Tue, Sep 24, 7:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: rgb and cymk

reddragon ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2004 at 3:52 AM ยท edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 7:24 AM

file_106625.jpg

can any one help im trying to put a logo on a gradiant background in cymk (it has to be that) iv found the colours in rgb(image1)but when i put them in cymk they come out dark (image 2) but the logo made in 3dsmax and imported as a tiff file comes in the same on both how do i get the gradiant to look the same or am i out of luck

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2004 at 4:15 AM

The blue you are using is rather close to the 'B' in rgb. Cmyk doesn't get any brighter blue than the 'C' in cmyk. It looks that in the cmyk version there is still al lot of magenta in the color, so you could try to remake a cmyk-version that comes close. But it will never look the same. First set a new document to cmyk, next to your rgb original, and search for colors that you find acceptable. It is always a tough discovery and you have to learn, one day, that those eye blinding colors in your rgb designs only work on monitors. So you should avoid them if the final result will be printed. There are advanced techniques, printing in six colors, that can mimic the rgb gamut, but those are very expensive. Good luck!

willf ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2004 at 10:46 PM

All depends on how you need to print this and if it runs by itself or is printed in conjunction with other CMYK images on a printing form. If it runs by itself you could replace the Cyan channel with a Pantone blue that has a little PMS Green as part of its base color (perhaps PMS 312 or somewhere around there). It would modify the color tones within the silver star somewhat (but not dramatically) and would get you closer to the blue background you need. The other option is to add another channel to print a 5th color (PMS your blue of choice) as the background. This would add another printing plate & wash-up to your printing but wouldn't effect any other CMYK images on the printing form and wouldn't effect the silver star either. Extra cost to do this shouldn't cost more then around $150.00 - $200.00 (depending on quantity). As noted by Hoofdcommissaris, CMYK color space is much more narrow then RGB. If you plan to print in CMYK you should almost always begin with CMYK, especially if you need to run your designs by a client.

Serious ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 11:58 AM

Well, you must not listen to me, cause I never printed anything yet, but there are still most of Adjustments menue options even if you converted your image to CMYK already... just select your background area (probably by Select by Color option) and then play with adjustments... I'm sure you'll be pleased with new results in less then a minute :-)

flip ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 3:54 PM

you're not out of luck, you just have a client out of hand. you have to be specific and tell your client (or their wife) that that specific color can be achieved via spot that will add to his usage costs. Good design never relies upon color to get the point across. Professional logo's have to all function well in b/w, one color as well whatever color set the client's wife may be hung up upon. they should also be in a vector format for universality. When working within RGB a good designer will always be thinking of terms of final use. in this case the piece seems to be relying upon color for it's impact vs the positive forms of the spiral just my 2 the arms of the spiral are far too lanky to make it useable. why are you trying to design this in a 3D app? all reflective hotspots will be lost when this reduced in size. Willf, Professionally speaking, I always work on my process color projects within the RGB mode in photoshop so that I can use my filters and get my layers to function properly. IF you need to check to see what falls outside of the CMYK gamit you should use your CMYK preview to check your work.

Serious ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 4:08 PM

Thank you, flip, for a good professional lesson... I must remember it for a case in the future :-) I think, however, reddragon is right about desighning it in a 3D app... many clients today want the logo to be "rotating about the axis" in their web-site or so... useful to a tv commercial compains, too. Thing that must be considered in the process of creating a new logo today :-) Well, I hope to hear the rest of the story, so, please, reddragon, make me know what's going up with it now :-)

reddragon ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 4:22 PM

thanks for all the replys they have been a help. The colours were done in rgb first coz thats what the client wanted as they said that was what was required it was not until the day before going to print that they then decided to read the letter from the publishers(which i did not see) when they then said 'ooops its got to be in cymk but that wont make a difference will it' some words came to mind to say to them but had to hold back. lol so it went to print as was. then spending two weeks finding a better mixed they have decided to go whith a flat blue this time they waited til the night before going to print to decide this fact lol. dont we all love the client
the logo is being done in 3d app format as they want to use it in multi formats mag adds,web page,flash movie, animated on screen saver and to put on the sides of the computers they build so will need to see different views of it

flip ( ) posted Thu, 29 April 2004 at 5:48 PM

"The colours were done in rgb first coz thats what the client wanted as they said that was what was required"

Well, that would have still sent up a red flag in my book.
RGB mode files must be converted in some manner for real world use.

Since when have the clients known anything about what's really required?

They're coming to you because they need expertise (charge them accordingly if you're a expert, pass the job to another, if you're not!!! ) I take all such directives with a few grains of salt. If the clients actually knew what they wanted they would be able to do it all without professional involvement.

It's just that most business people are "A-Type" personalities and have to at least have the illusion of control. Entertain that illusion but also be able to have total control over what' s going on. Otherwise, they'll just make more problems for you then you'll be able to deal with. The designer should be in charge when it comes to design and implementation - period!
Also, if you're creating branding (like logos) you should have a proper printing background to realize that the they're out of CMYK, what that means in terms of usability, transformation and that you'll need a proper vector file .... But, I figure you'll find that out sooner or later via hard knocks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.