Mon, Oct 7, 12:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 07 9:52 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: new gallery genre - "tutorial" ?

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2004 at 8:53 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 12:23 PM

I think it'd be very helpful to have a new "Tutorial" genre added to the galleries. Quite many times an artist will show the steps involved in an image, a quick walk-through, or even a mini-tutorial in a single image - but they're not always labeled "tutorial" (or anything else in particular) so you can't just do a search to find them. Some examples of the kind of "lost treasures" I'm referring to: Cameron Tut Pencil to Digital Cloth Painting Jon Making of There are so many cool tips and demonstrations like these that just get lost in the shuffle, but if there was a genre selection, it would sure help them be easier to locate.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2004 at 10:41 PM
Varian ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2004 at 11:16 PM

A few more examples. There's a whole bunch in there, in various software categories, but they are difficult to find unless you "just happen" to be on the right page at the right time to spot one. Lords of War (the making) By Request- Color demo page2 Wheat Fiend - Dev Composite Reminisce WIP/Tutorial.... Digital Photography Light Tutorial Gorilla I've posted several myself, and it's always a dilemma how to classify them so that someone could tell what it is. A "tutorial" or "overview" or "demonstration" genre would make it a piece of cake to find them.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 7:36 AM

I like the idea of haveing a tutorial section, I don't know if it would belong in the galleries. It might also be nice to have a forum just to ask artists how they did something; I know its a question much on my mind while surfing the galleries.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 8:34 AM

I'm not saying a gallery is a bad idea (though its success would depend on the willingness of people to use it as well as view it), but as for creating a forum for tutorials, isn't that what the forums are supposed to be for? I don't know if I was looking for a tutorial on Paint Shop Pro that I would think to look for that tutorial in a forum other than Paint Shop Pro, which is where I go for advice. A lot of tutorials come out of someone askiing "how do I" on the forums specific to a software. I don't know...I just think another forum would just make things even more confusing than they are.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 8:42 AM

You know, I've never thought of posting a direct question to a paticular artist in the forums, I useually ask "how to" not "how did you"; hmmm..

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:44 AM

Hmmm. Maybe it would be nice to add the third option to the dropdown menus: (program) + Nature + tutorial

-- erlik

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 1:40 PM

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting a new gallery category, but a new gallery genre. So that you can upload as usual to (say) Vue d'Esprit gallery, but instead of picking a genre like "animals", you could pick "tutorial" or "demonstration", which would be a more appropriate label. The quick, sponaneous tute-type tips&tech images such as the examples I linked to are already in (and being added to) the galleries; it's just difficult to locate them unless you happen to come across them. A "tutorial" gallery category (alongside the software categories) would not help label these items as per their software. There are artists now who add their mini-tutes to the "Work In Progress" category, for instance, but you can't tell by a glance what software it might be related to. I think the same problem would arise with a "tutorial forum"; most of the forums currently have spontaneous tutorial display within their threads; I wouldn't want to mash them all together into a new forum to try to cover all programs. I enjoy the demo-stuff as linked above, and just think a new genre would help classify them on upload and for later searches. I hope the PTB will consider it.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 6:40 PM

A genre category sounds like a good idea...a genre of tutorials would be very helpful. That would be very useful. I apologize for misunderstanding.

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 7:07 PM

Oh np Dialyn, it's easy to get confused when everything uses the same words to define it. For that reason, I'm not even sure "tutorial" would be the best term for the new genre - we have a "Tutorials" listing in each (or most) forums currently for adding links to cool tutes around the web, plus there's the main "Tutorials" section at the top of each page, and those are separate things indeed. So maybe a name like "demonstration" or "steps" or something would be better. On the other hand, when you say "tutorial," people readily understand there are some tips or techniques being shown, probably a faster understanding than "demonstration."

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 9:50 PM

Demonstration of a techneque?

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 9:55 PM

Sometimes a technique, sometimes a process, sometimes just the steps showing how a certain image came together. Check the example links above; there's quite a variety in them.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:08 PM

Before I caught this in the forums I didn't know they existed.

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:19 PM

::nod:: That's exactly it! I think most members aren't aware of them because they're currently rather "hidden." If there was a genre label to give them, more people could become aware of them and be able to take benefit from them.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:22 PM

Artists page?

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:27 PM

Hm? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. There is already an artist page/home page for each member.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:43 PM

Not so sure it shloudn't be in the sort by section. Then you could find a tutorial for a specific program in a spacific style. i.e poser, gothic, tutorial. "Oh, there's a tutorial for fog effects for my poser gothic renders."

