Tue, Oct 22, 5:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: CHANGE OF RULES FOR FERGUSON'S "ROMANCE LONG AGO" CONTEST

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 7:42 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:34 AM

I must offer my SINCEREST apologies to anyone who so far has purchased a Cimerone product in order to prepare for entering my "Romance Long Ago" contest which starts June 21st. Poser forum moderator Shoshanna has just informed me about 10 min ago by IM that it IS in fact illegal in the state of Tennessee (where Renderosity is located) to run a contest which involves ANY kind of purchase. While my contest didn't demand a purchase (ie/ people who already owned a Cimerone product could use that and not purchase anything new), it was implied that anyone who did NOT yet own something from Cimerone's store would need to purchase one in order to participate. It is my understanding that Cimerone has had a great many sales over the past few days since the original announcement for this contest went out... SO, now that we cannot require the use of one of her products, I am going to increase the prize values for the contest... and for anyone who is offended that they spent on something of Cimerone's and didn't "need" to, please contact ME by IM, not Cimerone, and I will arrange to have Cimerone send you a link to her next product, free of charge. That being said, I have increased the prizes for 2nd and 3rd place, so more people have a chance to win a great prize. HERE ARE THE RULES: 1. Contest will begin on Monday, June 21, 2004 at 12:00 am Renderosity server time (they are on CENTRAL Time, CST), and end at 11:59 pm CST on Friday, July 30, 2004. This means you CANNOT post anything before the start date, or your entry will not be considered... 2. THEME: ROMANCE LONG AGO - You are to depict a romantic scene that could be found on the cover of a romance novel, and it must be set in a "long ago" time... which could be the Old South, Medieval Times, Victorian England, the Italian Renaissance, the Gothic Era ... ANYTHING that predates the 20th century (meaning 1900). 3. Image must be displayed in portrait format, ie/ an example being 8x10 inches, or 600x800 pixels. Anything in landscape format will not be considered. (use the sample image here as a guideline) 4. The image MUST have two Poser characters in it, one male and one female (Vicki/Mike, Steph/Mike, DOrk/Posette)-- NO nudity, with the exception of a possibly bare male chest, as mainstream romance novel covers are frequently depicted in this fashion. There also must be some kind of landscape background behind them, ie/ whether painted, rendered in Bryce, Vue, or what have you (these can also be from any background pkgs which can be purchased or found in free stuff). 5. You must have a title for this novel printed RIGHT ON your image, using whatever text format you like, and your name as the author's name also printed ON the image (see sample image here) -- but in order that I be able to find these in the gallery when I do a search, the gallery title to the image must be "Romance Long Ago" <--typed EXACTLY like this, minus the quotations obviously 6. ONE entry per person ONLY. NO collaborations allowed. Any software can be used, so long as the figures are Poser figures. Postwork is ALLOWED. 7. Comments and ratings MUST be DISABLED on any image submitted to this contest, or your image will not be considered. 9. Work must be YOUR OWN WORK -- ripoffs from other artists will automatically be disqualified. 10. Work must also be NEW and not previously seen in any gallery. (Sample image here is older [repainted hair], but is used as format/theme example ONLY) PRIZES: 1st: - $50 gift certificate to the Renderosity Marketplace purchased by me - choice of ANY 5 items from Cimerone's store - custom screensaver for your work (by ann0314) 2nd: - $25 gift certificate to the Renderosity Marketplace purchased by me - choice of ANY ONE character from Stormi's store (note: items from Stormi's collabs with other artists are ineligible) - custom screensaver for your work (by ann0314) 3rd: - $10 gift certificate to the Renderosity Marketplace (from anonymous donor<--I already have the $$) - custom screensaver for your work (by ann0314) (note: one prize may be added here) JUDGING Same as my last contest, plus the winner from my last contest: Crasher. Judges' decisions are FINAL. HAVE FUN! :O)!!!! SAMPLE IMAGE for the contest can be found in my gallery here: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=692348&Start=1&Artist=Ferguson&ByArtist=Yes

