Tue, Oct 22, 2:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:46 pm)

Subject: Who uses Daz Studio - Why?

kathyb ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2004 at 4:43 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:39 AM

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm curious about DAz Studio. Who uses it and why? I understand it has a future with Bryce, but that still probably doesnt help me. Where in a pro pipeline might it fit? I'm basically a max user. thanks Kath

casey_42 ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 8:32 AM

I use DAZ|Studio, why, because it is free and Poser wants you to starve your kids for three months to buy it and then for three years to get any content, if you want to be able to pose figures and render the results D|S is the besty way to do it and still have a roof over your head.

Farside ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 12:20 PM

I've tried it, D|S's still way too buggy to be much real use. Maybe in a year or two when it gets close to leaving the Beta stage I'll take another look at it.

Pol ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 5:06 PM

Hi Kath In the past I used Poser but not anymore mainly because I have learned to model characters. For years I have been following Daz. They make really good characters and I always need a lot of them. When the free beta D/S was out I jumped on it with no regret at all. Daz Studio works well for me. The only thing.. not a lot of 3D packages can load correctly those Daz characters ( Poser yes, Bryce with the Turbo import ) so it why I'm using Daz Studio. Hope that's help a little. Cheers

dallas40m ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 3:08 AM

I use D/S regularly and like it so much that I uninstalled poser. Some people say its buggy, but I have no problems with it at all. I use it over poser because I think it is easier to use then poser. All depends on how well you can adapt to different software tools.

Warmest Regards,

Dallas

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 8:53 PM

I needed it (and the Bryce importer plugin for it) to import Poser objects into Bryce 5.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

kathyb ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 9:34 PM

thanks, interesting. Yeah, always a hassle, it seems , to get poser figures into max. Kath

westonmi ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2004 at 12:13 PM

The reasons I use it? Let's see... Loads faster than Poser Da lights!! They're much easier to use. ;) Able to do multiple selecting of items in either the scene panel or the surfaces panel. Being able to delete ALL the lights or cameras. Able to merge scenes with ease It's not a resource hog like Poser Interface is easier to understand The ability to arrange the panels to my liking Posing is easier Real time transparencies...no need to render just to see if a transmap is applied right. Spot renders!! Being able to do either a quickie render of good quality (OpenGL) or a more intense render (3Delight) And as for it being a year or two before being close to being out of beta...it's currently at build 0.9.7.8 with it looking it'll hit build 1.0 around the end of the year. D|S is an excellent way for someone to get into 3D art without worring about cost since the base and a wonderful base content pack for free. I used the Turbo importer for a quick test to see how it imported into Max6...it imported fine though I can't remember how well the textures imported though. wes :P

Farside ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2004 at 3:10 PM

If D|S is released by the end of the year then Daz hasn't learned anything at all from Curious Labs colossal screwup of releasing P5 way before it should have been. On my machine D|S moves at a crawl, textures can't be found on some items even though they are right there, can bring in far fewer items to render than P5 at one time and it doesn't even have magnets yet which is an absolute requirement or the proggy is totally useless. In comparison, P5 has crashed once on me since SR1.

westonmi ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 1:29 AM

On my machine (AthlonXP 2000+, 512mb, GeForce2 MX400), D|S runs extremely well. Only time I've had problems with it crashing was due to bad file and a reinstall fixed it. Otherwise I haven't had the problems you've had. But just like any other program, D|S is just another choice in one's toolset for creating art. That's it...if you don't like it, then you don't have to use it.

OReillyTX ( ) posted Mon, 04 October 2004 at 10:49 AM

I use D|S exclusivly now, and its still a beta app.It's far more stable and useable than P5 and its free which is very nice.D|S has increased my productivity and creativity in my work.I also use it for all the same reasons and features Westonmi listed too.I have had nothing but misery using P5 so I am happy to be free of it.Magnets are a throw back to Poser 2 and an antique I have no need for them so no loss there.I have found I can live happily without the material room, dynalic cloth and hair too. D|S gives us a choice in what app to use , which we didnt have before. What it all boils down too is what works for you really. Just my 2 cents.

icandigit ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 6:05 PM

um.... its FREE!

