Sun, Sep 22, 4:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:04 pm)

Subject: Poser 5 translucency as shadowcatcher?

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 2:14 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:18 PM

In the Poser 6 discussions, I've seen mention of materials than can come close to producing the shadowcatcher idea. I've trying searching the forums here and more generally and can't find any references. Could someone point me in the right direction?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 2:26 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=76990

Shadowcatcher? If that's what I think it is, you can do something similar in P5 with a shader. Check the link to see if that's what you're looking for.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 2:36 PM

Thats exactly it. Time to go and play.. Thanks for the rapid response

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 3:22 PM

You're welcome. I added it to my Favorites some time ago. :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 3:52 PM

If stewers shader can be applied to objects that are box shaped or spheres, etc then you could do the p6 shadowcasting in poser 5. If the shader works on complex objects it might be interesting, too.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 5:56 PM

file_184825.jpg

Depends on the object. I had some luck earlier with a series of flat planes set up to make a step, but a wave did this. I'll try it with some custom built objects when I get time

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 6:02 PM · edited Mon, 14 February 2005 at 6:03 PM

You might run into problems using this on more complex objects. Reason being, it does not "occlude" the other objects behind it. It's simply a transparency trick. However, I don't know if P6's shadowcatcher is a TRUE matte/shadow material either.

This solution wouldn't work well, for instance, if you wanted to use it to composite shadows cast from your human figure in post as a seperate render pass from the figure itself, like you can in some applications. It's hard to explain unless you yourself have encountered a render condition where you simply wanted to composite shadows as a seperate pass.

Message edited on: 02/14/2005 18:03

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Poseur ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 6:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/PoserTuts/PoserPages/PoserSuperImpGraphics.html

Here's a link to a tutorial describing another approach to compositing shadows from Poser onto a background image. It's a bit more labour-intensive than Stewer's shader but it should work in any version of Poser, not just P5.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 7:01 PM

LOL. Funny, LD. I just made a post about basically the same thing, for ambient occlusion. Only, I'm asking for a python script that will do the conversion of materials automatically. Know of any?

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2005 at 7:41 PM

PhilC has a freebie over at his website, but I don't know if it'll work in P5.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 1:30 AM

file_184829.jpg

Here is an example with a simple single sided poly give a few hills, similar to the example used in the link Curious Labs gave. It works well with this shape, as long as one of the lights hits it from below. It might well be possible to get the wave to work well with different lighting.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 1:30 AM

file_184831.jpg

And here is the object

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 1:31 AM

Still looking forward to Poser 6 though

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 6:43 AM

Johnrichardjr that is what I meant to do and it looks very similar to the shadowcatcher, using a more complex hill like one from terragen would probably improve the shadows greatly.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 10:26 AM

Indeed. The idea here was to produce a simple shape quickly where all of the slopes were forward, to avoid the problem I had with the wave. This sort of shape would be good for more urban scenes. I just hope Poser 6 has some improved basic modeling commands, so we don't all have to keep importing flat surfaces. The example link they gave sort of hints at something on those lines

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.