Mon, Sep 9, 8:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: P6..and purchasing..One loyal customer view.

Dynamo ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 3:13 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 4:58 AM

Im not trying to flame anyone, or start and arguments but I have to say i feel very slighted. Ive been with Poser for some time, and even after the fall from grace of P5 I still got it, i had faith that it would turn around. That didnt happen as many thought it would in a timely manner but I understand that things happen.

Fast forward after many a sling and arrow at CL, some still held on and when they merged some jumped right in with Shade... Which to me shows a dedicated customer and consumer willing to stay with you the long haul. But now we have the preorder for P6 but only those very early on get the really nice discount leaving others to pay about 40.00$ more.

My thoughts are it should be available to anyone whose bought P5 and possibly even Shade. I mean it was a bit of a leap of trust when it hit wether it would be another "falling down" as P5 was seen.

It would be awesome of someone could weigh in on this either pro or con without flaming just to cite their position.

Anyway, thanks for the read, now back to Poser.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 3:58 PM

I get your point here but I think it's more of a "shut up and go away" payment to the early buyers, probably because of the stuff that didn't get fixed in P5. My guess is that the later you bought P5, the more you'd realise some things just wouldn't ever be fixed. As I said, just a guess.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Aeneas ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 4:00 PM

From what I've seen: interface, new specs etc, I will not upgrade. I'll have to see and read about the many advantages and fixed hindrances (multiple undo, clicking double plus to add, but double clicking to replace, content room,...) before they see the colour of my money. Besides: accepting P's interface, slowness and quirks, I kinda like P5. So no P6 for me in 2005. Yet, I see your point. But people like me, who got 5 when most bugs had been removed have not suffered like people who got P5 too early. So it is good something special has been done for those. My idea: if it is more than you would like to pay for it, then don't buy.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

dlfurman ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 4:00 PM

The vendor set the terms. I, also have been a long time Poser user. I still have my Poser v1 diskettes (yes, diskettes). Those who pre-ordered got the deal, simple as that. I wish I had the deal. Heck, I wish I had the $129 to pre-order (being out of work put the kibosh on that!) I can't complain, I got Poser 5 for $99 at Amazon.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

bevans84 ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 4:01 PM

Mixed feelings here. I bought the full version of P5 back in the fall, and bought the full version of Shade Standard back in Dec (probably because of that picture of the Cobra, thought "Wow, can I do that?", maybe in like a kazillion years). I received no email notification from CL, no gift coupons, and none of this stuff everyone's posting about. I'm not worried about the $129 upgrade, that's chicken feed compared to what I've spent here and at DAZ Anyway, I shelled out the full upgrade price, and I'm sure it'll have all the features of P5 that I haven't learned yet, along with a whole bunch of new features. But, there you go, us cynical, disassociated types don't usually get our expectations too high. :-)

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 4:26 PM

I don't understand the complaint. Is it that some people are getting a better deal than others? I have P5, almost but didn't buy Shade. I can get Poser6 with Shade LE and a bonus figure for $129. Since I use Firefly as my main renderer the Poser6 enhancements are very exciting to me. The other features are also very welcome. Hopefully stability issues will be minor. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the announcement, unless I've missed something.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 4:50 PM

Ahh, now im probably unique in saying i don't mind poser 5 so when the choice of upgrading arose i promplty went over to CL and tried to Pre-Order, yep i say tried, because for some reason, Curious labs think my Poser5 serial does not exist, even though i bought the bloody thing from their store and it's registered with them....So now im waiting for my CL to e-mail me back to tell me what has gone wrong, Or did it???? is it just a little gimmick by CL to see how many people try to Pre-Order? makes you wonder???? Come on CL sort it.... Ohh and im happy Poser6 has OpenGL support so my nice NVidia 5950 finally will get some use...yay....

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:14 PM

I was able to pre-order the P6 upgrade with no problems at all. The process went off without a hitch.

For some reason, the P6 pre-order system seems to be having problems with European serial #'s. I suspect that it's just a glitch, and that Digital River will get the problem worked out before too much longer.

BTW - I am perfectly happy with my copy of the imperfect P5 program. I am likewise looking forward to recieving my copy of the doubtless absolutely perfect P6 in the mail.

No, P6 won't be perfect. Show me a software program that is.

But I enjoy Poser. Even with all of its quirks.

$129.00 is peanuts. Exchanged in return for many months of fun.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:17 PM · edited Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:20 PM

shedofjoy I had the same problem occure to me yesterday and send them a mail about the site saying that the serial wasn't valid and got an e-mail back today, telling me to upgrade Poser 5?!!
I now have mailed them on a nother email address on there site and is waiting for reply. Wonder if others have had this problem or did anyone managed to pre order Poser 6 as and upgrade for Poser 5? Edit XENOPHONZ you could be right, I'm in Europe. But should that matter, I mean, I bought the downloadable version from CL.

Message edited on: 02/17/2005 17:20

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:32 PM

XENOPHONZ you could be right, I'm in Europe. But should that matter, I mean, I bought the downloadable version from CL.

No.....it shouldn't matter.

But the only people that I've seen complaining about rejected serial #'s seem to be in Europe. It looks like they've got some sort of a software glitch in their pre-order system when it comes to European serial #'s -- and those serial #'s not being recognized as valid.

I would fully expect the DR people to get the problem ironed out before too much longer.