PoisenedLily ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 7:55 PM

I will be sorting over all my recent customers and sending out links over the next day for my newest brush set. You all will get it prior to its mainstream release. I hope no one will be upset with Ferguson over this, she was just trying to do something fun. I will rectify this situation to the best of my ability and hope no one regrets there purchases. The prizes still seem great :) CheeriO! Gina

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 8:00 PM · edited Sun, 13 June 2004 at 8:07 PM

file_112769.jpg

FYI to anyone who's still interested in participating, I'm attaching the sample image for the contest here, as well as having it in my gallery.... you don't have to do your images exactly like mine, it's just a guideline to explain, visually, what I was trying to say in the rules.

Jessie. :)

Again, I am SO sorry to anyone who will feel put out by having purchased only to enter the contest when maybe otherwise they wouldn't have. I hope this will be forgiven, it was a mistake, and it will not happen for the next contest. Note the "prize may be added here" for 3rd place IS the $10 gift certificate. In my haste to post the rules change, I forgot to take that part out, though I did add the prize*

Message edited on: 06/13/2004 20:07

Varian ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 8:08 PM

Looking forward to seeing the entries to this one! :)

GraphicsMuse ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 8:12 PM

Sounds cool to me. I needed Cimerone's brushes anyway so I don't mind all this ;o)

FlyByNight ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 8:34 PM

LOL, I grabbed the brushes, too. They'll always come in handy. ;o)

FlyByNight

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 9:10 PM

Well, I just looked into my stuff, and I found out I already bought two of Cimerone's characters. So this change of rules really makes no difference to me. I'll join, just for the fun of it.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

SpiceBunny ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 9:35 PM

O_o regardless still, Cimerone's stuff is nice and i'll still participate :) hugs jessie

MistDragon ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 9:35 PM

Cimerone I bought your hair brushes with intent to use for the contest, but I am so happy with them it doesn't matter to me about not having to buy anything after all :) Thanks Ferguson for the great contest idea!

MISTDRAGON

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 9:37 PM · edited Sun, 13 June 2004 at 9:37 PM

Thank you guys SO much... I feel just terrible that I let this happen at all... but am humble and grateful for your generosity of spirit. :) Jessie.

On the plus side, there are better prizes now though, lol

Message edited on: 06/13/2004 21:37

Irish ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 9:47 PM

Not your fault Jessie....please don't feel bad. You've brought a lot of pleasure with your past contest and I know you will with this one too. Nice to see this sort of spirit in our community. :)Irene

ann0314 ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 10:35 PM

Hey sweetie don't loose heart :O) we all make mistakes and honestly those that bought Cimerone's brushes have been blessed...they are well worth it and for some of us it just gave us a nudge to try out painting hair...so good caqme out of it :O) You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEET AND GENEROUS for doing anything at all...and I'm sure pepole will stop and realize that....you're the best :O) HUGS and thanks for all these wonderful contests...it is very generous and sweet of you.... :O) ann0314 :O)

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 10:36 PM · edited Sun, 13 June 2004 at 10:46 PM

Thank YOU guys!! :O) You're making this very easy on me. :O) And now don't quote me on this, because it's still being looked into, but if all goes well, once this contest "goes live" on June 21, there will be a place for it on Renderosity's front page. IF this happens, contest images will be submitted to the contest area, just as they are currently being done for the Spring Fever contest. It would be great exposure for everyone's artwork too, I think. You'll see on June 21, on the front page, if it materializes Again, thanks all. :))

