Tue, Oct 22, 10:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: Now in "Free Stuff" - the TARDIS Console!!!

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 5:21 AM · edited Sat, 19 October 2024 at 2:19 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/freestuff.ez?Form.Contrib=Redfern&Topsectionid=0

file_146142.jpg

In time to "ring in" the 41st anniversary of "Doctor Who", I present you with a free gift, the TARDIS Console! Inspired by the design used in the later Tom Baker and earlier Peter Davison serials, this is the control system that allowed the Doctor to (more or less) pilot the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space). This is not another person's mesh I was granted permission to optimize and distribute. Rather, I modeled this prop from scratch using Caligari's TrueSpace 6.6. To override Poser's "auto-smoothing" formula, I imported the .OBJ file into UV Mapper Pro to split selected vertices and to assign material zones. True, the various levers and switches can not be "posed", but the most critical feature (at least for most fans), the glass column "Time Rotor", can be elevated and lowered. It is actually a second prop "parented" to the main console. I've also supplied textures for the glowing scanners and readouts. The monitor even displays a screen-grab of the "temporal vortex" shown in Tom Baker's opening credits. Astute "Whovians" will notice I've included the station dividing "ribs" featured on the earlier console designs such as the one William Hartnell used. The interior of the "Time Rotor" is a personal design, merging elements from the Baker era column and "The Five Doctors" prop. I have but one request. If you post an image using this prop, drop me a line. I'd love to see what you have rendered! Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

IMS ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 7:17 AM

Thanks a million! Funny thing, I came here and found it while taking a break from making my own. Guess I'll mothball it until I see Eccleston's. Cheers!

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 11:55 AM

I've never seen an episode of Dr. Who, but this looks like a really cool prop :)

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 12:43 PM

Oh dear! You poor, deprived soul! In all seriousness, I realize many have not had the opportunity to watch the exploits of the good Doctor. It's not everyone's cup of tea. Due to the limited budget of the original series, one must be willing to look past the sometimes less than substantial (read: wobbly) sets and bubble-wrap alien costumes. However, the theatrical stage training and conviction of the actors involved helps draw one into the story. If you enjoy adventures in the vein of the old Saturday matinee serials ending in cliff-hangers, "Doctor Who" is for you. If you enjoy characters who use their wits to resolve a problem rather than simply blowing it up (though there are snazzy pyrotechnics) then again, "Doctor Who" is for you. If you want a set of stories that has the lead character quite literally turn into a new person and thus retaining the freshness of the concept, yes, you guessed it, "Doctor Who" is for you! Though few PBS stations air it anymore, the BBC has released many stories on videotape and more recently upon DVD. These disc editions have numerous audio commentaries from surviving performers, featurettes and even comedy sketches. With a new series debuting in the first half of next year, never has there been a better time to introduce oneself to the longest running and open ended science fiction drama, "Doctor Who". Merciful Mogg! I certainly lay it on thick, don't I? Sincerely, Bill

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 2:58 PM

I've seen the Tom Baker ones (kaff kaff..wheeze)..looks great. I'm very impressed; not only have you figured out how to do something constructive in Truespace (my hat's off to you; I've never figured that one out..it's the 2nd most confusing program after Blender..;), and you got it in with sharp edges (still haven't got that one quite down, yet..;)..keep it up.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 3:11 PM

Ah, Pakled, I achieved the sharp edges by using special tools featured in UV Mapper Pro. UV Mapper "classic" will also let you split vertices, but you have no control over the selection. It's "all or nothing". The "Pro" version lets you select material zones, geometries, even single polygons. That's how the cylindrical sections retain their curvatures and the "ribs" have nice creases. As for TrueSpace, that is the suite I first used to study 3D modeling, so for me, it's natural. If it's any consolation, I've yet to even "crack" the splining tools. Sincerely, Bill

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 3:17 PM

Ok... I was born in '79 and watched PBS when I was really little. I don't remember ever seeing the show. I've seen where the doctor was posted at various sites, but I've never heard of what the premise of the show actually was.

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 4:18 PM

Well, then, imagine if you will a pair of school teachers discussing one of their students, Susan Foreman. In some ways she seems far more knowledgable than a girl of 16 should be. In other areas, especially those involving social matters, she appears surprisingly naive. She's very secretive about her domestic life and the home address she gives is in reality, a junk yard! Concerned about the young woman, the two instructors follow her home one foggy evening. She enters the junk yard listed as her "home" address. Miss Wright and Mr. Chesterson enter a few minutes later only to lose track of the girl. Ian wonders why a vintage police box (a kind of miniature police station) resides within the junk yard. Primarily cast in concrete, they stay where they are erected. The science teacher is puzzled why it should be emitting a low hum and resonating as if it were conducting power. The teachers are interrupted by the arrival of an elderly man in Edwardian dress. When they think they've heard Susan call out, they become suspicious of the old man. He evades their questions with a calculating intellect. Once again they hear the girl and realize her voice is coming from the police box! All three adults dash into the cabinet and the two educators galk in stunned silence. Instaed of a closet sized interior, they see a vast "control" room with a hexagonal console as the focus! Chesterson denies what he apparently sees. It has to be an illusion! How can this huge chamber fit within a booth?! Susan claims she and her grandfather are travelers in time and space. This "impossible" box is the TARDIS, short for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. Despite the overriding evidence of the control center, they believe Susan is acting out a grand fantasy. They plead with her to come to her senses. Their lack of faith upsets the girl. When they can't convince her, the teachers decide they need the assistance of the authorities. However, they can not open the doors! This mysterious codger, the "Doctor" starts laughing to himself. Susan realizes he won't let them go. They're trapped! As he starts throwing switches and turning knobs, Susan considers the worst! Her grandfather is about to transport them to lord only knows where...and when! So concludes the first episode of the long running BBC series. I'll supply subsequent details in future posts if others do not. Who knows (pun intended), maybe I've piqued your curiosity! Sincerely, Bill

