Wed, Oct 23, 6:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 14 4:51 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: A clean expletive?

ChromeTiger ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 12:26 AM

To set it up, a tough female detective makes a wrong turn into an alley, comes face-to-face with a werewolf and she says..... ? (Assuming a bit of hardened 'I've seen it all' attitude) "Oh, joy."

_Audrey ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 2:43 AM

'woof'

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 4:23 AM

Scheisse? since she's austrian. Means (oh) shit if anyone is in doubt.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

sebastel ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 6:06 AM

"donnerwetter" just means 'thunderstorm'. i think it would not be the right choice. a "nice" curse often heard in bavaria and parts of austria would be himmiherrgottsakra derived from: himmi - himmel = heaven herrgott = the lord, god sakra = short form of sacrament hope this was helpful in some way

BekaVal ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 6:22 AM

If she is (mostly) naked and her name is Victoria, she pulls out her sword, wields it against the poor bugger and says nothing at all. If she has wings attached to her back, she puts on her most innocent look, poses her limbs in a very graceful manner still saying nothing. Sorry - I'm overposered. ;)

sebastel ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 6:32 AM

another word on "donnerwetter" - it would be OK but it just does not sound austrian at all. and it seems to be too weak in my ears. since "himmi..." (mentioned before) is too long for the locals also, it is shortened in most cases to: "sakra". and this is my proposal. btw, this word assumes a catholic background (i think still more than 90% of austrians are catholic).

Dave ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 7:19 AM

One I usually use is a made up word. Not sure where I got it. Oh Shugana (pronounced Shoo-gah-nah). My two cents for what its worth. Dave

Drew2003 ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 8:29 AM

To set it up, a tough female detective makes a wrong turn into an alley, comes face-to-face with a werewolf and she says..... ? "What now?" (exasperated tone, touch of disappointment) "Not again..." (exasperated and a touch annoyed or bored) "Sure 'nuff" (derived from "just when things are at their worst, a little voice says 'cheer up things could be worse', so you cheer up and sure 'nuff, things get worse) "Sorry honey, I have a headache" (works for male antagonists, at least), could become "Headache time!" once readers are familiar with the character. - Drew

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:14 AM

I use "damnity!" and "pissants!" My grandfather used to refer to "scissorbills" to describe cheapskates, tax collectors, and officious bureaucrats. I suggest avoiding anything not in American English unless you are very familiar with the word and where it has been. "Bugger" used to describe a man-man sexual activity during the Victorian era, so, while it may be watered down now, it may also not be appropriate for your character, or may raise eyebrows among British readers. When working with a Mexican draftsman, we picked up the term "chancadero" (sp?) said when he dropped something or similar mishap. Later he told me not to use it in polite company. (I think it means damned little thing?) Shakespeare used a lot of extremely colorful terms, which have been somewhat sanitized after 400 years. There are books and lists full of them. They ought to be different enough to add an edge to your character without fear that a modern reader would misunderstand or be offended. One thing to remember: swear words maintain their power through taboos and sacredness. If a culture thinks nothing of excrement (it is after all a biological process), they won't say "shit" for emphasis. If their cosmology doesn't include a hell or damnation but 40,000 nature spirits, they won't damn someone. They may start listing names, though. ;) What is sacred to your character? Carolly

aprilrosanina ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:14 AM

A good expletive should have harsh syllables and contain references to either obscenity or something gross. Since both the latter are not desired in this context, what you want is something that sounds like it /ought/ to be dirty, while not specifically meaning anything. :) My Texas relatives have been known to use "Mo-ther pussbucket..." but that's a bit too gross for me... "Festering fracklin..." "Oh, retch..." "Reeking drek!" Etc.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:19 AM

"Oh, for cryin' out loud ...."
-- Colonel Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1

Some of you might find this site helpful, or at least amusing:

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/index.htm

LonCray ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:21 AM

I always liked Felgercarb, from Battlestar Galactica. My understanding of Donnerwetter is that it's really much stronger to German-speakers, kinda like MF is to English speakers. So, for an Austrian, Donnerwetter would be an excellent choice. Do we have any German speakers to chime in on this? Oh, and Shugana sounds like Meshuganah - which I believe is Yiddish like Furschlugginer. Thinking about it, that would be a good term for a German speaker - Mad Magazine used it all the time as I recall.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:22 AM

By the way, I have links to over a dozen curse generators (including the Shakespearean one), if anyone's interested.

