Tue, Oct 8, 6:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 4:32 pm)

Subject: Poser 5/6 Reflection_Image Node in Materials Room

Seriphum ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:33 PM · edited Tue, 08 October 2024 at 6:26 PM

file_219733.jpg

I really hate to sound like a newbie here, but I was reading a rather ill-documented tutorial, and it had in it's screen shot of the material room, a node that was titled "Reflection_Image" and for the life of me, I can't seem to find how to create that node! Could someone please help! Much of grass

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:49 PM

Looks like the guy renamed it. There is no "reflection image" node per-say. It's basically just a standard 2D image node plugged into a sphere map node.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Seriphum ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:57 PM

I thought that at first as well, but I saw other examples of People in the forums posting pics with the same node. It's either a coincidence that multiple people renamed their nodes to the exact same thing, or there's more to it than just a rename!

thixen ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:58 PM

yea thats all that is. It's just an image map pluged into a sphere environment map node and then plugged into the reflection color node. It's used to 'fake' reflections and often actually look a lot more realistic then raytraced reflections, since there is often nothing for the raytrace reflections to reflect in the scene Has anyone ever figured out a way to have both mapped and raytraced reflections on the same material?

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:09 PM · edited Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:13 PM

"It's either a coincidence that multiple people renamed their nodes to the exact same thing, or there's more to it than just a rename!"

It's just a logical way to rename the node for reference sake. There's really nothing special about it.

"Has anyone ever figured out a way to have both mapped and raytraced reflections on the same material?"

Yeah, it's simply a matter of plugging your raytrace reflection node into the reflection color channel (as per normal), then plugging your reflection map (image map) into the color slot of the reflection node you just plugged in. If you wanna use a sphere map node, then that goes into the raytrace reflection node's color first, followed by the image map. What this does is simply raytrace everthing it can see, and places the map in the areas in the scene that are empty, or that have no objects to reflect. Like a sky, for instance.. Message edited on: 04/13/2005 14:13

thixen ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:24 PM

Slaps forehead doh, now that you mention it, I think I've done that before. I guess thats what poser 6 until 2:30 am then waking up at 6:30 am will do to ya. thanks,

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:27 PM

file_219736.jpg

***"I guess thats what poser 6 until 2:30 am then waking up at 6:30 am will do to ya."*** LOL... I know the feeling. ;-) Here's a quick example of the node structure for you just to illustrate.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:28 PM

file_219737.jpg

And here's what it looks like rendered. Just a ground plane and chrome sphere in this scene.

akura_ ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 3:13 PM

Can this be apply to a mirror too and how would you do that.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 4:31 PM

Sure, it can act as a mirror material too. Because a mirror is a flat plane object, you wouldn't need the sphere map between the image map and the reflect node. So plug the image map into the reflect node directly.

akura_ ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 4:33 PM

what does the image map have to be. is it a defult thing?

thixen ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 4:48 PM

not too bad, I may mess around with this when I get home. The reflection map can be any image file the Poser can read, which is most of them.

akura_ ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 5:15 PM

So if I want a poser character's back t show in a mirror, how do I do that.

thixen ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 5:27 PM

2 ways, The first would be to just do it through a raytraced reflection node plugged into the reflection node at the tree base. Or you could do what they used to do in P4 and fake it by rendering the scene from a camera angle that displays what you want to show in the mirror. Save that as a image file, then use that as the reflection map. That's the hard way of doing that, and with P5 and P6 (I don't know about PP) supporting raytraced reflections, it's an unnessecary burden. Now a days the reflection map is mainly use to reflect something that isn't in your scene (ie the sky, or an off camera character) so you don't get a 'null' reflection ( a reflection of nothing)

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 7:00 PM

You don't even have to plug a texture map into the reflection node, procedural shaders work just as well. If you want to have a chrome reflection for instance, a sphere_map and a Clouds shader (adjust the colors) is very good for reflecting sky. Procedural shaders slow down the render - they have to be calculated - but are much more memory efficient than texture maps.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

byAnton ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 2:52 PM

AKmaterialroombookmark

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.