Fri, Sep 20, 9:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: one body part following another during an animation

PoserDreamers ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 7:56 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 6:33 AM

Hi! I want a body part (eg. an hand) of an actor to follow the movements of another body part (eg. the head) of another actor, during the animation. For example, I put the actor-one's left hand over the actor-two's head at frame one. Then, I bend the head of actor two and I want the hand of actor one to follow its movements. In other words, the hand will stay firlmy on the head of the other actor, during the movement of the head! Is there any way to do this with poser? Thanks!

Essexboy ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 8:29 AM

maybe you can try parenting the hand to the head it may work,not to sure in anims thought but worth a try essexboy

msg24_7 ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 1:57 PM

If you're using Pro Pack or Poser 5, maybe Python is an option... Scourge made a script, where on actor follows another actor... http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1719246

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 2:04 PM

file_113116.jpg

Position the hand on the head, then turn on Inverse Kinematics for the arm, parent the hand to the head.

This only works for the end node ('goal') of an Ik chain. By default the hands and feet are end nodes.

PoserDreamers ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 3:58 PM

Thank you very much! You solved my problem! Great.

Larry F ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 4:09 PM

That seems like a terrific solution! Out of the most abject curiosity, could this be done with whole figures, i.e., a man dancing with a woman, where in the man's movements would be reflected in the woman. He takes a side step with his left foot, she follows with her right? Or any other of whatever number of combinations. I can do the dancing in the real world but have no real idea about the virtual world. Could, for instance, a figure walking forward have its movements reflected/mirrored by another figure walking backward, perhaps using the walk designer?

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 5:44 PM

"...could this be done with whole figures, i.e., a man dancing with a woman, where in the man's movements would be reflected in the woman." I don't think this could be done with IK, perhaps with ERC, but it would be an awful lot of work.

Larry F ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 9:36 PM

That's pretty much what I have been thinking, i.e., ".... an awful lot of work ...." Thanks for the reply though. Perhaps a challenge for some of the more deeper thinking wizards in Poser land.

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2004 at 2:26 AM

You should be able to do the dancing thing in Python.

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2004 at 2:38 AM

Thank you, stewer. I'd KIND of thought that but had gotten a bit discouraged with Python back when I was still running Win 98SE. I have noticed, though, many many fewer problems on XP. It's something (one among many, LOL) I'd like to explore more though. In the meantime, got any samples?

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2004 at 4:19 AM

The basic idea would be using parameter callbacks. There are examples coming with Poser (muscleMag.py, blinkChannels.py) that do things within one character (like magnets changing depending on bendign the arm); The same principles would apply to make one body part of figure A react on a body part of figure B. For example, you could write a script that'd make Vicky smile everytime Michael shows his biceps ;)

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2004 at 5:00 AM

Man, that sounds very promising, although a bit too Python techhie for yours truly, at least just now. But as an end user, I could see all kinds of possibilities. Frankly, I've had ideas about doing some dancing (tango) animations using the walk designer for a lot of it (tango has a lot of walking with a myriad of variations possible) and use these as fodder for, for starters, sketch designer renders, then further manipulation in various other proggies, (Paint Shop Pro and Microsoft ProDraw, to name a couple). But then, I've had a lot of other such ideas for a long time and they're still just that - ideas - to this point. This one keeps coming up, though, mainly because the number of viable animation "looks, styles" possible with postwork, some of which could no doubt be batched with scripts in, say, Python. Ahhhh! Better go to bed now. Got my 6-year-old granddaughter tomorrow. Gonna be fun, but need to rest, were past incidents an accurate indicator. Thanks for your feedback, though, very much!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.