Message edited on: 06/13/2004 22:46

Wildflowers ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 11:12 PM

Well all is clarify ;-) I would like to say, i buy something from Cimerone and is not just for the challenge !..Is for me too ;-D I don't regret anything! So we will make this beautiful challenge... with all the requirements! And no more problem of conscience for anybody! I find that Ferguson is extremly generous as regards the price. This is really nice She's keeps the same prices! Well is tiguidou my friend! :-D Wildflowers

rhiafaery ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2004 at 11:56 PM

Oh Ferguson, thank you so much for this! I really wanted to enter this one, but money is pretty short this particular month and I couldn't afford to really pony up anything, although I wasn't mad at all about it, just figured this was one contest I wouldn't enter. :) Anyways, thank you again for your generosity, and after looking over Cimerone's store I think I will put something of hers next on my list when I get hold of some more money. :D

romanceworks ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 12:18 AM

We already owned Cimerone hair brushes one and two - and LOVE THEM! So regardless of change in contest rules, we'll be using them in our image. But it's great that more people can participate now. Thanks for dreaming up such a fun concept, Jessie. Looking forward to seeing all the romantic covers.BTW - your "Bye Bye Blackbird" is wonderful.:o) Carol

beos53 ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 1:51 AM

Can we base the art work we do on old popular song? I mean use that as a theme?

PoserPro 2014, Windows 7, AMD FX-6300 6 core, 8 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 4:23 AM · edited Mon, 14 June 2004 at 4:31 AM

Thank you, everyone!! And beos53, I'd rather you didn't do that, only to be safe regarding copyright. After all we've gone through with this contest so far, I think it's best not to base your image on anything other than your original concept (sorry to be a wet blanket there, just trying to be safe) -- I know that my sample image here, "Bye Bye Blackbird", IS actually the title of a song, but the image at any rate is not eligible for the prize, so it's "ok" in this instance (I hope -- if not, I will do a new sample image title NO PROBLEM).... but because there is profit to be gained from the contest, it might be an infringement for any images to do this... so just to be safe... PHew... I don't know if I just made this more or less confusing. hehe

Message edited on: 06/14/2004 04:31

elizabyte ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 5:08 AM

Titles aren't copyrightable, and neither are song concepts translated into artistic interpretations. I could do an image called "Desperado" and so long as I'm not reprinting the lyrics or music of that classic Eagles song, I'm not in violation. ;-) NOT that I'm trying to second guess anyone. I'm just one of those people who doesn't like to see copyright myths perpetuated, and the "titles are copyrighted" thing is one of those. :-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 5:29 AM

Ah well then GOOD!!!! beos53 there ya go. :O) I'm just a little on the paranoid side on the moment given my enormous faux pas with the start of this contest.

DarkStarRising ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 5:45 AM

wow, what a shame, but at least those of us who havent purchased can now enter! seems a shame, and i never knew it was illegal, but i aint in the US so what do i know! anyway dont worry ferguson, we all understand the predicament, but we are all supportive of you no matter what, and those of you that do this wonderful contests too :D so keep yer chin up and smile!

In the words of DarkStarRising:
"Sadness within sadness,
Darkness within darkness,
a shadow of a form lays upon the floor,
looking at herself
looking at her own shadows of loneliness"

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 6:08 AM

:) Yep now everyone can enter and the prizes are better so... :) hehe Although I am sincerely sorry for anyone who might be offended by having purchased something when they didn't "have" to.

BellaMorte ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 7:34 AM

Bookmarked :)

Lunaseas ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 7:40 AM

kmw ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 8:05 AM

Quote - MUST have two Poser characters in it [end quote] Does this mean it can't have more than two? i.e., a heartbroken woman watching her true love with someone else; a dog running alongside them, etc. Just wondering. kmw

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 8:09 AM

No that's fine, kmw, no problem. As long as there's the traditional man/woman depiction on it. We HAVE seen mainstream romance novel covers with a love triangle, so that's totally cool. :) OH, and I keep forgetting to mention this but a V3/V3 cover is OK so long as one of them is morphed as a male, so as to represent the mainstream romance novel cover. :))

SpiceBunny ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 8:29 AM

lol ... stalking a bookshop and look at all the books with a woman/man images on it made the person in charge of the shop be suspicious of me. and i've yet to find woman/woman images or man/man images. but then, books like that are not approved, especially where i lived. for a person who owns less than 5 romance books - this is gonna be jolly fun.

