Mon, Oct 7, 12:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 07 9:52 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Hmmm

manleystanley ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 10:22 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 12:21 PM

glad I got the chance to read the last post before it was locked and all responces deleated.

JeniferC ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 10:57 AM

Attached Link: http://cp.hosting.renderosity.com/psoft/servlet/psoft.hsphere.CP

There was a *LOT* of wrong information in those post. If you're interested in the correct hosting cost and features, please use the link and select the comparisons. Thanks, Jenifer

manleystanley ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 12:02 PM

Hmmm, no use to me. my last terragen animation was 1.07gig, yes gig. With compression I managed to get it down to 540meg.

JeniferC ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 12:26 PM

WOW! That's pretty big.

Spike ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 12:51 PM

:) Try doing a full DVD...... That will make ya want to go out and get a big drive or two..

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 2:46 PM

What if you already have a domain name?

JeniferC ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 4:27 PM

You can use our web services with or without a domain name. You can transfer your domain to our DNS servers or have a default web access. All the plans offer DNS service for one domain name, but you have to register your own.

gddesigner ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 6:37 PM

I guess when you point out how outrageously "R" has priced their hosting plans, then people post GOOD companies to host with, the delete the posts and lock the thread. Should we start another thread that has the names and URLs of resonably priced hosting companies?

JeniferC ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2004 at 11:24 PM

Oh, yeah...that's how it really is (devious smile). If that's what you want to believe go ahead. I'd personally rather point out all the inaccurate info you posted, gd. But, it's really not a professional thing to do. I like to believe that if people don't understand something, they'd ask instead of making wrong assumptions.

gddesigner ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 12:50 AM

JenyK "I'd personally rather point out all the inaccurate info you posted" Please do... because since I used their plan comparison chart page, and checked my math, I'm betting others are coming up with "inaccurate" info also. And if it was just my inaccurate info, why was the whole thread nuked and not just my post, or have me "correct" the inaccuracies???

MadYuri ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 6:14 AM

Call me simple and slap me with a stick but I think those rates are not exactly a good deal.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 9:51 AM

spike, that was just onw of the terranium scripts that I let run. there was one I started tha was of a large terragen file with several layers, after 14 hours of running I only had 11 frames. I think if I had let it run it would have filled my discdrive before complation. people please do not start something with other people in my thread. I've done a little reseaech and this seems like a competitive price for a PREMIUM service.

gddesigner ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 11:20 AM

"64.95 a month, when in fact the correct amount is "starting at 14.95 a month." Almost... I said if I got their starter package, AND wanted 5 more email addresses, a static IP address, an alias domain name (and a couple other things that usually come standard with any hosting plan... don't remember exactly) then it TOTALS $64.95 a month. Then compared it to other hosting companies that offer all those pieces for about $29.95. Then other people added that they get all that for as little as $6 a month (yearly plan I think)... then other asked for the URL of those hosting companies. That's when the thread got nuked. I received a site letter stating that "advertising" was in my post and that's why my post was nuked... but didn't mention why everyone else's was also removed when they didn't "advertise" anything, just stated some prices of their hosting. I guess the thread was just too embarrassing for them...

Spike ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 11:22 AM

manleystanley, :) I hear that, I render my animations as uncompressed bmp images, then seq them in Vegas. 720X480 @ 96dpi 1,216 kb each image X # of frames = A buttload of space needed. But I get great looking animations out of it... :)

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 11:53 AM

I don't think my personal desires should over rule my business ethics. So, I'll just list info on our services, and not attack your services. Had youre post noted there are other services with competitive pricing, etc; I don't think the post would have been removed. The admin that removed the post saw it as an attack which is against our TOS, and a competitor getting free advertising instead of paying for banner ad. (Im sure in hind site they probably would have done it differently, but, unfortunately, we dont get the privy of hind site we were trying to make a decision). I'm sure you & other providers have plans that fit some people's needs better than ours--and vice versa. I think the value should determined by what the buyers needs are. So I encourage buyers to look around for what's right for them before buying. I'd like everyone to know that I'd be glad to customize plans for anyone that is interested--say if they need more space & bandwidth without a lot of extras. However, if people are just need space & bandwidth, I hope they'd look into our File Locker or File Locker Plus services since that may be better suited for them. I understand that the chart page may be a little confusing for some people. The "starter" plan is $14.95 a month and is a true web hosting package, not just a space for files. That means full service that has lots free features with options to add on mysql database, static ip and more. Below Ive listed all the info for the Starter: Browser based control panel, so site can be maintained from any Internet connection 150MB for Web Hosting with 5GB of Bandwidth transfer 5 email accts-10MB of storage (on its own mail server-not deducted from web space) cgi-bin php module 1 Domain name service (w/1 free alias) 1 sub-domain FTP access with multi-user level permissions Web Logs & Stats using industry preferred Webalizer ADD-ON for No setup fee & $10 a month each (shouldnt be needed on a starter) MySQL database Static IP Additional domains Additional emails $2 per month each without Setup fees Yes, some of the add-ons to the starter plan can get pricy if the buyer ignores the other plans that come with more for free. By moving into the next bigger plan, a person can save money (thats why its called a starter). Im an optimist so I believe in friendly competition. I guess its time I wake up and realize its the biggest oxy-moron that exists : ) I don't go to your site attacking your company, making false, libelous statements & expecting free advertising. If I did, I would expect to have my post removed. Jenifer