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:49 PM

Yes, I think we mean the same thing. Such as, if a person put together an image that demonstrated hair-painting on a Poser model, he'd upload to the Poser gallery as usual, and select the "tutorial" genre. Someone comes along later with an interest in learning new tips to use with Poser, they'd just have to check "Poser & Tutorial" to go right to whatever's available. As Dialyn mentioned above, the success would depend on people using the selection, but I think if it was in the list of choices, it would get used. (And speaking for myself, I'd definitely go back to previously-uploaded items and edit them to fit into the "tutorial" genre.)

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 10:54 PM

That's true, but some artists my not want to give up some techneques.

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 11:01 PM

Well, no one has to make an image like this, just as no one has to make "animal" or "nature/landscape" or "glamour." It would simply provide an appropriate option for those who do images of this nature.

bevchiron ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 11:09 PM

Good idea Varian, I agree it would make a good addition to the genres.

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 11:45 PM

"Well, no one has to make an image like this, just as no one has to make "animal" or "nature/landscape" or "glamour." It would simply provide an appropriate option for those who do images of this nature."

As an example, just this morning I started to upload an image I painted in Photoshop by following a tutorial purchased from Racin-Jason. I put it in 2D but looked for a "tutorial" or "WIP" genre. There wasn't either so I stuck it in 'landscape' or some such choice. (then I got a server error on upload and it never completed)

I agree, a "tutorial" genre would be helpful.

...... Kendra

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2004 at 2:16 PM

Thank you Varian for the heads up on this subject.. Having posted one of the above mentioned tutorials, listed in the first post of this topic. I do feel as is the idea being laid down here, that a tutorial genre would and could be beneficial to viewers/visitors of the galleries. If we had the chance as Varian is outlining, it would give people an easier opportunity to pick up those tips, and techniques specific to the chosen genre of work they are viewing (2D, Vue, Poser and so forth), rather than the post being made just in the galleries in the hope that people can find it. I know for one that Poser gallery gets pretty swamped most of the time, and a post will buried in no time. Of course, which would probably lead to a fair few number of people missing out on the tutorial post(unless word of mouth alerted them to it). Especially those who are on dial-up (myself included) It is sometimes difficult to browse through pages and pages at a time. And most of the time I browse via the different genre's to make life easier. I don't think it would be difficult to impliment, it would just be a case of adding another genre selection into the upload drop down menu. Thus providing, the chance for people to browse posts easier, without having to wade through pages and pages to find the buried post! Even if people didn't use it much, having it as a selection in the drop down would therefore not require a whole new gallery section to be coded/built.. Just my 2cents worth :) Mike

Zargent ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2004 at 3:05 PM

Well, I am all for it. This is a great idea and will aid "searching" immensely.

SomethingWicked ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2004 at 7:31 PM

I think it's a fabulous idea!

Varian ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2004 at 8:44 PM

Thanks for jumping in here, folks! I was pretty certain I wouldn't be the only one interested, but it's good to see confirmation of that. :)

Mun ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2004 at 11:30 AM

I do have some of my illustrations captured in stages but have no time to write a complete tutorial so I gave them a general descriptions. It is known as WIP or the making rather then tutorial and I will compile all that I have to the gallery when I find the time. Thanks for viewing.

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2004 at 3:02 PM

It'd sure be great to hear an encouraging word or two from staff. Would adding a new genre like this be as simple as it appears? Could it please be considered? :)

LillianH ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2004 at 1:42 PM

Hi there! Interesting suggestion. Personally, I think if an image is going to be classified as a "Tutorial" it would rightly belong in the "Tutorials" section, instead of the Galleries. However, I do see where maybe a "WIP" or "Demo" category within the Galleries maybe a helpful sorting tool. I will post this in Admin for consideration and let you know what happens. Best wishes, LillianH

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2004 at 2:32 PM

Thanks for the response, Lillian! "Demo" or "WIP" would be great! Either term would help this kind of work be easier to locate through sorting/searching, making it more of a viable resource. ::waiting to hear more:: :)

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 1:03 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=657939

I just uploaded another new image which is sort of okay in the "illustration" genre, but it would be a perfect fit in a "demo" or "tutorial" genre instead. Any new word on this proposal? :)

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 11:45 AM

I don't know the status of the new gallery genre, but that is a wonderful effect. Thank you for posting it.

LillianH ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 1:32 PM

My apologies. I meant to get back with everyone, really I did. Especially since we did add a new genre...just for these types of "step-by-step" instruction/tutorial type pics. Hence, the new genre is named "Step-by-Step". (Okay, maybe not my first choice of names.) But, tutorial is already taken in the "Tutorials" section. After looking at several of the referenced examples, this was what we ended up with. Hope this will do the trick. Best wishes, LillianH

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 10:39 PM

This is wonderful, Lillian! Thank you, and thanks to all involved in the discussion. :D ::scurrying off to edit several images into the new genre:: :) :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.