Sun, Sep 22, 2:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: 3D modeling programs?

Wild77 ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2004 at 9:01 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 11:53 PM

The short version Im looking for a 3D modeling program to add to my toolbox and am being tempted by the TrueSpace $299 competitive upgrade. I have Vue Pro, Poser 5 and Zbrush, should I buy TrueSpace 6.6? The long version I love Vue Pro and think its probably the easiest interface Ive ever used. Poser 5 on the other hand has been a struggle. I have only just started using Zbrush but already Im thinking it will not fully fill my 3D modeling needs. Im looking for an easy to use program that will work well with Vue. I dont want to spend years learning how to use the program but I do want good results. What modeling program would you suggest for someone that found Vue easy to lean and is the $299 price of TS just too good to pass up? I also had Carrara 3 and sent it back, I just couldnt stand it.

nick1 ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2004 at 5:13 AM

W- I think you would like Wings3D. First, it is so easy and addicting to use. It is quite a pleasure to use. Second, it is FREE and you can download it at www.wings3d.com. I also purchased Carrara 1.1 at Siggraph couple of years ago and never liked using it. Wings3D also works great with Vue4.

martial ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2004 at 5:25 AM

If you couldn't stand with Carrara 3 may be you will have also difficulties with Truespace.I have both and ,according to me ,the learning curve of Truespace is more difficult than the Carrara one.All 3d programs have there difficulties and bugs. You must work and work with them.May be you will be better to try some free ones like Wings.Zbrush is really fantastic one:i am still stuggle with the interface and the zspheres.The more easy one i have used is Rhino3,a nurbs modelling one ,even i use may be 30 % of its possibilities.I also like the Vue pro interface(Vue is one of my preferred program) but it isn't a 3d modelling soft.Good luck!

forester ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2004 at 8:14 AM

Hi Wild77. I wrote you an overly longish answer over in the TS Forum, but also see your question posed here. Like you, I am a significant fan of Vue. Vue4, Vue Pro and TS are my most often used programs. If it helps any, I've tried a lot of programs out in the year and half I've been modelling professionally, but the four things I consider my best, most solid investments are Truespace (6.6), Vue (both versions), and Deep Exploration. If you go purchase a little $35 copy of Hypersnap (the bread-and-butter utility you can't do without), and maybe an old - inexpensive copy of Photoshop or CorelDraw for that occasional tricky texture-building problem), you've got it all. Incidentally, Vue actually makes a superb render-er for Truespace.

Djeser ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2004 at 8:50 AM

I've had TrueSpace for a couple years, and never managed to get to first base with it. The interface completely stumped me. More power to forester for using it so successfully! You might want to check out the Wings3D forum here...Wings3D is a freebie modeler, folks create some pretty cool stuff with it. It may answer your need at least for now, and you can't beat the price!

Sgiathalaich

Wild77 ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2004 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for the replys. I realize its all a matter of preference but it never hurts to ask. I have the Wings download on my computer but havent installed it yet. Vue4 was my first 3D software and I think it spoiled me, the first day I had it I was creating things on my own. While even after 20 days with Carrara I was still clueless and thats what Im trying to avoid. I will still have to decide on TS but thanks for the help.

aeilkema ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2004 at 2:25 AM

I've had Carrara too and couldn't stand it either, horrible application. After that I did get gameSpace (TrueSpace's little brother) and I just loved it. I didn't have any problems with it at. Now I've upgraded to TS 6.6 and I'm loving it. workd fine with Vue 4 too. I use it to model my stuff and import those models into Vue 4 together with Poser 5 characters. These 3 applications do for sure suit me. You can of course download the TS 6.6 demo and try it to see if you like it or not. You perhaps need some time to get used to the UI, but once I did, I just found it's great.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2004 at 2:04 PM
Site Admin

If you can possibly come up with the money, Rhino is a veryu good program and is very easy to learn. It's around $800, but if you're a student it only costs around $200. I got it last year and have never regretted it...

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Sun, 01 August 2004 at 6:59 PM

If you end up going into the higher price brackets I would also suggest looking into Cinema 4d (same price as Rhino). I found it fairly intuitive for a nurbs modeler and I'd given up on both Truespace and Carrara after trying demos. I haven't had the chance to really learn how to work with it but I got a lot farther than either of the other two programs.

surveyman ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2004 at 5:18 PM

Yikes People, Expensive stuff for a hobby. A few years ago, I came across a freebie version of AMAPI 4.15 in a magazine that was so easy to use, that even though I have a licenced version of AutoCAD, I use Amapi. A while back, AMAPI 5.15 was also made available for free, along with a html manual. Do a search on the WEB and you'll find either 4.15 or 5.15 and give it a try before you buy. Also check out the AMAPI forum - I think there is a link there to the freebie version. The interface is unique, but very intuitive. Cheers, JoeK

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2004 at 8:42 PM

I use autocad all the time as well, but I know from experience that Autocad is not really a 3d modeler, they have been getting better at it over the past few releases but ultimately it really isn't designed to be a high end modeler, they mostly just rely on 3dstudio max and rhino for that stuff. Don't get me wrong, since I know Autocad so well I find it hard to even bother learning another software but it really is quite limited once you compare it to some of the pure 3d programs.

adh3d ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 8:55 AM

wings3d, for modeling is wonderfull.

adh3d website

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.