Mon, Oct 21, 10:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: My Props behave like Balloons???

Totoro3D ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 4:05 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 8:23 PM

file_124785.jpg

Poser really is giving me a hard time not to hate it tonight. Please looks at this. The picture above is just a screenshot from the scene BEFORE rendering. The picture below is the rendered result of just the scene that can be seen on the photo above. As you can see the broom and the corners of the desks are blown up like balloons. Why does something like this happen? What can I do against it? Why does my poser hate me so much? :(

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 4:09 PM · edited Wed, 25 August 2004 at 4:12 PM

Turn off "smooth polygons" in the render dialogue (firefly) or in the individual object parameters (located in the properties tab of the parameter dials window).

Message edited on: 08/25/2004 16:12

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Totoro3D ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 4:31 PM

Blimey, so it was not a bug but a feature? ;) Does anyone understand the theory behind this??? Thank you very much for your quick help, maxxxmodelz!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 4:33 PM

Understand, yes. Explain it without diagrams, no. :/

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 4:38 PM · edited Wed, 25 August 2004 at 4:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/renderer.html

Here's an explaination of it (and other features of Firefly) on Stewer's website.

Basically, it's a render feature that's useful for giving a smooth appearance to low-poly objects that contain hard edges. Instead of, for instance, having to smooth the mesh by adding more complexity (polygons).

Message edited on: 08/25/2004 16:42

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 6:53 PM

A (very) simple explanation is that some objects are smoothed more than they should be.

RubiconDigital ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 8:27 PM

Heh, this is one of the major pains in the butt with Poser. Because you can't set any smoothing angles manually , modelling for Poser can be a right pain. Split vertices here, don't split them there. Test render - doh - doesn't work. Back into the modelling software - rejoin these, split those instead, gah.

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 8:56 PM

You don`t actually have to use smooth polygon a lot of the time, you would be better using it only when you need it.

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 10:26 PM

I only use it for organic characters. For anything else, I always turn it off.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 25 August 2004 at 10:35 PM

I once took shameless advantage of the ballooning effect when modeling a simple sandcastle prop. Saved me a lot of work.

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 4:32 AM

file_124786.jpg

It's not only to save work but to also save resources. How many polygons would it take to do this without smooth polys & displacements?

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 4:33 AM

file_124787.jpg

This one's 56 polygons.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 6:05 AM

Stewer... do I want to know WHAT that thing is?! ;o) Seriously, it's an impressive example of the strength of displacement maps and the smoothing in P5

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 7:59 AM

That thing - that has no meaning, it's just what I came up in a few minutes to have something to show ;) I think the most impressive examples of displacement that we saw recently were given with the ZBrush release. They also have a guidebook that shows how to use ZBrush-created displacements in Poser 5.

Tunesy ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2004 at 8:17 AM

...that's a very nice looking turd ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.