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 4:20 PM · edited Tue, 23 November 2004 at 4:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.thelogbook.com/tardis/

well.. I think it went off the air (in the US) about, what, early 80's? I watched it as a teenager in the mid-70's..saw Baker, and the blond Cricket player dude after him..then they took it off the air for awhile. If you want to see something scary, check this out..a site with a synopsis of each show on the entire 20-odd year series..;)

Message edited on: 11/23/2004 16:22

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

melanie ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 8:03 PM

Bill, wow, it's great! Thank you. I'll hop into Free Stuff and grab it. Can't wait to play with it. I've been a fan of the show since the late 80's and attended the Visions convention in Chicago four times. Met several of the actors and they're great, friendly folks. This brings back such fun memories. Thanks for all your hard work. You've done a fabulous job with this. Melanie

Khai ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2004 at 8:26 PM

nice work there Bill! nice to see it out and about :) when the time allows, I'll be carrying on with my Type 45 console.. I've worked out a good "time rotor"....

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 11:11 AM

file_146145.jpg

So is Dr. What allowed to use this as well? ;)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 5:09 PM

I can't take credit for that model. I do offer one with weathered and moss covered textures (modeled by Mick Imrie) but the version in your image was constructed by JHoagland. I can tell by the polygonal structure of the door handle. I fisrt saw this clever render at DAZ. Great work on the clothing items! Sincerely, Bill

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 6:24 PM

I just used the only Tardis I could download at the time.. explorer was acting up. (it was actually Adsgone)

melanie ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 6:13 PM

Gareee, what a great render! :) Melanie

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 6:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GAL_200411/GalleryImage818985.jpg

Thanks! didja check out the Sal Helsing one I added to the gallery the other night? it came out WAY cool.. I'm very proud of it!

melanie ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 7:26 PM

Fantastic! Great work! Melanie

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2004 at 8:25 PM

I figured you'd like that one too. It kinda got buried in the Aiko flood.. ;)

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 29 November 2004 at 5:33 PM

Based upon discussions in some recent threads, I've opted to play it conservatively and have removed my "Doctor Who" related free items before I may be given an official "warning". Not that it really means anything in the grand scheme of life, but I'd rather not be penalized for actions that were once deemed acceptable. There are people here I've grown to like, and there is much valued information to be utilized. If I were banned, I would no longer have access to that information or some of my friends. This does not mean I will lock away the files, never to be shared again. Rather, I will seek other venues such as other sites still willing to share fan material. I will let you know what site(s) I have selected. I will not argue Renderosity's decision. As a privately owned site, the administrators have the right to decide what is permitted and what is not (as long as it does not violate state and Federal law). And if the reasons I've been told in confidence are correct, it does make sense. I am, however, saddened that members have been given "marks" against their permanent records after the site owners allowed the "concerned" items to remain for months, if not years. Especially when there's been a "screening" process in place since April 2003. Personally, I do not think that is fair, but again I will not debate the administrators' decisions. If requested, I will remove the "DW" tributes from my gallery should the administrators deem them no longer acceptable. Again, based upon privilaged information, that day will most likely come. Sincerely, Bill

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 29 November 2004 at 5:44 PM

Sixus has offered to host freebies like this..

melanie ( ) posted Mon, 29 November 2004 at 7:46 PM

This is sad to hear. Over the years, there have been lots of Trek stuff, Star Wars, etc. I can't see what's so wrong with it. As long as nothing is being sold for profit, which would violate copyright, what's the problem? In the past, there have been some studios, publishers, etc., that considered the fan art as "free advertising," and actually welcomed it. Too bad these things keep happening. Big shrug!!! Melanie

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2004 at 12:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp

All three of the "Doctor Who" items I removed from Renderosity can now be found at the link provided. Let us be thankful of JHoagland's generosity for offering the VanishingPoint link portal! Sincerely, Bill

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2004 at 1:09 PM

Thank Gawd...I REALLY hate what's been happening of late, and seeing so much excellent generous freebie offerings just drying up, and blowing away...

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2004 at 1:19 PM

Hey, look at it as though I've simply wheeled my fruitstand down the street. I've I withheld them totally, that would be a different matter. BTW, I thought I should contact Mick Imrie, the original modeler of the police box, to let him know what happened. Our original agreement was that he'd allow me to offer his model from here. Thankfully, he's amiable to other sites, so it's still available. Sincerely, Bill

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2004 at 1:32 PM

Oh, I don't really care where items are at, as long as they don't just disappear. Its just a shame that a lot of things I used to come here for just ain't here any more. ;)

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2004 at 7:17 PM

Thanks for the info, Bill. :) Melanie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.