LonCray ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:25 AM

Yes, please - that Insultmonger link that posted at the same time as mine had Meshuganah (sp?) as Crazy Person in Yiddish. More links would be welcome!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:38 AM

Shakespearean Curse Generator

Olde English/Pirate Curse Generator

Conservative Curse Geneator

Biblical Curse Generator

Curse Generator

The Insultmonger site has a nice selection of generators, also:
http://www.insultmonger.com/generators/index.htm

Try the Auto-Flamer ... perfect for the Off Topic forum.

garblesnix ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:44 AM

poppycock. the heroin plant combined with...well, you get it. very oldy-timey.

Indoda ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 10:52 AM

Balsa wood!

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

sebastel ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 1:36 PM

LonCray, where verdammt do you think i live? donnerwetter noch einmal! ("noch einmal" = once again; for some reason enhances the meaning) please keep in mind that german with all its colurs is extremely flexible. like: what is a strong word in some region would mean nothing to someone coming from another place. i remember a colleague who would not been angry to be called an "idiot", but calling hin a "dubel" (pronounced "doooble") would have upset him. also: words change their meaning in time. maybe "donnerwetter" was a strong word say 100 years ago, nowadays it is merely a word of surprize.

LonCray ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 1:41 PM

Sorry, Sebastel, didn't mean to step on your linguistic toes! All I had to go on is 2 years in Augsburg in the US Army and 2 years of American high school German before that. I wonder if the Swabians and Bavarians thought Donnerwetter was very strong - I got that idea from someplace!

sebastel ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 2:13 PM

not really a problem... ;-) well, i live in the southwest, so swabian is not in my direct environment, and bavarian is even further away. anyway, donnerwetter i'd think could be quite an interesting choice, but again i must stress it does not sound austrian at all. eventually today i phoned to a colleague in vienna, and asking hin, "what would you say if you turnded around a corner..." he actually answered "joooo..." which is kinda typically vienna. they have quite a dry humour. "jooo" is just a version of the german word for "yes". at the same time also "naaaaaa...." (open "a" like in the english wort "up", but stretched looooong) would have been possible ("naaa" = austrian accent for "nein" = "no"). vienna accent is more famous for very colorfully calling names. (most coming to my mind are definitively not suited for this family oriented forum) a more ancient expression would be "kruzitken" basically coming from the time when turkish troops were almost occupying vienna. don't ask me for the proper meaning. literally it is combined from cross (actually the christian crucifix) and turk. but as i said this is ancient. i just know it from reading. almost no one will say it as far as i know the language. (what is actually depending on where you live and how old you are, as already mentioned) well, 'nuff said, this was worth not even 5 cent.

GabrielK ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 3:09 PM

LOL maybe it's just me but I really love the suggestion to use "Shatner" as an expletive!

LonCray ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 3:26 PM

Since those new UPS commercials ("If this package isn't delivered, we're all DOOMED") very much reminds me of Shatner, I think it's an excellent idea. Even sounds a little Germanic, in a warped way.

Tilandra ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 3:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the brainstorming! I really liked the idea of using foreign words to swear, but in the end, I chose to go with a different approach since it may be a while before I do a segment that tells her backstory and in the meantime it would be slightly confusing for the reader/viewer. So I'm taking a different approach... blending someone elses' idea of using a longer phrase and then following up with a shorter version of it with a thought of my own, I came up with this. "I'm not charging enough for this job... and this is why." The panel below (above?) is just a rough mockup :) Kinda testing out the character before I throw her into the "real" situations. Again, thanks everyone for the ideas!

Tilandra ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2004 at 3:32 PM

file_94323.jpg

Helps to include the image...

tallpindo ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2004 at 11:13 AM

You need something more like "Christ on a Crutch" for this story line though more Gothic and Serbian. I would suggest "Bloody Hell's Teeth" but that is a bit British. How about "Mountain Martyr's Moldy Cape?"

jstro ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 10:31 PM

If it's going to be her tag phrase every time she gets into trouble - for everything from running into a zombie to dropping a blob of catchup on her favorite blouse, you need to make it something that sounds natural and won't become grating. Keep it short and simple. Uh-oh was already suggested and seems to fit the bill to me. Or perhaps, oh great. Short, simple, and natural. Just my two cents. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2004 at 7:51 PM

hmm...what happened to the 'ol fantastic four 'It's clobberin' time'?..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Baby_Bat ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2004 at 5:44 PM

Taking a previous idea of merging two swear words together a group of friends and I came up with, "Oh Fugg it!"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.