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 8:38 AM

Oh I go into bookstores to browse the romance and fantasy sections all the time, just to look at the cover art. And no, you're right, SpiceBunny. In mainstream romance fiction, it's man/woman, and that's what we're doing here. Why I said using V3 and V3 is OK is because V3 does have male morph options that can make her look like a man, except for one thing, which will be covered by the clothing anyhow, so... it's all good. :))

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 8:42 AM

LOL! The only romance novel I've ever read was the one I proofed for a very good friend. At least we don't have to read the books, just eyeball the covers to guage the conventions. Carolly

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 8:53 AM

LOL, that's right!!! And of course the titles, since you're required to put a title on the cover as well.

elizabyte ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 8:58 AM

i've yet to find woman/woman images or man/man images They're out there, but they're not really mainstream. There is a market for gay/lesbian romance novels, though. ;-) I've been reading romance novels (mostly historicals, but I read contemporaries now and then) for a very long time, as in, more than 25 years now. I read the "bodice rippers" and the pirate ones and all the other trends that these things go through... The cover art has changed considerably for some publishers, though, which is good. They used to all have "nursing mother" covers (so-called because the woman always had huge breasts about to burst out of her bodice), and then, somewhere, some genius though, "Wait! These are read by a largely female audience, what if we put a SEXY GUY on the cover?!" and suddenly Fabio had a career... ;-) I am planning on entering this contest. I'm working on the characters now, in fact. ;-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 9:05 AM

YAY, Bonni, looking forward to it. And yup, I'm thinking mainly the Fabio TYPE covers for this contest. Some of that art is just gorgeous. ps/ My sister's name is Bonnie too... different spelling, but same name. :)

Vampir3Princess ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 9:30 AM

Ohh!! This is really good news for me (and many others I know) :D Thanks for letting me know about the change of rules! You know I don't have a credit card and wouldn't be able to purchase anything from the market place but now that it isn't required you can count on my participation! :D :D Have a nice week Jess and all of you!! Muah! Hugs 'n Kisses Alejandra

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 9:49 AM

I think it did work out better for everyone concerned so that's great, and everyone has been really gracious, so... :) I'm looking forward to your artwork, Alejandra!! Gracias!

PoisenedLily ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 10:29 AM

and suddenly Fabio had a career... ;-) elizabyte you just made me spit my coffee everywhere lol. That was hysterical lol. I truly appreciate everyones understanding in this. You are all very wonderful :) Now everyone HAVE FUN! lol (Hey I coulda said "Everyone wang chung tonight" lol) HUGS Gina a.k.a Cimerone

elizabyte ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 10:35 AM

My sister's name is Bonnie too... different spelling, but same name. Bonnie was my grandmother's name. ;-) Oooh, Gina, sorry about that monitor! Hehehe. By the way, folks, Cimerone (Gina) makes fabu stuff, so check out her store even if you don't have to use a product for this contest. You won't be sorry! (And no, nobody's paying to say that, I really like her stuff :-) bonni

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 10:50 AM

:O)

PoisenedLily ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 11:11 AM

Awww thanks elizabyte! You are too sweet. Gina

Elfenone ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 12:53 PM

How lovely of you to personally inform me of this. I hadn't even had a chance to look the first time you told me of the contest so I was un-aware of anything needing changed. That's what I get for multi-tasking all the time. Ever feel the need for two heads and 4 hands?