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 8:31 PM

Don't use it & have no need for it...between P5 & Vue, I'm covered :)

cpl_hayes ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:29 PM

Beacuse I'm new to digital dolls (tee hee). Plus, like I was telling Adobe for years (gave up). If this is something I might want to get into, make it cheap/free and allow me to purchase (w/o getting raped) thie things I need. But, don't strip it to the point of disinterest. I've built-up Phothoshop Elements, and most don't know the diff. Total cost, bout 110US. Cause it came with my WACOM (i'd nvr pay 100 JUST for PSE). I hope to do the same with DAZ. 'I don't NEED it all. $10 here, $20 there cool. And if all they ask is I tell ppl. Galdy, and it makes it easier to, when Ican tell them theey can start for free.

icandigit ( ) posted Wed, 13 October 2004 at 12:09 PM

actually, it is a superb marketing strategy... most poser users are also daz character users, and i think daz is stalling for time and giving great interest in a new product... patiently waiting to outdate poser 5. v4 and m4 will probably be daz studio only, and the characters from what i understand only get better... me, i cant stand posing characters using the dials, but its a great tool for getting perfectly textured characters into other programs. which means squat to me, as i only use p2 lo characters anyway... and its FREE :)

LunarTick ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 1:09 PM

i have it and i have used it to a fasion. Don't fully understand it yet but i'm slowly learning the program I'm not 100% on what i can and can not import into it yet, would like to import some poser models and props into it if that is possible. Also why'll i'm on the subject, anyone know what version victoria it is that's in DAZ studio ?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 1:34 PM

The current free content is an LE (fewer morphs) version of V3 Reduced Resolution. To use standard Poser content choose a folder (such as the Content folder in the D|S application folder) and install to that, so that you have a Runtime folder in the chosen folder after installation. In D|S go to Edit>Preferences, select the Directories tab, pick Poser Content Directories from the drop-down list/button at the top of the dialogue and then hit the Add button and select the chosen folder (eg Content). Your chosen folder should then appear as an option in the top half of the Content palette, and you can load items from the lower half of the palette.

Puntomaus ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2004 at 6:46 AM · edited Mon, 18 October 2004 at 6:47 AM

I tried it but I do not like it and prolly never will.

I use Poser 5 exclusively and with Vue and Shade I have everything I need to make pretty pictures ;-). edited for typos

Message edited on: 10/18/2004 06:47

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

LunarTick ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2004 at 9:00 AM

I have it, tried it and don't like it at all. I don't use poser as of yet, will do one day when i can afford to pay the high price for it. The price it is in USD is less than what i'll pay for it in AUD. To give you some idea on the difference, i just bought 3 models for bryce they came to $44.75USD it cost me $62AUD, so you can see why i don't have poser yet :)

Questor ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2004 at 11:31 AM

Similar problem here in the UK. Poser 5 in America is 169 USD (average from listed price of 299 USD). In the UK it's 349 UKP, at current exchange rate that's about 572 USD. Quite why it's so freaking bloated over here is anybody's guess. Far as I'm concerned CL can go f... erm stuff themselves and their software. You can't beat free and I'll not whine about bugs or as yet unrealised features in BETA software like Studio - only when they're included in, held over and deliberately retained in release software. ;)

Questor ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2004 at 11:59 AM

As a counterpoint example to this, Softimage XSI has just been reduced to 495 USD. I find it more than interesting that I can buy that at a comparative rate in the UK (about 10 dollars difference). That applies to a lot of other software also, which rather makes me wonder what plane of fantasy CL inhabit. I'm sure people can guess where my money will be going. With a Free app to pose in and something far superior to Poser to render and model in at a comparative price, I reckon I'll be happy with that deal.