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 2:29 PM

I guess my host sucks. For $19.95 a month I get 64 gigs of bandwidth, 2.5 gigs of disk space, 300 e-mail accounts, 15 full domains, 75 sub domains, 24 hour technical support (e-mail), 3 phone supports per month, unlimited e-mail aliases, plus every bell and whistle imagineable. If I pay two years in advance, the price drops to $15.95 per month.

It pays to shop around.

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 2:44 PM

erm.. Jenny.. a quick websearch turns up any number of better deals for hosting that this site is offering.. why should we take this up? I really am looking for a reason, but I'm not seeing one so far.

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 3:46 PM

TD, sounds like a good deal to me. It makes me wonder how long the company has been around and how much longer it will be around and where's the catch (locked into contract, pre-paids not refundable, or tech support cost above allowance)... Given the cost, I don't see anyway they can stay in business. I'm sure we can drop prices for members to have to pay two years in advance. I know that some companies over sell their services, so it's not all available if you really wanted to use it to max all the time. Or they have high amounts, knowing that most people won't ever use that much and they really make their money off the people that barely use bandwidth or support. Not that this applies to the company your using, I'm just listing some of the variables that come into play with hosting. A quick web search also turns up a lot of hosting deals that appear worst. Why does anyone use them? There's a big list of possible reasons with that question. Reliability, service, support, trusted company, having other connections & services with the same vendor, etc. No one has to take this up. If you really want to use our service, but feel there's not a plan for you. Tell me what you want. If I can do it, I will. If I can't, then you've got a list of other providers from your web search that you can use. Website hosting is a business. Some of these businesses make money, and some don't. The ones that don't die off. I've worked for years at an ISP. I'm familiar with the cost of hosting which many newer providers don't understand. I've seen hundreds of web hosting providers start up and die off. I won't allow our web hosting to be run at a loss just to compete with companies that do operate with losses. I'm not forcing anyone to use our service. I know it's not the cheapest, but I believe it's a better quality of service. You may not believe that's true--we're all entitled to our opinions.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2004 at 11:52 PM

Spike, I'm sure this has your atention so......... is there anyway; progam, that will animate jpegs,. or how/ should I convert my bit maps to, to drop there size? oh damb, thats off topic. so... I'm poefolk I'm looking at 2.95; if I get the six month, 30meg and ...well...150 meg bandwidth.

Spike ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 12:35 PM

Vegas will.. It's very cool the way it works, you simply select the first image and it has a option to select all under the same nameset.(if you are asking that) When you say "animate jpegs", are you wanting to animate from jpgs? if so, I do not reconmend that, too much loss. If you are wanting to animate to jpegs, that is what a mpeg is. but there are a lot of other options as well Again, Vegas is a great option. Hope that is what you are asking

manleystanley ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2004 at 11:21 PM

spike, steped to the proper forum.

bonestructure ( ) posted Mon, 19 July 2004 at 9:40 PM

I've mentioned the people that host me AIHostco many times here at rosity, with nary a problem, so while I may disagree with the admins on quite a few things, I don't think they would remove a thread simply because it mentioned other host companies.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

gddesigner ( ) posted Mon, 19 July 2004 at 11:37 PM

bet me! :)

elizabyte ( ) posted Mon, 19 July 2004 at 11:43 PM

Personally, I recommend getting your own server and running it as a colo, preferably with a small but dedicated group of cohorts to share bandwidth and equipment expenses. Well, it works for me... ;-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.