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 12:55 PM

Yep, how about an entire clone of myself? So that one can do all the hard stuff and I can sleep. hehe And you're welcome. :))

Folded ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 3:12 PM

Hmmm ... (going back and re-reading the rules) ... There wouldn't be a loophole in this where a dash of science fiction could peak through? Perhaps something like travelling through time? Picture H.G.Wells time machine in the back of the cover, or perhaps (dare I say it ...) the 'Enterprise' hovering low in the sky with a Kirk-like person (complete with uniform) wooing a local maiden fair? ... LOL!!! Sorry about the joke, (I'm a techie) but it just struck while reading through the thread here! (I've read a few of romance type books in my dark past, so do know what the theme really is;-) BTW: finding example covers to get the general idea from is just a google search away. Save the poor store clerk some stress:-) (Found one site with Fabio based covers already - http://www.fabioifc.com/BOOKCOVERS/FabioCovers.html)

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 5:04 PM

Actually, as great an idea as that is, Folded, that would have to be a no... because the time period must predate 1900. Maybe the next contest will be a scifi one!! :)) Doesn't have to be FABIO... just the idea of those painted historical romance novel covers... :O)

SpiceBunny ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 9:28 PM

lol ... i found some sites that have romance bookcovers on it. lol. come to think of it - i dont remember bookmarking it!

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2004 at 9:33 PM

Avon books publishes the kinds of novels we're talking about here, or Dorchester press, or Harlequin Historicals... or writers like Kathleen Woodiwiss (some of her books), or Michele Hauf, ... HOpe that helps!!! OH, Samantha James, some of hers...Linda Needham... if you do a search on google or even at amazon.com, you should find plenty of examples. :)!! If you're still stuck, anyone, write again and we'll see what we can come up with.:D!

disneyfabfive ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2004 at 1:41 PM

Would the size 500 x 600 be alright. I can't go 600 x 800 on my monitor and still have work area. Thanks, Beth

disneyfabfive ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2004 at 2:44 PM

Here is a great site for ideas http://www.romancebookcovers.com/ Beth

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2004 at 8:06 PM

disneyfabfive: work with a 450 x 600 work area (right proportions) and render to a new window as large as you want!

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

disneyfabfive ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2004 at 10:03 PM

Thanks will do Beth

kmw ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 12:40 PM

Not to step over any one else's advice but you can take svdl's advice a step further. Depending on the size of your screen, here's what you do: create a window with the dimensions as close as you can get (Window/Document Window Size). Poser can create an 600 x 800. [I don't think it can go beyond 999 or something.] Okay, you've got this giant window taking up all your space (again, depending on your monitor). But here's whatcha do. Open Document Window Size a second time, check off 'Constrain aspect ratio' and change, say, the width to a more desirable size for your monitor. The height will adjust accordingly. Even if you click and drag now, the window will retain the ratio. Here's the final step: when you're ready to render, if you indeed need the larger size, render to a New Window. Make sure under Render Options you 'Match Document Window' and the 'Constrain' option is selected. Now type in 600 for the width and boom!, you should get 800 for height. (That's of course if your original document has the correct ratio.) Just another helpful hint from the Book of Ken. take care and hope it helps kmw

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 2:32 PM

The maximum working window size depends on the resolution you're working with. I can set a working window size of 1585 x 1190 (at a screen resolution of 1600 x 1200). Render to new window can render to sizes almost as big as you want (depends on your amount of RAM) but I've seen sizes of up to 4000 x 4000 pixels! So you can make the final render almost as big as you want. Caveat- watch the background pictures, they might get really blocky and ugly. It's usually better to add a background pic in postwork. Hope this is useful info, Steven.

elizabyte ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2004 at 1:13 AM

Perhaps something like travelling through time? Actually, the "time travel" novel is a specific sub-genre of romance. There are plenty of them out there. Probably the best example would be Jude Devereaux's "A Knight in Shining Armour" (maybe it's Armor), a book which I would recommend to ANYone, not just romance fans. It's a wonderful and entertaining story with lot of comedy and romance. :) Generally, though, in the time travel genre you don't have too much focus put on the means of moving through time. It's some ancient magic spell or a prayer or stepping through a fairy ring or something of that sort. Sometimes they just get conked on the head and wake up in a different time... bonni (yes, I know a lot about romance novels ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.