Puntomaus ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2004 at 1:18 PM

LunarTick, you can always try the direct link to CLs webstore and buy Poser for USD. I did the same with Shade 7. I am in germany and usually get redirected to the european store but with the direct link to the US store I was able to buy the download version and got away with it for $149. And I'm prolly doing the same when P6 will be released (since I cannot bug EgiSys anymore for a free NRV).

LunarTick ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2004 at 8:14 PM

Puntomaus i do the direct link when i buy models for bryce, they still cost me that extra because of the exchange rate. $149USD will still be $206AUD, that is todays(tuesday 19th) exchange rate.

Puntomaus ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 10:16 AM

CuriousLabs sells models for Bryce? Oh, $149 is 123 Euro, so for me it becomes less but for you it's much more. Ummm ... when I look at your exchange rate I wouldn't want to buy anything either :-(.

Sherlock ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2004 at 11:48 PM

I love the interface far more than I loved any version of Poser, unfortunately it crashes without warning, so I use it only as the occassional toy.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 12:19 PM

I fiddled with DAZ|Studio for awhile, but there just isn't lots of reliable information on the program, and it really seems to be lacking in comparison to Poser. Besides, it's still a beta version. I'm also a bit miffed because DAZ announced DAZ|Studio in the midst of its battles against Poser. (Bite the hands that feed you.) It's been at least two years, and we're still waiting.

Questor ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 1:16 PM

So who bit who's hand? Not sure what you mean by that statement, rather erroneous as well considering that whatever was bitten has been healed and moved on. I seem to recall from that time that it was CL biting everything and everyone around them - in the ass mostly... Oh well, that's the beauty of history, we can change it all we like with a couple well placed and completely innocent words. One small correction though. Daz weren't battling with Poser (anymore than any other user of that software anyway), they had a licensing disagreement with Curious Labs and had some reservations about paying large sums of money for CL to make Vickie/Mike compatible with the face room. Studio was also announced "after" it all hit the fan, though they'd been in the design stages before P5 fell over and choked. It has been two years, yes it has. Almost a whole year of beta for Studio as well. Gosh, I guess writing a rather complex graphics and mesh manipulation program must be difficult, y'think? Perhaps they should have just written a new winzip app, maybe that would have been quicker. :) How dare they actually take time to do something instead of rushing it out of the door filled with bugs, dysfunctional security shite that lives in the drive root and incomplete plugged in extras. Be more traditional wouldn't it? Then they could release a bunch of updates to fix what's broken. Yeah, much more traditional... On that note, I'm looking forward to the next release of Studio, hopefully that one won't bug-out on something not running a radeon and I'll be able to use it again. ;)

cpl_hayes ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 1:51 PM

I think my post is the mmost important (not being arogant). I have no intentions of making money with this. Would be a year+ to get to that level. So as a hobbyest. I can see if this is something I would like to do. I stoped writing Adobe to come up with something in the middle of the road (photoshop). Studio is the perfect example of my thought. If I could just purcahse the things I need/use, rather than spend over 500 for stuff i don't even know exist, I'd like that. plus you creaters could make a lil extra, by making things that I'd like to use. Untilities, Characters, ect. Give me just enough, to do more than 'get-by', and let me (the hobbiest) build it up.

