Thu, Sep 19, 6:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: bump.bum problem in transposer

Magik1 ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2004 at 1:56 AM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 6:50 AM

Hi all I just got transposer, it all seems to work fine but theres one very annoying problem I keep having! Whenever I import or open a poser5 figure in C3 I get constant mesages from C3 asking me to find bump.bum files. My question is why,when these files are in exactly the same place as all the other tex. files does it do this? Is there a way to stop it? Thanks everyone Roy Summers UK

mikeberg ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2004 at 8:19 AM

I guess you have to rename the files bump.bum in bump.jpg or tif

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2004 at 10:05 AM

Hello Roy, Good question. No answer! For me, it only happens with non-Poser textures, that is, textures from a DAZ product. However,after I save the file and reopen it, I'm not asked for the texture again. Are you getting asked for them on each instance you Open? Mark

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2004 at 12:25 PM

butter, Not sure how Transposer works but I'd assume it's working off the cr2 in Poser. The cr2 might not have the correct reference for the textures you are working with; that would be the likely cause of the message you're getting. You might try working with Hogwarden's correct reference utility (it is or was in freestuff )to correct the references of the cr2 you're working with in Poser. I wouldn't try to correct all the references the utility might find unless you have a couple of hours - just do the ones you're working with. Anyrate its something like that. either the cr2 doesn't have the correct listings or Transposer can't find them. Artists sometimes don't list their textures properly or leave it up to you to list them properly. Good luck with it, - TJ

Magik1 ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 1:51 AM

Hi TJ, Mark and Mikeberg Mark, Yep! every time. TJ I tried correct reference to start with and just ran it all through again, I thought that might be the broblem in the first place! but no joy. I'll maybe get on to the boffins at Eovia. To be honest it doesn't stop it working perfectly well in all other ways, I'm just an inpatient sod. If I get anywhere with it I'll let you all know. Thanks for the reply. Roy

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 1:24 PM

butter, Ya know I misread your problem - sorry about that. generally P5 doesn't use .bum files and for the most part P5 artists have quit including them with their meshes. bum was a red/green based .bmp file renamed .bum for use in P4. You will probably have to convert the bumpmap texture to a .bum (.bmp) somehow. I haven't kept up with how to go about doing that but you would probably have some luck asking in Poser Forum or you could ask the artist if they could create a bum file. It might not work to use a .bum with a P5 mesh but Ockham, Geep or Nerd (to name a few) on Poser Forum would know that for sure. - TJ

Magik1 ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2004 at 3:57 PM

Thanks bikermouse I'll Look into all that! Roy

bijouchat ( ) posted Mon, 24 May 2004 at 3:22 PM

I've noticed that Transposer doesn't understand the .bum file format of Poser 4x. Remove all the .bum files from your scene and it will import without trouble. .bum files can be converted to jpg or tif (I think the green channel is inverted in them if I remember correctly) and can be converted to grayscale and then used as a regular bump map.

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 24 May 2004 at 4:45 PM

You can just open a bum as a bmp in photoshop or rename it as a bmp (they are the same except for the name) - making any necessary conversion to grayscale one step simpler.

bijouchat ( ) posted Mon, 24 May 2004 at 6:18 PM

depends on the bum file - if its a converted bum that has the inverted green channel, you're going to get some weird results from it by doing that - with the bump going the wrong direction in areas, etc. It is a common problem in PPP and P5 renders when they use the old bum files.

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 24 May 2004 at 8:02 PM

I don't know much about that, but if green inversion is a problem you could try the red/green inverter I made for freestuff called "green thingy" a while back. I'm Pretty sure it's still featured on my homepage under freestuff. I don't know if it will work for you but it's worth a try i guess. I'm sure there are other things to try as well - on the mac someone has something similar. If I though about it I could come up with their name. In fact that person gave me a pointer as to how to set up the formula and checked it out as to if it worked properly. And some paint programs might offer this feature as well. - TJ

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.