Sat, Sep 21, 3:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: What the Writer's Forum Could Do To Advertise Itself

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 2:09 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:57 AM

I can't find the original thread so I'm starting a new one. I took the questions to the Moderators, and here are their suggestions: We can advertise (without fear of being accused of spamming) in the Community Center, the Challenge Forum, and The Den. I also welcome the writers into the Renderosity Magazine Information! forum. We can also contact the moderators of forums and ask them for permission to post in their individual forums. We can also place information about the Writers' Forum in the Renderosity newsletter (so, when we have an announcement of the winners of the challenge and a challenge to announce, that could go into the newsletter). I agree that the Community page of the Writers' Forum could use some updating. The problem has been time. I don't like to speak for other people but I know GonWaki has had a lot of challenges this year, including moving, Internet downtime, out of town training, and taking over the editorship of the RIM. I say that, not as an apology (because I think he does a wonderful job as a moderator), but as an explanation for why he hasn't been as active lately. But we are coming to the end of this year and about to start a new one, so if you all have any ideas of how to attract some new forum members, make the existing members happier, and spruce up the place, I'm sure GonWaki would be happy for your feedback, and I'll try to help out as I can. Any thoughts?

garblesnix ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 4:29 PM

Dialyn:

"We can advertise (without fear of being accused of spamming) in the Community Center, the Challenge Forum, and The Den."

Done and done.
Let's call it: "Pimp My Pen".
Now, we wait.
You get the beverages, I'll make the snacks.

jstro ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 4:37 PM

Be sure to include chocolate. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

netsia ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 4:58 PM

Candy corn would be good, too. :D I would like to have more interactive, like the Brian post. I used to play a game at another site where you were given 4 words and had to make a quatraine with each of the words at the end of the line, in the order given....lots of fun....then you posted your 4 words to the next participant. To have collaborations with those who do the visual art would be good. I have Poser and have failed miserably....not enough time in my day to apply to just Poser. I have had several artists offer to do a picture to go with my words. That would be interesting as a competition. Duality of best writing and THEn have a picture created for the writing.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 5:09 PM

On the Paint Shop Pro forum, we used to have a monthly DITI (do it to it) where we took a graphic and then do anything we wanted to with it. There is an equivalent for writing where you take a first line and see where it leads different people. It's also a good writing exercise. We certainly could have a challenge of writing with graphics. Which reminds me....the challenge that Rimrunner has on the Challenge forum is not limited to graphics, so if any of you feel inclined to explore a theme in a literary way, do feel free to post it. A person did that with a poem and was kindly received because it opened up the challenge to other possibilities.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 5:39 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12372&Form.ShowMessage=1957056

the challenge for this month is: A gate, door entrance, portal or however else you would describe it, either a metaphorical or an actual one, past present or future. You may not have time to put anything in (RimRunner will be closing the contest soon) but it isn't a bad little exercise to play with, for the writer or the graphic artist.

netsia ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 6:19 PM

Couldn't find the deadline info, do you know the deadline date? Thanks

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 6:25 PM

Usually RimRunner ends the contest two or three days before the end of the month...that's why I said it was probably too late to do anything with it. But it was just to give an idea of what could be played with in the future.

netsia ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 6:29 PM

thanks for the info

TallPockets ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2004 at 11:36 AM

Well, since 'sex' sells - I think we should re-vamp our writer's cover page. Have someone like primaltruck(who comments on written works often) or another brilliant artist here, make up a picture of a detective questioning a sexy lady (a.k.a. sharon stone in basic instinct - pg 13 version). Then have a desk with books on it. A crime book. A Stephen King book. A romance book. A book of poems. One by shakespeare. Arranged so the titles can all be read, however the artist would best accomplish this. Have a newspaper reporter in the picture also shown writing into his note pad. Ok, I'll get back on my medication. ~ Sigh ~

garblesnix ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2004 at 12:08 PM

TallPockets:
I think you're on to something.
How's about we offer a challenge to the modelling, texturing, etc. forums to come up with a graphic we can use for the Writing Forum?

I like the "noir" idea you have (B&W photography is so cool), but we could change the graphic periodically, offered again as a challenge. If someone were feeling "Heminway", for example, we group our thoughts as to what we would like to have included in the graphic theme (i.e. a lion, a shotgun, a pen, and a figure that looks suspiciously like Dr. Geep ;^} )

This way we include them in our endeavors by making them aware of our existence. Living in Los Angeles has shown me that writers are often treated like the embarassing relatives of the creative forces that make movies, TV, etc. Once the words are on the page, it is often hoped that the writer will just go away. (watch the movie "The Player")

I think what we have to offer other forums are stories around which they can craft their models, and they, in turn, offer pictures from which spring ideas for stories.

Then we can feed off each other in an insatiable, blood-engorged orgy of...ahem, I mean we can enter into a sybiotic relationship benefiting all concerned.

g'x

TallPockets ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2004 at 4:25 PM

Thx,g'x - Maybe we could persuade a different artist each month to consider doing such a piece for that one month? Give them some 'advertising' also? They be 'seen' by 'many' who do view the writers area? TP.