Chances are, P6 won't actually be released for several more weeks anyway -- so that should give them ample time to straighten out the difficulties.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:34 PM

It's got to be frustrating, I know.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:36 PM

I think i am in the same style of thinking as XENOPHONZ and was quite happy with poser5 and to all those who say. And please, as if CL are going to give $40 off to those who are going to wait and see if Poser6 is any good before they buy... ehhh no... to us who like and are willing to put up with Poser6's bugs (which will be ironed out as they are with ALL software)we get things like $40 off and the Special ed and shade Le... so stop moaning... Ohhh and Feia... i had those troubles too... but if you keep entering your serial you will get there in the end.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:47 PM

I can live the bugs in Poser 5 so I'm sure I can live with the ons in P6 as well. I do not expect a software of Posers format to be bug free to the price they charge for it and to me it looks like that most major bugs gets fixed along the way. Thanks shedofjoy, I'll try it again, also because I know, if I'm not able to do it in one of the nearest days I proberly will not bother again for months.

marvlin ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 5:48 PM

Open gl? Does that mean that it will use my graphics card to render now, rather than just oodles of Ram?

i7 5930K 3.60Ghz | ASUS X99-S Motherboard | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM | NVIDIA TitanX | Antec 1000w Power supply | Windows 10 x64 Home

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 6:07 PM

marvlin - I sure hope so, the guy how threw my pc togther did it with 3D programs in mind and I had to pay about 1000$! for my graphic card (well, my screen hasn't frozen since on anything) LOL

Puntomaus ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 6:09 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=2122253

Click on the link and read post #78, send Katherine from CL an IM with the info she needs. They are aware of the problem already.

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

marvlin ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 6:12 PM

Yeh, me too, I bought an Nvidea 6800 ultra recently and my my 3d game play etc has been great. It would be nice to get the same performance in poser 6, with faster renders and hopefully more objects in the scenes etc. If this is the case, I will be ordering P6 fairly rapidly :op

i7 5930K 3.60Ghz | ASUS X99-S Motherboard | Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM | NVIDIA TitanX | Antec 1000w Power supply | Windows 10 x64 Home

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 6:13 PM

I did manage to preorder just a few min back.

bevans84 ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 6:14 PM

I'd like to post a quick note saying that Katherine sent me an IM offering to help straighten out my email notification. Shucks, they already had my upgrade order and didn't need to do that at all. Watch it Katherine, it's hard to be a cynic when people do nice things for you. :-) Thanks

Curious_Labs ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 6:23 PM

Thank you Bevans84 Also to the rest having Upgrade Pre-Order Difficulties: I've been trying to get to as many threads on the boards as possible relating to the serial number issue on pre-ordering Poser 6-SE. I've received hundreds of IM's today and the consistency has been in areas outside of the US. (Though not to say that there are not some of our support staff working problems through for those in the US). But predominately, the issue stems from a call out function from the Digital River Global store. I believe if it hasn't already been fixed - it will be by noon PST tomorrow. Our deepest apologies for the frustration. With kind regard, Katherine

Puntomaus ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 6:52 PM

Yay, it works! Just tried it again and my order went through :-)

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 9:20 PM

Now for the wet blanket. Children, the only thing OpenGL will do is accelerate the rendering of the preview window. Actual hardware rendering acclerator cards are premium items (look up the Oxygen series to get an idea how premium). Game cards have no backfeed buffer; what goes in goes to the ramdac then to the monitor. The most Open GL will do is allow you to have more figures-items in the viewport before it bogs down. And see up to 8 lights and the transparencies. But you won't get any actual rendering assist, anymore than Vue or Truespace does.

Netherworks ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 3:01 AM

I pre-ordered and am looking forward to it. I've kept up with Poser since version 4. As XENOPHONZ said, in the grand scheme of things looking at the big picture costs of 3D and what I've spent on Poser content - this isn't a huge amount of money at all.

Hawke ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 6:10 AM

Personally I'm supprised at just how inexpensive the upgrade is (especially with all the free stuff) Living in the UK i'm use to having to pay over-and-above my friends in the US for the same stuff but on this occasion (before VAT at least) the prices are v nearly inline with exchange rates (its about 14% more expensive in the UK) Not too bad compared to other things.

Dynamo ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 7:18 AM

In regards to moogal, I am not complaining it is a discussion, ive always felt whining or complaining as Ive seen here is alot more vocal and demanding. The above was just my thoughts on the issue. I mean I do respect that you didnt purchase shade, but thats a bit of the crux of my discussion. There are those of us who did buy shade pretty much at jump, and did buy P5 and who dont need SHADE LE due to having a model higher than that. Its not the difference between 89.00 dollars and 129.00 because thats inconsequential as anyone knows. Anyway, thanks for the discussion. ..Im also glad that the preorder glitch seems to have been corrected for this who were having trouble. At this time i'll most likely just wait since I dont feel any compulsion to upgrade with the offers and packaging bundle at this time. Keep Posing in the shade.. because its cool there.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2005 at 7:39 AM

I pre-ordered Poser5 & have been happy with it right from the start even with the delivery problems thanks to the one-legged irishman on his pushbike (long story from the UK delivery fiasco) & all the bugs, but I can't pre-order Poser6 so I'll have to pay the higher price once it's been released & I have enough money saved up :( Happy I'm not but it's just the way things go sometimes.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2005 at 4:01 AM

People that bought P5 when it first came out spent more on it than people who bought it a month ago. It evens out.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Darkworld ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 6:23 PM

I'm working with P5 every day now, and the bugs and lockups continue to stun me. I really REALLY hope Poser 6 gets some of the system lockup under control. Having to restart poser every hour because it's incapable of rendering 2 fully dressed figures pisses me off to say the least. My system is uber, I've read every tip and trick for tweaking poser, I have the latest version, and still we hang on P4 renderer during loading textures unless I make sure my scene is insanely simple. wtf. Poser 6 doesn't even need a single new feature; if it runs well, and renders well, no price is too high IMO.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.