Sun, Sep 22, 10:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: More morph problems...

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 8:00 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 10:30 AM

file_119322.jpg

I hate bothering y'all again, but I've tried everything I can think of! Following Dr. Geep's tut, I experimented with making a simple morph for the dolphin's fin. I loaded the fin into Wings and moved a few vertices around, then sent it back into Poser as a morph target. You can look at the pic and see what the problem is. For some reason adjusting the morph's dial *moves* the fin up or down! I didn't move the fin at all in Wings, and to make sure, I redid it a couple times, with the same result. I must have missed something really simple and obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is!

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 8:39 PM

My guess would be that you did not use the geometry object for the dolphin to make your morph, but instead exported just the fin as an object from Poser. If so, that is okay, only did you zero the figure before you exported the object?

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 8:55 PM

Zero the figure as in, reset all the paremeter dials to 0? Yeah I tried that, same effect. Also tried exporting the whole dolphin, it ended up with a different number of vertices (no idea how that happened). All the info on morphs say export only the part that will be morphed, so I only exported the fin.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 9:15 PM

file_119323.jpg

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 9:22 PM

Ah, the good Dr. is in the house. I will bow out and let a real Professor instruct you.

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 9:53 PM

Ok, Poser 3 doesn't allow "full body" morphs. There's no way to apply a morph to the whole dolphin. The body>properties window only has a "visible" check box, and no morph target option =/ Sigh I wish I could upgrade. I was going to try and make some texture and morph packages for the marketplace to raise some cash, but now I guess I'll just have to hope that my SSI comes through, and I have something left over each month to save. =/ Sigh

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 1:26 AM

Hey thanks for that Poser 3 screenshot :o) As I started playing with Poser when P4 came out, I have never actually seen P3. What are those little pins/buttons at the lower left of the document window for? In "Window" menu, do you have a Joint Editor? That's where you zero the character in Poser 4 and above, I assume it's the same in Poser 3. Hit that and import your morphed obj, then align those 2 so that they are exactely on top of each other (except for the parts that are supposed to move of course) then export the obj out of Poser again, as morph target, and try. It should stop the moving of things.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 8:43 AM

All vesions of Poser require you to create morphs part by part - a Full Body Morph is a way of changing the morphs on multiple parts from a single dial, not a way of loading a modified version of the geometry in a single step. When zeroing the figure are you making sure that the translation, scale and rotate dials on the Body are set to 0/100% as well as those on the individual body parts?

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 1:51 PM

file_119324.jpg

I'm talking Poser 4, but I assume it's the same in Poser 3. When exporting the fin you should not need to zero anything (the one exception is any morphs that have been applied to the fin). In the export options box, make sure tick only "As Morph Target (no world transformations)".

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 2:13 PM

That option isn't in Poser 3. Thanks anyway though.

shadownet ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 2:43 PM · edited Thu, 29 July 2004 at 2:45 PM

Heya, what you need to be working with is the fin body part, but to extract it, the whole figure needs to be zeroed using the joint editor. There are two ways you can do this.

1. Load the dolphin into your Poser work window.
  2. Select Body for the dolphin
  3. Open the Joint Editor - Windows>Joint Editor
  4. Click on the Zero Figure Button
  5. Close Joint Editor
  6. Export Fin to be morphed in wings as follows
    (a) File>Export>Wavefront Obj
    (b) Select Single Frame (if Prompted)
    (c) Select Right (or Left) Pect Fin (or body part desired)
    from the Heirarchy export window (uncheck other items)
    (d) Click Ok, and give name for obj when prompted to save
    (e) In gray export option window, check Include existing
    groups in polygon groups, uncheck all other boxes, click Ok.

Option 2

(1) Launch Poser and create an empty work window by deleting any figures
(2) Go to File>Import>Wavefront Obj and scroll to find dolphin object in geometry folder, will probably be something like runtime:geometries:dolphHi:dophHi.obj
(3) Uncheck all boxes in Prop Import options window
(4) Open grouping tool
(5) Use popdown window and find body part group you want, i.e., rightFin
(6) Create New Prop - to spawn the fin as a stand alone obj
Give it whatever name you want
(7) Close grouping tool, delete dolphHi.obj, this leaves just the rightFin object you made.
(8) Export from Poser as obj as described above

Now you should be able to use this obj in wings to make your morph. Be care not to disturb its position in wings when you import it as you want it to remain in proper zero to the dolphin figure. Once you have reshaped it as you want, you can load it into Poser as a Morph Target as you did before.
It should work right now.

Rob P.S. Oh, you may have to guess at some of my instructions as I have not used P3 in a long long time and tried to do this from memory. If you find yourself stumped on one of the steps, because P3 does not seem to have that option, you might be able to skip it - or else just ask and I will try to clear up the difference.

Message edited on: 07/29/2004 14:45

SnowFox102 ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2004 at 4:50 PM

Poser 3 doesn't have a joint editor, or grouping tools. Just forget it y'all, P3 is obviously too out-dated for what I want it to do. Thanks anyway. :(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.