Fri, Sep 20, 3:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: May I ask a stupied question?

Zemela ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 9:35 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:41 AM

Hi, guys, as a newbe here I am not sure how the things are exactly, thats why asking to be sure. So my question is about the mixed media images in the Fractal galery. They are a lot and they are very mixed. I was thinking that here is a place for images which one can create using fractal software. If its combined with Poser, or Photoshop or whatever for sth more than logo or final operations, its already mixed media and concern to Mixed media galery. Please, open my eyes, because seems I am far away from understanding it. Greetings, Lisa

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 10:04 AM

Speaking strictly for myself...
When I create a mixed fractal/other program pic, I tend to post it in both galleries. I also like to post the untouched fractal as well, to show where the starting point was. People seem to like to see the before and after pics for comparison and discussion. (Of course it was easier to do this when I could post 3 pics a day...grin)
There are many of us fractal artists who do post-work, and we are usually quite cool about it here. It tends to be a personal decision in the end.
Good question for a round-robin discussion...

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 10:12 AM

I am interrested in the same question. As a matter of fact I posted one image earlier today with elements from both Apophysis and PaintShopPro, I have noticed that many of the images posted at Fractal gallery are very mixed, and I have been a little confused too about what is allowed and not. So let my image be a kind of test. I mean the one called "Through the diamond gateway"

Rumple ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 3:04 PM

Well, I use plenty of fractals as parts of my Fractal Comics series "Good Wife". The pics are always collages from real fractal pieces, I've rendered before. It is very much work... --- Some people in the Fractal Community like my pics, and many don't like them (they never give me a comment...) --- But where shall I post my pics ? I have the choice: 2D, Comics, Fractal, and maybe Artmatic. --- Most fitting I think is the Fractal-Community. Many people here are very friendly and helpful, and I think with my work I bring in a little fresh air and new thoughts to some. Till now, nobody has thrown me out ;-) --- And postwork, I think, is ALWAYS necessary when you want to make a serious image. Many people (NOT ALL - I know !!!), when they write "no postwork" are only not able to do it. There are so many technical mistakes in some posted pics, I could cry ... (With a little postwork only, they would have been a lot better !) --- BUT the only rule for artists should be : NO RULES ! --- Thank you all, and have a nice day, Kurt (Rumple)

Zemela ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 3:48 PM

Seems I wasnt asking propert. Ill try to explane what I mean - could I take a Poser babe, add her a fractal wings, put in a texture from Photoshop and post in Fractal galery? Sure I could. BUT - is this galery the correct place? This is what I understand under mixed media and this is what I am asking exactly.

Wojteg ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 5:13 PM

Hello! I think the problem is not how MUCH postprocessing is used on fractal image.Problem is if a image is still FRACTAL image. You could check latest KPK images,where he uses some PP,but nobody has a doubt,even at first glance,that they are fractals images. On other hands some people uses other program and ADD more things and finally fractals play there secondary or third part. In these cases I think they should be posted in Mixed Media(that is why we have this gallery). This is no problem to make a plane,clouds and ball in Bryce and no problem to add a fractal,but try to do it in UF . The reason we have these images here,because they have much more views here. Greetings.............Wojtek............

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 8:28 PM

I think most people who post mixed media works in the fractal gallery do so because they are featuring the fractal as the main theme. They may use Bryce or C4d to showcase their fractal in a 3D manner, or they may use poser to bring a human touch to their fractal, or they may simply want to improve the way their fractal looks. In any case, it is the fractal that is most important to them. There are a few people who use all fractals to make images that are not particularly fractal-like, but more like a painting, yet it is all done in a fractal program like UF3. But, mostly, I think, they post here in the fractal gallery because it feels like their home base in Renderosity. I love to see artists using whatever means it takes to share their vision with the world.

Fractals will always amaze me!

nickcharles ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 12:32 AM

Hi Zemela If the main focus of your work is other than a fractal, it would be more appropriate in 'Mixed Media', or elewhere. For instance, if you were showcasing a 'Poser babe', wouldn't it be more suited to the 'Poser' gallery? I'm not against 'mixed media' here. In fact, I really enjoy seeing the 3D/Fractal types, and think they are a neat way to present fractal forms. Going further, there are a lot of images here that are heavily post-processed, yet you can see their fractal beginnings. Hope this helps. Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my Thanksgiving."
-Don Henley

Zemela ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 1:51 AM

Everything is clear, thank you very much for the answers.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.