Fri, Sep 20, 11:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Working on a website for my photos what do you think?

Randys ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 1:50 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:41 PM

Attached Link: http://www.rsdigitalgallery.com/

This site is not functional yet, you can view the final for the front page. Randy

Michelle A. ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 4:56 PM · edited Tue, 03 August 2004 at 4:58 PM

Absolutely beautiful (it's not very often that I go gaga over someone's personal website) the design is fantastic... love the font, wonderful colors... very professional and sophisticated looking.

Message edited on: 08/03/2004 16:58

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

Akinom ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 5:02 PM

A fantastic job you've done here! The design is marvellous! Michelle said it already... very professional and sophisticated looking. Compliments! I'll be back to see it growing!

logiloglu ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 5:20 PM

looks very wonderful and elegant. !!!!!! #:O) !!!!!!!

Randys ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 6:12 PM

Although I would like to take the credit for the design I have only given input on the look and function. I commissioned a a designer to do the site. I'm very excited about it and hope it will be finished soon. Randy

LostPatrol ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 6:21 PM

Hi I tried to post here but it failed, I have sent you an e-mail. Regards Simon

The Truth is Out There

Michelle A. ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 7:20 PM

Simon gets the paddle for messing up the thread!!! Your code made things all kooky! spank

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

zhounder ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 9:13 PM

Wow! Very nice! I did find a few minor things you need to look at. First keep in mind I am using Netscape 7.01 on Win2k. When flipping from the Gallery to the About page, the upper blue/grey band defining the text area from the graphic above jumps just about 5 pixals. If you check the images and the code, either the images are 5 pixals different or you may have a border defined in the table for the text on one of the pages. The other thing is on the About page. There is a difference in the Font between the main body and the bullets. Lastly, in the About page, the third line has a Non-breaking space (:&nbsp:" in the source) between the words "Beamer" and "flash" The site is abolutely outstanding though, I am totally "wowed". Magick Michael

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 1:39 AM

Looks very good.

But check your spelling. There's a couple of odd word choices on the "About" page that could easily be spelling errors mis-corrected by spelling check software.

The comment above about the non-breaking space; they can get slipped in by some web-creation software when you type two consecutive space characters. The string is " "

(NB. The preview changes some HTML strings in the Edit message window, so they don't work when you post the message.)

jimry ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 2:47 AM

Very pro and clean Randy...congrats :) zhounder: Its not Randys or his designers fault...its one of the hassles of cross browser things...Netscape is more particular about tags and codes, and tables whereas IE is more lenient on what you can do. cheers jimbO

Randys ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 7:26 AM · edited Wed, 04 August 2004 at 7:27 AM

Thanks for the input, it's a work in progress and and there are some areas that need to be tweaked. When finished I will use it to sell some prints, I have really never done that be for and I will use the web site to back up any show that I do. I'm sure that all of you have heard from friends and family " you should sell some of you photos" I'm preparing to try that.

Randy

Message edited on: 08/04/2004 07:27

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 4:58 PM · edited Wed, 04 August 2004 at 4:59 PM

It is a very nice design.Actually makes me jealous because I just finished designing mine again.Your contact pages needs to be linked up.So far only 3 images go to a page,but I'm sure you are working on that.Go to sitemeter and get a free counter for your stats.Add it to bottom of your homepage under <.map>.You can keep a good recored of where traffic is coming from.I think it would be a good idea to link the 4 images on the homepage to the pictures,you could change these and use them as feature of the week or month images.
I'll take any C&C on mine too
www.dbgrafix.com

Message edited on: 08/04/2004 16:59

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

zhounder ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 6:26 PM

db, Check with your host, you may not need a counter to get the stats you want. I use Dreamhost and the stats provided in the administration portion of my account are amazing. they are alomost too much info. I can tell you what page was hit from where how often and what browser along with the settings on their machine. I know how many AOL browsers, IE, Netscape and Mozilla. Then I can get a report of how many are running MAC, Win 9x, Win2k, ME and XP, what their resolution is and what their monitor settings are. An example is the Google spider bot hit me 17 times on the first between 1 and 3am. The detail is incredible and I get it all for free! Magick Michael

LostPatrol ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 7:22 PM · edited Wed, 04 August 2004 at 7:24 PM

I agree with Magick Michael my web host does the same and most do now or will do soon.
One comment on your thumbnails, and it is nit picking a little, but from feedback that I have had about my own site (not as good as yours by the way) and posts that I have read on a web building forum that I am a member of in the UK is that thumbnails may look better if you keep the orientation in groups i.e. landscape and portrait separate and not mixed as this makes it more uniform in appearance.
Consider having less thumbs per page, for people still on dial up connections to help page load times. (This my not be an issue in the US but it is in the UK) I find that 10-15 is ok
Maybe centering the thumbnail frame also as there is allot of empty space on the right ( however I am using a 1280x1024 screen resolution) it will be less apparent on a 1024x768 which the most popular resolution at the moment.
I have now viewed your site with IE 6x, Netscape 7x, Motzilla and Opera and it looks consistent in all of them. Something I have had issues with myself.

Message edited on: 08/04/2004 19:24

The Truth is Out There

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 11:01 PM

Thanks people.I didn't mean to take over this thread though. Let's go back to Randy's. I viewed his in NS7 IE6 and it is the same in both. In fact Randy's is so nice I may even do one of those imitation is the best form of flattery things,and design one in a same fashion.I change mine about every 6 months.Just to mess with designs. ------------------------------------ I do have all those stats in iPowerweb.More than I can even look at. Site meter is just a real fast way to browse how many and where they came from.I't's a 2 click deal rather than logging in to my webhost. Also I wouldn't mind checking out that web building forum Lost Patrol. OT: If you go check out Site Spinner You can design amazing websites for purchase price of $49 USD or try the demo for a spin.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2004 at 2:11 AM

One more-general note, not just aimed at you. It may not seem relevant in a page designed to show pictures, but make sure you use informative ALT tags. It's mainly recommended for helping those with impaired vision, but it's also useful on a dial-up. Using the name of the bird should also help with search engines, but there have been so many tricks, and abuses of such concealed texts, that it may not make a difference.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.