Mon, Sep 9, 6:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Vicky Question (My bf got her for me!)

duckee ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 12:23 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 8:47 AM

So here's my question. I can't quite remember where now, and I'm at my other computer so I'll have to guess, but in the figures section there is something called !v3makeup or something similiar and it has a couple lipsticks, eye shadow, mascara and skin textures. I can't for the life of me get these to apply to my Vicky model. I also noticed that her eyebrows are a grouping of dots and I'm really sure how to handle that either. I've been searching high and low for some tutorials on this but I'm just lost. Anyway, sorry again for asking so many questions and being a pest! Thanks in advance for any help that may be provided. :) Kelly

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 1:08 AM

The !V3Makeup files should be in the Poses directory, as I understand it they are Mat Pose Files. It should go something like this, select Vickys head, find and double click on the makeup file you want to apply. That should be it. Though I dont know how that will work if the mat files are in the Figures directory. Dont forget you wont see the makeup until you render your image. Hope that helps. John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 1:17 AM

Anytime you see a grouping of dots, it means the item has a transparency map applied to it, so it won't show up until you render the image. You'll see a lot of clothing items load invisible, or turn invisible with MAT files, because of transparency maps. I don't know which texture package you have, so here's some general pointers. With some texture packages, there's a base texture file that you apply first, then apply the makeup texture afterwards. That could be what's happening in this case. Other packages will apply all the textures each time, even if it's just a difference in the head textures. You will need to render the image to see what the final result looks like. As well, some texture packages contain "skin tones" which only modify the underlying color of the mesh. You'd need to apply the full texture, then use the skin tones to add more color to the mesh - it's like the difference between your normal skin color and after sun bathing for a while. (That's probably not what's happening in this case, but I figured I'd hit that one before you stumbled on it. I've been thrown by that a few times and I've been doing this for years.) Hope this helps, Cres

duckee ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 1:27 AM

Oops my bad. They are in the poses category. They are just the ones that come with the V3 (the whole package thingy), nothing special. I'll click on the make-up that I want to use, then render and nothing. The lighting works and she's rendered, but her eye color stays that light blue color and none of the skins or make-up are applied. I will try finding a base texture and applying that first, and then the make-up, maybe that will help. I'm getting sick of looking at bald vicky with those piecing eyes and gasp no make-up! :) Kelly

Kelderek ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 2:03 AM

The icon to click on to apply the skin texture is usually in the same folder as the make-up icons. I don't know which texture you are trying to use, but the icon for loading the base skin texture is usually named "MAT [name of texture package]".

Generally, the make-up is only different variations of the head textures (V3 uses different textures for body and head unlike the P4 woman who uses one texture for both head and body). Clicking on a make-up icon just loads another head texture with a different make-up applied. The eyes are separate from the skin textures on V3. Loading an eye color should work regardless of which skin texture is loaded. It's possible to mix one skin texture with the eye color of another skin texture.

duckee ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 2:13 AM

I can't change the eye color at all by just selecting one from the "Pose" menu. They stay that light blue original color (after rendering). I suck at this. Kelly

duckee ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 2:37 AM

Alright I hope I will be able to explain this. Ok some of the time I am able to get the make-up to work. It seems what Kelderek suggested about loading a base skin texture worked. But sometimes I'll load one and it'll only put the skin tone on the face. But the make-up still applies it just looks silly. But when I try to apply skin tones from the !mat v3maps drop down from the 'pose' menu, a search window pops up asking me to locate such and such a file. I'll find it, select it but another window pops up saying: File not for do you want to continue looking for the missing file. But the file isn't missing! Could this be some kind of weird thing going on with the jpg's not being bum's? If so why won't it let me convert it to a bum? Alright and about those eyes. Any suggestions on getting those to work? Is there like a base eyeball I have to put down first? Anyway, its nice that I'm actually making some progress, hopefully I'll figure out these remaining few troubles. Thanks yet again to everyone for all your help!! Kelly

Kelderek ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 4:20 AM

Just a question: Do you use Poser 4 or Poser 5?

If Poser 4, you might need to convert the .jpg bump files to .bum bump files. That should explain the dialog boxes you get asking for file locations. They appear over and over again for the same file since the bump file is loaded to many different body parts, which makes it a bit frustrating...

In Poser 4, you need to convert the bump files manually, it will not be done just because you use a MAT file to load the texture. It's easy to do: Just load a simple prop (the box or the sphere will do) and open the texture settings and manually load the bump .jpg file as the bump map. This will prompt Poser to automatically convert it to a .bum file. Next time you use the texture on Vicky, Poser should be able to find the bump file by itself.

duckee ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 4:26 AM

Yup I am using poser 4. Thanks a bunch that will definately help! Sounds like a boring process though :) Kelly

Kelderek ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 8:10 AM

Well, you only need to do it once, then you're all set for future uses of that texture ;-)

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 8:39 AM

Go to Render>Materials, make sure V3 is selected in the drop down list on the left, and then select LIris in the drop down list on the right. Is the texture strength (top left of the block of four boxes with drop down lists of texture names) set to 100%? If not set it, then select RIris and repeat.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Tue, 19 October 2004 at 10:04 AM

If Poser is looking for bump maps, you'll see a message asking for them. Then you need to find out where the textures are stored. You can use a file manager program to look around. (Or the documentation for the textures may tell you where to look.) You may see a file named "greenbump.jpg," or "greenb.jpg." Those are the types of names most commonly found. You need to convert these files. Conversion is a bit of work: 1.) Run Poser, and load any prop from your library. (I always use props.) 2.) Go to Render, Materials. 3.) Select Bump map, then load the first bump map that needs conversion. Poser will offer to convert for you. 4.) Keep going till you're done. It's a lot of work, and you may want to save those bump maps on a CD, along with the texture files, so you don't need to do it all over again if you have to reinstall.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.