LunarTick ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2004 at 11:21 PM

Well i have the updated version of DAZ studio 0.9.8.5, i have got a few items i can use in it which i bought or i used their free voucher on(around 17 items total). I have it installed once again and only because i needed something i could use for a poser prop to convert it over for bryce. I have never used Poser so i can't compare both programs. I will say one thing though i hope DAZ come up with a better interface on their program or make it easier for a learner to use, the help you recieve from their forum as little to talk about, the help file is confusing for new users, they lack good pr when trying to deal/help new users. Oh well lets just hope they sort out a few issues with DAZ Studio before it goes on the market, well it is still a beta test version.

bohica1998 ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 3:35 PM

I use it cause I can't afford the prices for Poser. Yes it most certainly has bugs. One of the biggest is the manual! Every time you start to learn something it say "for more info, go to page xx". Well, "page xx" usually does not have the info. It'a 6-7 pages away or so (you pick which direction, it can go either way) It constantly refers to content that is NOT included, or button that don't exist, and seems to be written by PR people telling you how great it is (NOT!). Don't get me wrong, the potential is there, but, there is a LOT of work needed before it cime out of Beta. Did you know you can change the names of the x,y,z settings. Only problem is, they won't stay changed the next time you open the program. It would be a lot easier if you could change "xtrans" to something like "Left/Right", "ytrans" to "Up/Down, etc., and keep the changes saved. It is not very easy to get the hang of unless you are already an experienced user of some other 3D program. They also need some info as to (clearly) where to place non-DAZ content. Yes, the files from DAZ unload to the proper places, but, what about all the other stuff out there? No real help there. I tried to use the manual, but, the most help I have gotten has been the forums. Without those, I would have given up on it already. I think it will be a great alternative to the high-priced programs if they can get it squared away a lot more BEFORE they officialy release it as a finished product.

Questor ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 3:54 PM

snicker Funny, the poser manual has a lot of bugs in it too, mostly a massive lack of particularly useful information. Strangely, it's written by the same fellow writing the Studio manual. I wonder if there's a trend? :) The Studio manual will need to pay particular attention to the interface - accurately - because there's a lot of functions and tools buried behind the sliders and panels, things that are not intuitive for people to find. They've been working on the beta for a while, it certainly has a while to go yet. One can only hope they won't follow the dead chicken cargo cult programming methods and release it "mostly working", it'd be nice to see "fully functional" software for a change. :)

LunarTick ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 10:30 PM

bianca i hope you don't go to their forum asking for any help with it. Sorry for this comment, i think monkeys could give better directions to a banana stand than the people at the DAZ forum give on their program.

bohica1998 ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2005 at 12:36 AM

If by "bianca", you mean me, "bohica", well, it was through the forums that I finally got things running smoothly (for a beta product). Granted, not every answer was correct, but, I got enough help and enough different answers that I WAS able to get it going.

Calalene ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2005 at 8:37 PM

I think the answers in the forums are amazing... it especially impresses me how many beta testers volunteer to help people out with things (waves at Questor). I've been fascinated by 3D art for a long time, Poser in particular, but I was always put off by the initial cost. I also used the trial version briefly, made a couple of very painful looking human pretzels, and gave up. Studio has been a LOT easier to figure out, for me, and I'm really having a lot of fun with it.

casey_42 ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2005 at 10:29 AM

It seems that ppl who are willing to put a little effort into learning DAZ|Studio are mostly well impressed by it those that expect it to do everything for them and they just click and render seem to give up and just gripe.

BluePenguin ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2005 at 3:05 AM

two more cents... I liked 3DS Max when I had an oppertunity to work with it. Now D|S is no Max, but the interface seemed more intuitive to me after working in Max. For that alone I jumped on the D|S bandwagon. Add the cost advantage and everything else... and it makes a decent free product.

war2 ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2005 at 5:28 AM

well i have d|s but i have to say that considering that v5I and poser6 is on its way d|s and bryce is facing some big uphill competition. sure people that just do stuff for free might go with d|s and perhaps even use bryce, but v4e is as affordable as bryce, and v5e isnt that much more expensive and works just as good as bryce with d|s and has lots more to offer. And for serious users v5I is years ahead, different target group but my choice as far as landscape/scenery goes. As far as d|s goes if it matures and fixes the weird errors with missing clothes after export i might continue to use it with v5I, ill for sure check out future versions, then again p6 and v5I looks like a realy sweet combination.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.