Wolfspirit ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2004 at 6:39 PM

I am in, as yes, I too will help in anyway I can. As I had an idea, although not sure if it would be useful to the writers or not, but sometimes I see writers placing pictures with their works that they have attained from one place of another, (other, than themselves) and some are even unsure of their rights to use Not many, but yes, I have seen some of this What I propose as an idea/s Is that those of us who have the ability and or the desire to create that of the visual of art could produce a certain number of (appropriate in size according to the guild lines already in place here) pictures a month to be place somewhere maybe off to the side of introduction page to the writers forum, or wherever the moderator might deem is the best place for that. In that all writers that desire to might find one visual appropriate to add to their piece of written work, can do so with already given the rights to use from the particular visual artist. This way providing advertisement to both artist as well as assisting the writer in attaining maybe something more adequate to go with their work and or maybe if it would not create to much more work on the moderators, have the writers post a number to their work that would link to the actual work so that a visual artist with interest to create something to enhance the work with a graphic could request the opportunity to take on such a challenge/ number, and attempted to create a visual for the writer to use along with their work. Example: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. Upon clicking on a number/link, the visitor therefore is directed to a piece of written work of a writer whom desires to participate that at current state does not have a graphic already attached to their individual work. (Of course, this would only be for those writers who wish to participate) Ok say I a visual artist would wish to try and capture the words of a writer and place them into a visual form. I would then click on a number and go and I read the works. Ok, now I have made up my mind I think I can do this and desire to do it, so I message the moderator with the number I have chosen. The moderator then in turn places my name/initials/ and or handle under the number. (As there maybe many different visual artists that also may desire to do a work for the same writing.) Upon the completion of my work as the work of others doing something for the same number, we post it in a section set aside for just this. Then the writer of said work then goes to that area, and or section and choose for him, or herself which graphic fits the feeling of the writing in which he or she has done the best. When said writer chooses, the graphic of choice that they desire to go with their work. They then in turn message again the moderator with their choice. (Let's say the pictures are upon this page arranged in A. B. C. and so on... The writer would then in a message tell the moderator that he or she has chosen (for the example- B) This visual work would then at that time be placed either by the writer themselves or the moderator in the appropriate size on the writer's page next to that particular writers work with maybe a small link to the bottom of the picture directing the viewer to also the visual artist gallery. (Also, the visual artist very well could upon uploading the work they have done for the specific piece of writing in its large size as well as a size that is befitting of the writers gallery, so as in ease for the writer to place with this work themselves with their writing.) This is a lot of fun for both the artist of word and that the visual artist, as well as an excellent exercise I do believe for both. Anyhow, that is the jest of the idea, and or idea's However, the decision comes down the pipe so to speak on what will be chosen to add that little something combining both that of the art of word and that of the visual, do so know I am in It would be a pleasure as a visual artist as well an artist of word to assist in anyway possible. Thank you for your time and do so have a lovely day! Wolfspirit

ecoarena ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 3:04 AM

Yes, I agree that we should take advantage of the wealth of creativity bubbling throughout the other forums. Have the modellers create characters that then require a name, a character profile, or even a situation written for them. If these became challenges, then the designer could act as judge and decide which piece of work most fits what he/she was intending to create. And yes, it can work both ways. We, gifted with our weapons of words, can then provide brief challenges that require those gifted with tools of images to create appropriate imagery (and us to judge). In essence, the aim is also to inspire collaboration. There are many graphic artists out there who are looking for writers and vice versa. Regards to all. Eco

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 8:05 AM

These are great ideas. I'm hoping GonWaki will be online soon to read them and join in.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 1:06 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez?viewLink=506

Here is a page with some guidelines, just posted in the Community Center.

Wolfspirit ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 2:15 PM

Thank you Dialyn for the link, as for my involvement, and me I will go over the information presented at the link site you have provided and work on a plan of action that would please and or interest both types of artists. There is no real rush here, at this moment so this is excellent in that it will give Gonwaki the time needed to view some of the initial ideas presented here so that he/she will have an adequate opportunity to put in his/her opinions and or idea/s as well. that will in turn work for me as anyone else who might join in and desire to help with their own individual ideas and so on as so forth. In regards to speaking only for myself this is fantastic, so no rush Gonwaki, I do understand the trials of being busy and or what not, Anyhow this time that is given from the wait will also give myself a time to organize my thoughts/idea/s better into a befitting plan that is filled with less garble and more precise structure and form to maybe be utilized at a later date. Just know I am working on it and again thank you and do so enjoy your day. Working on it, Wolfspirit

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 29 October 2004 at 2:37 PM

He is GonWaki. She is dialyn. Thank you, Wolfspirit. It's great to see people taking an interest in the writer's forum again. :)

Satanimus ( ) posted Sun, 31 October 2004 at 2:48 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12372&Form.ShowMessage=1957056

The "Gateway/portal challenge" is still open for late entries, Rimrunner is closing it for voting to start on Monday morning, so get them in if you want to... And GOOD LUCK. :)

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 8:26 PM

for 11/17/04 has the writers' challenge in it? A step in the right direction, don't you think?

Wolfspirit ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 11:00 PM

Yes I agree... :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.