM

Use your grouping tool to select the offending areas while in Poser and flip the normals in the grouping tool selection. Hopefully that is the culprit and it will solve the prob.

ColtCentaur ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 4:35 PM

Yep reversed normals :) -Colt

Webspinner ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 6:39 PM

Thanks guys! One more question. Is it preferable to have the neck and shoulders with the model? -Web

ColtCentaur ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2000 at 7:00 PM

Depends on the models really, personly I think that model could do without it.

RKane_1 ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 12:23 AM

I'm inclined to agree.

menonymous ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 7:08 AM

so what is a reversed normal? and how does that help?

ColtCentaur ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 9:39 AM

A normal is the imaginary line perpendicular to a polygonal face. Easy to understand huh? When it gets reversed (though imports/exports) you get a hole in the mesh. Normaly reversed normals only show up after a render in poser. -Colt

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 10:55 AM

heyas; are you sure those are reversed normals? normally (npi), when the normals are abnormal, the mesh appears 'inside out,' not invisible like this. especially since it is the shoulders and collars, i am wondering if you named those body parts the correct internal names, or if you named them the common names. the shoulders, for example, are named lShldr and rShldr instead of lShoulder or something normal. if the cr2 can't find the correctly named group in the obj, it won't put the body part in. though that doesn't explain the laces vanishing.

Webspinner ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 2:30 PM

Yes I named the parts correctly, and they still disapear, of the times that I have created the figure, only once has it the correct look., I've tried it 20 ways to sunday, and still the same problem. And I don't use that one because it needs to be edited more. As for the laces, I took them out, because if i didn't and tried to create a figure the program would crash, so i add them in later as props. This is very frustrating to say the least. I've been up late (nearly to dawn) trying to solve this problem for going on 6 days... Thanks again guys.....

ColtCentaur ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 3:27 PM

You might be tring to reinvent the wheel with this one. Really a good transmap on the catsuit with a taper modifer on the shoulders will give the same look. You can add in the laces on a bump map as well. -Colt

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2000 at 9:28 AM

heyas; web, if the laces make poser crash, they might have pentagons in them. use anthony appleyard's depent utility on your meshes. if you render and the invisible pieces don't reappear, then they're not there. if they do render, they're abnormal. say, web... ::rereading:: you say the first time you made it, the only problem was the back faces missing?? man, you shoulda left it! because that's normal. as long as the back faces aren't facing out and making your parts backwards... you can try running your mesh through maz's twoface utility, or... you can do it quick and easy if you import the obj into poser twice -- once with normals inverted, and then export both and weld the vertices. having double-faced polys is nice, but from experience, melding things this way (either method) can cause your mesh to mess up, too.

Webspinner ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2000 at 3:27 PM

Hey, First of all I'm not the quiting kind.... It may take me a while, but once I have it, I will have a greater understanding of the whole process in general. I knew that I would tackle this issue at one point or another. Part of the problem is that I don't have the usual programs that could make it a little easier. I have to find a work around that works for the OS and programs that I do have. Enough of my rantting. Bloodsong, Thanks for your words, and posible work around..I have tried what you have said before the last post.... I finally went to your site, man you are prolific artist I wish I could turn stuff out that quickly. the wory is very nice also. And to answer to your questions... First let me clarify (lack of sleep does wonders on the mind). the reasons that the back face didn't were gone was because I (not paying attention) didn't select the back faces when I grouped it in the first place... The laces were separate piece, not built in to the model, that could be changed. What seems to happen though, strangely enough, is if I leave the shoulder parts in; the collars, remain.. Weird. One thing that I didn't consider is that I made the model based on a body that was modified Should I have made it for a base body, then reshaped it along with the body... I'm trying to understand the correct procedure...Most tutorials don't address this point... My assumption is that they meke them for standard non-modified bodies. thanks for your help. Web

bloodsong ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2000 at 6:33 PM

heyas; if it's a tunic for a specific character (i know it is), i would go ahead and build it on that character, rather than fussing with changing the body AND the clothing. if you'd prefer a more 'one size fits all' piece of clothing, then yes, build it on the base character. moi?? prolific??? FAST!?!? bwahhahhahaha! my gallery has pics from... what, 1993 and up, right? they didn't all happen fast. :) but thanks. i don't think i can help ya much more on this one. i think you will work through it. if it were me, i'd be at the point where i back up a few steps and start over, and see if i do it better this time. good luck. :)

Webspinner ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2000 at 8:15 PM

Thanks.... That is what I planned on doing...I am stepped back for a bit to re think the whole thing....Thanks for your help... When I get it right I'll post the results.. Web

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.