Fri, Sep 20, 10:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: OT : need radeon driver help

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 3:07 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:22 PM

This is due to a problem I'm having with the new version of uv mapper pro. It crashes when I select vertices in the 3d window. Someone suggested I turn hardware acceleration off, and that solves the problem, but means that daz studio runs like treacle. So.... I have a radeon 9200 with the drivers that came with it (9 months ago). I'm not even sure what drivers they are. I have a huge long list of meaningless names. Other than the ATI control panel with smartgart and crap like that, I haven't a clue what's in there. And I think I have most of the options turned off anyway. DOH! I have no patience with this stuff. OK. I went to ATI and the only option seems to be to d/l 26 megs of catalyst drivers. What I want to know is, do I need these? Are they likely to solve my problem? I'm on dial-up, so I'm pretty unkeen on getting them unless I'm forced to. I know no one can tell me for sure if new drivers are the answer, but maybe someone can make an informed guess. Also, are there any options other than catalyst? I googled, but soon got lost among the weird and wonderful sites out there. TIA mac

Kemal ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 3:51 PM

You need to set AntiAliasing in Catalist menu on ApplicationPreference

That solved all of my OpenGL problems. In some cases, downloading older Catalist drivers (from 2003) might help too(dunno why), but updated drivers are just like lot of other things out there: sometimes fixing one thing can accidently screw up other part of the software which used to work correctly before ! :)

Good luck to you ! :)

Kemal ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 3:54 PM ยท edited Thu, 11 November 2004 at 3:54 PM

file_140727.jpg

Sorry for double post, here is Catalist summary ! :D

Message edited on: 11/11/2004 15:54

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 4:30 PM

file_140728.jpg

Thanks, kemal. Actually, I don't have the catalyst drivers. I was only thinking about downloading them. I tried changing my settings to roughly the same as yours, but uv mapper still crashes. Here's a screencap of what I have. Direct 3d is set to exactly the same as OpenGL. mac

Questor ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 5:36 PM

file_140729.jpg

Just a thought Mac, turn off Custom Settings...

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 5:44 PM

Thanks, questor. I just tried it, and turning that off disables Smoothvision, along with all it's settings. And it made no difference to uv mapper. Still crashes. mac

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 7:07 PM

Try Catalyst. I installed it for my Radeon 9700, and have been very happy with the results. Fixed a crash problem I was having.

gps ( ) posted Thu, 11 November 2004 at 9:40 PM

file_140730.jpg

Weird coincidence - I have a Radeon 9200 and installed the Catalist drivers about five hours ago (to improve the performance of a 3D game) so I just downloaded the UVMapperPro demo and spent the last few minutes trying to make it crash, so far without success :) Does this image shows what you were trying to achieve - vertices selected with the marque tool? BTW, I got my copy of Catalist from a magazine CD (PC Format). If you've got any newish cover CDs lying around you might want to check them - the game-oriented magazines in particular often put the latest ATI and Nvidia drivers out with each issue. Oh, and last but definitely not least, if you do decide to install Catalist, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST! 'cause I didn't and that's why I spent most of last night trying to get my computer to work properly again:( My specific goof was trying to install the catalist drivers without first un-installing my existing ATI drivers. I ended up with a mishmash of files that left me with a totally garbled screen. Having learned from experience, I can offer more detailed installation info if you need it LOL Cheers - Graham

whoopdat ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2004 at 11:39 AM

Attached Link: http://www.dna-drivers.nl/viewforum.php?f=2

ATI has been fixing problems over the months, OpenGL included. As gps says, it looks like updating drivers worked for him, and I wouldn't be surprised if it helped you. I know it's a pretty big download for dial-up, but I think it'll be worth it. (I hope, anyway!) ATI's history of poor driver support has mostly been wiped away with the Catalyst drivers. They're pretty competent these days. If you want to try something other than the default ATI drivers, check out the provided link. They're based directly on ATI's drivers only slightly modified, usually for stability and performance (though more for gaming), and I've been using them for ages. DNA drivers are nice. :) (Another alternative is the Omega set, but I just prefer DNA.) /me returns to lurking for the next few months.

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2004 at 2:20 PM

Thanks for the advice, folks. I just got an e-mail from steve cox (creator of uvm) suggesting I try the catalyst drivers, so it looks like that's the way to go. graham, That's exactly what causing mine to crash. Selecting vertices in the 3D window. Looks like you're OK with it. I'm in italy and I haven't seen any mags with driver updates lately, although I hadn't been looking for them. I'll just try the d/l. ATI have A 4-stage download for dial-uppers. Yeah, good advice about reading the instructions. Funnily enough, I already did read the page at ATI, and noticed that you have to uninstall the old ones first. whoopdat, Thanks for the link. I also saw the dna drivers when I was hunting yesterday, but wasn't sure what the deal was. I saw they were hacked/modified ATIs, but couldn't figure out the advantage. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again mac

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2004 at 2:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/win2k/radeonwdm-2k.html?type=2k&prodType=graphic&prod=products2k

Just one question. Do I need all 4 of these downloads from ATI? There are drivers, control panel, control center and capture driver. The drivers are only 8 megs, but the control center d/l says it requires MS NET framework, which is another 23 megs. And it doesn't mention the 9200 as being supported. Is this all necessary? mac

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 12 November 2004 at 5:27 PM

OK. Installed the catalyst drivers and control panel. UV Mapper now works! Hoorah! Unfortunately, 3d max is so slow, it's almost unusable. But I'll fiddle with the settings and try and get it working. For now, everything's at default. Thanks to all who helped. mac

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.