Fri, Sep 20, 1:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Trying to create a spiky texture - need help!

fuzzoom ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 1:29 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:50 AM

I am trying to create a bumpmap of a spiky texture. I want low, pointy spikes that gradually slope up from the surface, similar to thorns. I have tried every kind of radial gradient to achieve this effect, but none of the bumpmaps I have created look right. I tried procedurals, but that didn't work either. Any ideas? Anyone?

thomllama ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:10 PM

try anything grows.. that will make something aong those lines

Hexagon, Carrara, Sculptris, and recently Sketchup. 

sailor_ed ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:35 PM

file_196849.jpg

If you want to create a bumpmap this will give you the "gradient" but I don't know how well it will "bump" (I assume you know C fairly well and PhotoShop.) 1. Create a model of your thorn. I used the spline modeler and oriented it spike up in the assembly room. 2. Insert an isometric camera and using the directors camera place it above the thorn. Switch to iso camera and using the zoom in the properties tray size the thorn in the frame. 3. Do a render in the render room selecting Photoshop format output (.psd) and check "distance" in the G-Buffers. 4. Save and then open the render in photoshop. The height map of the thorn will be in the 4th channel of the render. You will be able to copy it and make your bump map from there. If you have Anything grooves you can recreate the thorn but I don't know why you would want to. :-) The image gives a rough idea of what's going on.

thomllama ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 5:45 PM

wow that sounds easy too :)

Hexagon, Carrara, Sculptris, and recently Sketchup. 

mdesmarais ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 8:28 PM

Did you try the Spike modifier?

fuzzoom ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 9:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried the Spike modifier and it wasn't really what I was looking for. I don't have Anything Grows, so I will try the Photoshop suggestion. I am trying to model a kiwano (horned melon). This is a fruit with a spiky outer rind. Should look cool if I can get the spikes right.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 10:22 PM

I think smoothing extruded polygons would work well.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

falconperigot ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 2:33 AM

file_196851.jpg

You might consider modelling the spikes. Bump maps are useful but they are never a substitute for actual geometry. With a bump the edges of your melo will remain smooth. Modelling needn't be difficult. In this example I used a fairly high resolution vertex sphere and pulled out the spikes using the magnet tool set to a small radius (0.5). I then used the cellular bump to create the texture of the skin.

sailor_ed ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 7:34 AM

Looks like a horned melon to me! Nice work!

fuzzoom ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2005 at 9:40 PM

Question for Sailor Ed... I modelled a spike shape and rendered it as a Photoshop file. Where are the "G-buffers" that I have to check "distance" in?

sailor_ed ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 7:11 AM

They are in the render room properties panel under the "Options" tab. They're down at the bottom, you might have to scroll.

Sardtok ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 7:38 AM

Another option is to model a spike, remove all lights, set an isometric camera pointing directly down at it, set an elevation shader in the glow channel or use a gradient shader in the glow channel. The elevation shader requires more work to do the job, but if tweaked correctly it's a better choice. Another easy choice is to use the color gradient shader, as you can set the control points...

sailor_ed ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 7:41 AM

Very good! I can see how that would give you better control over the final result.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.