Tue, Oct 22, 6:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 4:45 pm)

Subject: That P6 memory thingie... can anyone help me... pleeeeese!

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:29 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 5:22 PM

First off, I admit that it was really REALLY stupid to spend hours and hours on a poser scene without doing lots of saves along the way. Second, having just done a search, I've discovered that the P6 memory bug is a known issue, much discussed and cussed here. (In my case, I'm getting the 'out of error' message while I still have 1200 megs of unused RAM.) Having said that, I have this scene in my PC, and P6 won't let me save it. I'd really prefer not to have to do it all from scratch again. Is there ANY way at all I can save this thing? If there's a solution that I haven't found, I'd be really grateful if anyone can help me. If there isn't, I'd be (almost) equally grateful if someone can put me out of my misery, so I can heartily cuss CL and start from scatch again (with lots of saving this time. I wish Poser had some sort of auto-save...) Thanks! Morph

artistheat ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:48 AM

Do you have memturbo?If you do run it.It just might give you enough memory back so you can save it...That's what I do sometimes and it works...Good Luck...

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:54 AM

Hi - I don't have memturbo. I have another program called RAM Idle PRO, but it hasn't helped. Anyway, actual memory doesn't seem to be the problem - when I get the out-of-memory error, I actually still have nearly 1300 megs of unused RAM. It's just that P6 either can't see it, or can't access it. The scene isn't the problem either - over the past week I've used the same set-up on a daily basis with no problems. I'm guessing I'm screwed. I've just noticed that when I DID try to save the file, P6 kindly wrote it as a zero-byte file, so I've lost a lot more than just what I've done today. I think I'm just going to give up, start again, and use P5 this time. I think a bug this size just makes P6 too much hassle until they sort it out. Thanks! Morph

duskangel1 ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 12:00 PM

I had a similar problem though I had saved my document many times along the way before I got the memory error message. I had read as well about the problem and figured it was ok I would only loose the last few things I did. I closed Poser, rebooted my machine and went back to open my document. I found it too was somehow written to and contained 0 bytes. Not a happy camper. I started over though, renamed my document and over a couple days got back to where I was happy again. Now, when I go to open the new file nothing displays! There is no preview/render window at all. So out of frustration I said I give up with this particular picture and go to open something else I have been working on. I opened the wrong file but atleast the preview/rendor window appeared and I saw the picture. I went to open the correct file, hitting don't save and open other file and now I have two windows on my screen. I try closing again one of them and I get yet another window on my screen of file I was trying to close! Needless to say Poser seems to be locked up with windows I don't really think are there. I don't know what is going on but I guess I am finally seeing the problems people have been posting about! I'm going to go cry now!!! Just kidding - just thought I would post incase others are having same problems. We aren't crazy, these strange things really happen!

nickedshield ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 12:56 PM

If you still have your scene on screen you might try goung into the manual render settings and reduce the textures, turn off texture shading. Then move your scene a smidgen then try to save.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

operaguy ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 1:28 PM

maybe you can save elements as new figures, at least?

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 1:59 PM

Try saving the scene to the prop library.

Tirjasdyn

blondbear1 ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 6:26 PM

I ran into this problem. I couldn't save the pz3 file. I read a post at RDNA and it worked for me. Go to general prefernces and uncheck the box for use external binary morph targets. This has worked for me till CL comes out with the Service Release for it.

Demonika ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:17 PM

DEAR LORD!! I've had Poser 6 for a week now, been saving up for ages, had seen some of the new renders with it and thought, whoah! Looking good. I haven't managed to get a single render out of the damn thing, everything I've done no matter how basic, I've got the damn "not enough memory" message. I've increased windows virtual memory and I have 1gb of Ram so it's definitely not my pc messing up (for a change). I've tried disabling "use binary morph targets" and the memory message is still coming up. And the ironic thing? Being (overly) optomistic, I'd moved everything out of Poser 5 and deleted P5 to save space. Ah hah! How I'm regretting that now. Oh yes. I've got a new pc arriving this week, Athlon 3800 64 bit with 2gb of ram so I'm going to attempt moving everything over to see if I can get a render on the new machine. If not I'm going to bang my head on the desk and fingerpaint the blasted render in my own blood, sweat and tears. If anyone has any more ideas/tips/advice/aspirin regarding this memory problem I'd really love to know them. