Mon, Sep 9, 7:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: How many hours per week do you spend doing 3d (or related stuff)?

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 8:12 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 7:52 PM

As it says - How many hours each week do you spend doing 3d or 3d related sort of stuff, be it bryce, or wings or poser or whatever? Just curious what the brycers average. I'm down to about 4-5 hours per week of doing 3d stuff (real life things have been busy the last month).

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

PerryMcK ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 8:42 PM

Bottom line minimum 25, up to ~40. Of course I am trying to learn all the awsome things I found HERE. And Amapi, And Carrara, and others as I find time. Mike

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 8:47 PM

Flak, When I'm feeling down about stuff or have a lot going on less than 10. but when I'm feeling good about everything and the everyday distractions are less I can get up to 30 or more - not including any internet time which might or might not include learning about 3d. There was a time when I spent up to a 100 hours a week coding graphics stuff for c c++ but that was a long time ago - before Bryce, Carrara Wings, Poser etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to do all of it right but I guess the point is to keep at it even just a little...

Erlik ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:20 PM

Huh. I just spent an hour modelling in Rhino. And that's not counting a couple of hours I've already spent setting and fiddling with stuff in Bryce on another thing. Guess it can add up to 20-30 hours per week or even more. Plus, as bikermouse says, hanging around here. But then, it can be a lot less, when I don't feel like doing anything.

-- erlik

Swade ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:20 PM

Well.... when I am busy and working tons of overtime I only get about 5 to 10 hours a week in doing 3D related stuff.... However, when I have free time I can get up in the neighborhood of around 45 to 60 hours of time in working with 3D related things. Kind of depends on my schedual. Presidential election isn't till November, but the politicians are already starting to mail their stuff out. So I am in for a busy year..... a lot less time for 3D work. sad.gif

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:23 PM

About 40 plus hrs a week.Mostly because I am still home with a broken ankle.Still not learning as much as I would like to.It includes doing my web pages too though.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:28 PM

I'm sure I spend two or three hours a day on Rhino, and as many as five in Bryce itself. Some Amorphium and Poser, and maybe an hor or two a week in Lightwave. I spend nearly as much time in Photoshop as Bryce, editing pictures of my ridiculous male supermodel house-ninjas...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:45 PM

45 hours/week, which defintely now includes MP testing. Usually, over 7 days a week, unless I'm away from home. AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

eelie ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:54 PM

You just had to ask didn't you? :o) Normally, I'd say at least 15-20 for me, but if things are busy less than 10. If I've got time (or procrastinate and make time or need the 'therapy' of it) I'm sure it's 30+. Part of it for me is still the learning factor. I may spend an hour tweaking a material or 2-3 hours modeling something where those may take others a fraction of that time. The good thing is I'm getting better so some things don't take me as long; the bad thing is that now that I've gotten those things down, I'm trying to learn even harder things. But hey, at least my mind's active! :o)

foleypro ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:55 PM

Never enough time...Around 20-30 hours more when I need too...

woodhurst ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 9:56 PM

when I have an idea for a model or an image, I can spend like 30-40 hours a week, usually on saturdays I spend a few hours messing around. but every once and a while I will go like 5 or 6 days without touching Bryce.....dont ask how:)

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 10:09 PM

anywhere from 10-25...depending on how busy it is at work..usually from 3-6, and then lots more on the weekend..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 10:45 PM

Some weeks 30-40, and when I'm not feeling inspired or when I'm really busy with work and other stuff ... 0-2.

Could be worse, could be raining.

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 10:54 PM

Most always between, 80 to 120 hours, with my store, the site, texturing, modeling, challenges, getting photos for textures, and client work....

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 11:12 PM

You win. ;o) AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 11:21 PM

Zhann's weeks last longer than the 168 hours the rest of us have ;)

Digital WasteLanD

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 11:23 PM

Was it a contest? I really like doing what I do, and I make some extra cash, so hubby's ok with it. I also have two Aspen exhibitions coming up, I'm doing assemblages for those too, a break from the computer....:)

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 11:26 PM

I don't sleep much, especially when I get a flash of creativity, longest was 4 days straight no sleep, although I know that will end in a massive migraine

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 11:39 PM

4 days straight!!! Salutes the Zhann Now, for the novice layman, what's an "assemblage"?

Digital WasteLanD

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 12:18 AM

An Assemblage; n. sculptural technique of composing into a unified whole, a group of unrelated, and often fragmentary, or discarded objects...most go for around $800 depending on size, largest one I did was 3'x 3'...interior designers buy most of them, if you check my stuff in the mixed media gallery, those are assemblages...

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 12:48 AM
Flak ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 1:01 AM

Ah, ok Zhann. Thought it was something constructed but wasn't sure whether it was some of the those welded together pieces I remember you mentioning at one time or another.

Digital WasteLanD

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 1:38 AM

Once spent nearly the same amt as Zhann for a month when I was commissioned to do 23 images..I took my laptop to a coffee shop to work as I was crying since I saw no one but my laptop..and I didn't know about renderosity. Normally..bout 7-8 hrs a day now.. but since dad got sick, it's been less since me been so stressed out...I hit the sack easily, or I get out to a pub, get slightly sizzled..and then come home too tipsy to bryce (and that's where keyboard nitemares began...) If creativity hits..then damn the world...

tjohn ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 2:05 AM

How many hours per week do you spend doing 3d (or related stuff)? Way too d**n many.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

RodsArt ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 2:20 AM

With the new jobb...2-3 hrs. Before that 20-30. Ugh! I'm frikken jones'n.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

alvinylaya ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 3:33 AM

Never counted but I think way too much, I get worried about it sometimes. I wish there was some kind of a diet pill to keep me away from the computer.

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 4:02 AM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeh I thought I did a lot till I saw Zhanns post!! Probably around 80-90 but I do have 4 sites and I'm trying to make a living out of this. But at least I'm doing something I enjoy :-)

Gill

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 5:15 AM

Aye, Gillbrooks, we all are going to make livings out of this. Many people I know make livings out of doing far less than Bryce work. Perhaps we should focus on bringing each other work, and bigger, more massive projects... For example, if you took the top 40 Bryce artists on this site alone, and put them in the same room with a steady paycheck, do you know what you'd have? A goddamn cinematic masterpiece. Let your Dreams awake. Truth is, none of use spend our time efficiently enough when it comes to Bryce. That's the nature of experimentation... We're always wanting to do MORE, instead of finishing a project at hand. There's a point where perfectionism demolishes functionality. Bryce just happens to be the kind of software that leaves it up to the USER to decide this, instead of the program!

dan whiteside ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:40 AM

Usually try to get 3 or 4 hours in on week nights and maybe twice that on weekends but when I'm between contracts I can spend most of my day at work 3Ding. Best; Dan

3dlands ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 7:13 AM

How many hours are there in a week?

let the sun shine all the time

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 7:41 AM
Forum Moderator

168..... Not nearly as much time as I would like. These days I let Bryce render while I'm doing something unrelated. :-(

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

orbital ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 10:33 AM

I'd say about 2 hrs a night, plus most of Saturday. Perhaps we should have a support group, like they do with other addictions. " My name is Joe, and I am a Bryceaholic"

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 11:01 AM

assemblages -back in the 70's, they called it 'found art'..;) hey, for $800..it sounds fairly lucrative..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 12:34 PM

Not counting the render time, I would say approx. 15 to 25 hrs, unless I have some photoshoots on the slate.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

roobol ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 2:39 PM

For me, about 10-12 hours per week. That's pretty much the maximum that my day time job and my wife allow me. I would like to spend more, but then again, my day time job and my wife are fairly addictive, too ;-)

http://www.roobol.be

catlin_mc ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 4:26 PM

I guess it must be around 60-80 hours a week, or if I'm feeling creative forget about sleep. 8) I recently set up another computer that is solely for rendering which frees up my main machine to do the preparity work on. It's a great set up and it also means I can play games whilst still rendering Bryce. 8) Catlin

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 5:02 PM

About 40-50hrs a week split between Bryce, Wings3D, Carrara, Cinema4D, and any other 3D apps I'm currently trying to master. Thats not figuring in how many hours I spend with Painter and PS, and other 2D apps. I do know I love every minute I spend on it though! lol

Ardiva ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:42 PM

Anywhere from 20 to 50 hours. Working on a big project at the moment, so my time is now like up to 60. LOL!

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2004 at 6:45 PM

I don't keep track. (It's what time?) LOL... But when I'm not doing my school work, sleeping, or watching TV. (Life? What's that?) Might be a bit less in the warmer months, as the bicycle starts wanting attention. Didn't put eating down, because I'm pretty good at managing a tray while web browsing or watching a render "bake".

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

hutchingsm ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2004 at 7:32 AM

Err... about a couple of hours a week at the moment.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.