Tue, Sep 24, 9:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 9:23 am)

Subject: Is it just me??? (24 days of gifts for you from daz published artists)

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:11 AM

Corinne wrote: "Gawd... So if someone will be offering you something (anything) for Victoria 3 you're going to complain because you need to purchase Victoria 3 ? That's plain ridiculous." This is so completely not comparable. The people who offer freebies for V3 make no money if you buy V3 or not. If I offer a free item for V3 it IS a gift which just happens only to be of value to those who have V3. It's nothing to me whether you buy V3 or not. On the other hand, if I offer "FREE GIFT - MAT files for Phantast's Conforming Wotsit available in the RMP NOW!", do you not see that my motives may not be entirely altruistic? Please guys - use a bit of perspective instead of flying off the handle on autopilot.

Spencer ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:12 AM

The original question posed by aeilkema was 'Is it just me???
The answer is no, there are 6 others of like mind in this thread - Tilandra, garblesnix, Bobbie Boucher, querie, phantast and XENOPHONZ . There are however many more people who take a different view and know how to politely accept or decline a gift.
It is interesting to note that not one of the complainers has ever posted anything free on the Renderosity freebie pages (and one of them is a broker)
I like freebies, the same as anybody else. I visited the Renderosity Xmas Freebie page and there were lots and lots of goodies - but there was nothing of interest to me personally despite the wide variety on offer. I did not however complain to anybody about that, it just would not have occurred to me.

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:16 AM

Spencer - enough of the ad hominem attacks. Anyone who knows me knows that I have made a large number of freebies available in the past (and also freely redistributable). They just happen not to be at THIS site. And it doesn't matter to me whether you like them or not because I'm not selling anything. They are not add-ons for my own commercial products. You are also missing the point like the others.

deerpath ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 10:20 AM

The first week of December, my young daughter asked me if we could start getting ready for Christmas.

I told her that I wanted to make a couple gifts for people first, to give them some happiness. Of course, she is young and wanted to get ready for our own Christmas, but said okay.

I want to teach her the importance of Community service, giving, and being a volunteer.

She suggested ideas of what to make, and also helped me the whole way through a full week of modeling, UVMapping, correcting, texturing, by adding her comments and suggestions to the production of the gifts. (Or just watching the process in some cases - lol). It became a fun project for her to help mom and the gifts are from both of us. She could hardly wait to watch for the gifts to be offered.

Never could I imagine this reaction and it really makes me sad, and my daughter just doesn't understand why people are so mad about getting gifts.

Like others have said, this was not a DAZ idea, not orchestrated by anyone other that a few people, and not a motive to sell things.

It was simple. The idea was put forth by one person and several of us said, Yes, that would be fun to give gifts. Let's see what we can get together. There was a jumble to get ready as is usual with the holiday season.
People who texture, textured products they had, and people that model created a little something. Just like here and other places. This year I only had time to make things for 2 of the 4 places I love to go. I hope to make 4 things next year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all that are enjoying our small tokens of the season.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 11:05 AM · edited Fri, 17 December 2004 at 11:07 AM

Oh, geesh. First let's get some things straight.

1.) Wine is a beverage you drink. You can wHine about something. See the difference in spelling.

2.) Brokers are people who handle artists. An artist is not necessarily a broker, unless that artist is also a broker.

3.) If someone gives me the keys to a Mercedes, it would be nice if that meant they were giving me the Mercedes. If they were not giving me the Mercedes, I wouldn't need to be giving away cars myself to complain that I couldn't use the keys.

4.) You don't know what I give or try to give to the community. I just spent over 16 hours working on my last gift, only to have it shoved cruelly down my throat. It hurt more than you can imagine, because this kind of reaction has been going on for as long as I've been working with Poser.

5.) Oh, and I'm struggling to find some Christmas spirit as I'll spend my first Christmas alone since I got married 5 years ago. And it makes no sense that my (ex) wife is just down the street, feeling just as bad as I am.

It's nice of you artists to offer free stuff, but you have to remember not everyone will like what you offer. The real joy in giving is in the making and/or giving of the gift. The receiver of the gift doesn't owe you anything. You should always remember the recipient of the gift and their feelings are just as important as yours.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have some more important things to occupy my mind.

Message edited on: 12/17/2004 11:06

Message edited on: 12/17/2004 11:07

Shoshanna ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 11:17 AM

Anyone complaining that someone else took the trouble to create then give away something you might have to buy something else to use should be ashamed of themselves. What's next? I don't like that item, make me another one? If you don't want what's offered, don't take it. There is no obligation to accept a gift. Personally, I'm grateful to anyone who takes the time to offer a freebie, whether it be at Christmas or any other time of year on any of the Poser sites. Thank you to all freebie makers & I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. Thread locked. Shoshanna

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.