Thu, Oct 3, 11:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Tutorial for making hair NOT painting hair

renderclipps ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 8:29 PM ยท edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 11:29 AM

Is there a tutorial for making hair NOT painting hair? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

rowan_crisp ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 8:34 PM

In Poser 5 or modelling/transmapping hair?

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 10:16 PM

Modeling would be nice... but thats just me. dunno which one renderclipps was wanting.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 10:40 PM

There's a forum dedicated to modeling hair at Poserpros Good luck JV

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,ย  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,ย  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Galleryย  My Other Galleryย 

renderclipps ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2004 at 3:52 PM

Hi Yeah it was for modelling/trans. I went to the Poserpros site but a have to wait for account activation before I can see the forums :-( Thanks

rowan_crisp ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2004 at 3:55 PM

It's worth it, renderclipps, believe me. I'm all stuck on the dynamic hair room right now, but I figure that modelling/transmapping will be in my future. :)

renderclipps ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2004 at 4:03 PM

I have never tried making hair using the hair room, I just had a feeling it would never give me the effect/look I want. Plus if modelling/trans is good enough for the king (Kozaburo) then it's good enough for me :-) peace

Spire ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 1:47 PM

Both the Hair and Cloth rooms in P5 have me Completely Flumoxed (as do magnets, but that's another story for another forum!) I just leave those rooms ALONE and shell out my hard-earned dinero for the hair models that others have sweated to create.

;D

renderclipps ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 1:56 PM

Seen, cloth room as well, err. I haven't gone there yet either, dont think I will after what spire said. But I'm still having no joy with poserpros.com one day after registering I'm still waiting for activation codes. I'm can't even find a contact email addy for their support dept. on the website. sooo long.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 2:02 PM

Your best bet is to make them modelled/transmapped and either as a conforming bit of hair, or as a parented prop (which is what most stuff in the "hair" library pretty much is.) /P

renderclipps ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 2:04 PM

Yeah mate but easier said than done thats why i need the tutorial hehe

renderclipps ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 2:09 PM

I've had to send a email to one of the moderators (no administrators online) xurge@xurge3d.com Just for records incase anyone has same problems

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 6:56 PM

I believe that Kozaburo has a tutorial and a base model to start with on his site. He put it up when he first created the technique. Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

renderclipps ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 4:40 AM

Nice one Boni, I'll check that out. In the mean time I'm finallay logged on to Poserpros, WHEYHEY This site seems to have a lot of tutorials, a heck of a lot. I found this one which gives a very basic idea of modelling using 3d studio max (I'd be using the same principles but in lwave). The only thing it doesn't touch on is how to turn my lwave object .lwo into a .hr2 file. (this was the problem I also had with philc's skull cap http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/hair/ But I'm heading to Kozaburo's site right now. cheers

renderclipps ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 5:00 AM

He must have removed the tutorial. I can't find anything under http://www.digitalbabes2.com/ I've sent him an email asking him if I'm either looking in wrong place or if he's removed it.

renderclipps ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 9:31 AM

Yes the King got the message and replied. He removed the tutorial link from his site but it's available to download at... http://DigitalBabes2.com/tutorial.zip English Bob Also replied with some useful steps to a topic I started @ poserpros.... Step 1 - model your hair, and save it in a format that Poser can import. Your options will depend on what version you have, but OBJ is usually best. Step 2 - UV map the hair if it wasn't already done by your modeller. Step 3 - produce textures and transmaps. Step 4 - import the hair into Poser, and position it on the head of your chosen figure. Parent to the head. Step 5 - apply the texture(s) and transmap(s) using the materials dialogue/room depending on Poser version. Step 6 - save to the Hair library. Step 7 - MAT Pose Edit can now open the resulting HR2 file, but you'll want to save a PZ2 (Pose) file in most cases. Note that this will only work on hair which has been applied to a figure. Repeat 5, 6 and 7 for different textures as needed.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 2:38 PM ยท edited Fri, 01 October 2004 at 2:41 PM

file_131046.jpg

There's somebody working on a tutorial/demo for the P5 Hair Room.

Based on what he said, I had a bit of a try at it.

It looks as though the people who wrote the software may not have worked well with the people who inclluded the sample hair in P5. The Hair Room seems to work better with a sparse mesh -- large polygons.

The picture shows where I got to, The front is good but I was having trouble with the back of the head -- too many polygons, I think, but also I reckon I should re-think the underlying structure.

The P5 hair polygons don't need to be on the figure's surface, they can be underneath.

Message edited on: 10/01/2004 14:41

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.