Sun, Sep 15, 11:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Remember Organic Art ?

BabaLouie ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 6:30 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 3:54 AM

Does anyone remember the old screen save called Organic Art? There was once a website for them, artworks.co.uk, but it is no longer valid. I just curious what has become of the software. If Artworks is out of business, what has become of the source? thanks, BabaLouie

fractaldreamer ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 8:17 PM · edited Sun, 12 September 2004 at 8:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.organicartworks.com

Funny you should mention this now BabaLouie. I came across Organic Art several weeks ago at www.organicartworks.com whilst doing searches for genetic art. I have been able to purchase it and it works just fine off my xp system. What a wonderfully terrific and imaginative programme. My really big question is why hasn't this programme been further developed? I thought its potential was obvious yet it appears to have been abandoned. I wish it had the capability to enable me to add my own backgrounds. I tried searching the internet but all references seem to date back to the 1990's. It is like the developers disappeared off the face of the planet. Can anyone enlighten me.

Fran
www.arcanefractals.com

Message edited on: 09/12/2004 20:18

BabaLouie ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 9:44 PM

Hi Fran, Thanks for the link. William Lantham of IBM, as I recall, came up with the original algos for those fractals. OA sold for a number of years as a screensaver and at some point Microsoft included a version with Windows. A company whose name I am unsure of but at one time could be reached at www.artworks.co.uk was offering OA. When they had an active website they advertised a version of OA that was being developed I believe, that would create fractals to the sound of music, much the same as MS Windows Media does. I believe they were also working on some kind of game or maybe a fractal-game combination. A company by the name of Mindspring, not the internet Mindspring, was offering OA at the same time, which of these two companies actually owned the source I do not know. OA has tremendous potential as you mentioned, I too often wished it had offered the capability for users to add and crate backgrounds. Now to take you back a little further, and to really date myself, there was another program by the name of DAZZLE. It was created by a fellow whose last name I believe was Shifflet and was from the State of Texas. It was a DOS based program that created some absolutely amazing fractals. The program also offered you the ability set parameters so you could create you own fractas. A real sweet program that never really made it into the Windows world. There was at one time a DAZZLE VHS tape that was being sold, but I have not seen it in years. I saw the DAZZLE fractals done at an IMAX theater, wow what a sight that was, looking at fractals above you and all the way across an IMAX screen. thanks, Louis

fractaldreamer ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 12:50 AM

Hi Louis, Thanks for all that info. It was a really interesting read. Fran

fractalchemist ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2004 at 1:46 AM

I have been doing searches for OA, and Latham's work these past days.. ( funny is it not?) The program that animated these creatures to music was callled Dancer DNA, it has completely vanishe dfrom the net...The company was called Notting Hill software, based in the UK...Vanished also! The game from the OA developers was called Evolva....Guess what????? VAnished also!!! Looks like Organic Art has gone underground;-)))) Anybody here knows what happened? I still have an old demo version of Dancer DNA....but unfortunately no key;-(((( Evolva is still around ont the P2P networks....

BabaLouie ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2004 at 6:41 PM

Yep, Evolva was the name of the game. How did Dancer DNA turn out? I would certaintly like to know what happened to Notting Hill, usualy when a software company folds, you hear a great lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. I did not realise they had gone under until I could not find their web site. Sure would like to know what happened to the code and if it is available for purchase.

fractalchemist ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 7:31 AM

Attached Link: http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/WorldOfDawkins-archive/index.shtml

My research has taken me a bit further: I do not know what happened to Notting Hill, but I found DancerDNA was a a "brainchild" of Richard Hawkins ( the Blind Watchmaker, one of the first BioMorph proggies...)The original program or precursor of DDNA was called Cybertation. Link is for the archives of the R. Dawsons website... All software download links do not work, most of them go to Notting Hill nad Computerartworks anyway......I wonder what happened? If you are going to pusue this further, I would appreciate us keeping contact...Are you a programmer? Or are you only interested in the forms that these proggies can generate? My interest is the music/fractals aspect...

BabaLouie ( ) posted Wed, 15 September 2004 at 5:37 PM

Thanks for the link I will take a look later this evening. I used to write in 'C', but gave it up about 6 or so years ago. I really did not want to learn C++ and coding had gotten to be a bit maddening. I am interested and fascinated by the images created by OA, I am certain DDNA would have equally fascinated me. I will keep searching also and anything that I turn up I will PM the link to you. thanks, Louis

rocserum ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 2:26 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Y&Artist=rocserum

file_128409.jpg

I love to combine this program (both versions) with other frac apps. See my postings G, R and Q

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.