Mon, Sep 9, 4:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 9:02 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Any wings users in here? Small issue

CDI ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2004 at 10:19 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 2:58 AM

file_160667.jpg

Ive posted this in a similar manner to the Wings forum as Im not completely sure which app is having the problem.

Anyway. I made a simple house in Wings and exported it as an OBJ. When I import it into Blender (official 2.36) Blender creates the extra edges you see in the pic.

Anyone else having this trouble??

Draven931 ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2004 at 2:17 PM

i think i read in a post on some other forum some were i cant rember what one at the moment that the wings obj exporter adds the edges for some reason and to try importing it in to blender as .wings file i maybe wrong on this im not sure but im sure casey42 can answer that one better than i can since he uses wings

CDI ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2004 at 9:05 PM

Unfortunetly Ive tried that. The edges are even worse as a wings file

CDI ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2004 at 10:45 PM

HOuse issue solved.
Apparently its an issue having to do with the blender and wings having different ideas about what a "face" is

ysvry ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2004 at 4:26 AM

so whats the remedy if it is solved?

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

CDI ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2004 at 6:02 AM

According to Jiri at the BF:

"wings3d can have faces, which have more then 4 edges. Blender can't have such faces ... so we have to do triangulation of such faces."

I went back and subdivided certain faces.

casey_42 ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2004 at 7:55 AM

Maybe that is what my recent problems have been, the last few things I hae made in wings have been having similar looking aditions in both blender and DAZ|Studio, it has been driving me nutz, I was about to give up on wings, will have to try sub-dividing and see.

CDI ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2004 at 8:08 AM

Casey.
Its the inability of Blender to deal with more than 4 edges thats killing us. If your face has more than 4 edges, thats one to divide!

ysvry ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2004 at 4:03 PM

blender can handle more then 4 edges but they must all be in the same plane try the edit function and add some edges. and if it was blender why are there also problems in dazstudio??? :P Its a good tip with exporting in mind to keep faces all to 3 or 4 edges though

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

billrobertson42 ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 9:14 PM

I think there is a function in rhino that will convert all polygons in a mesh to triangles. If you have a small model I can try it for you. Send me an email at billrobertson42 (-at-) yahoo (-dot-) com Also, I saw something about a blender export plugin for wings. Maybe that would work (if it exists?)

CDI ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2005 at 2:03 PM

YS:
Hrmmmm...ok. That doesnt really explain the issue it was having with the house model does it? Hrmmmm.... ah well. I know how to solve the issue on my end so I guess the problem is at least practically solved.

Bill: Thanks. I have rhino. I try to avoid tris in my meshes except for poser dynamic clothes.

billrobertson42 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2005 at 6:10 PM

So how did you take care of it then?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.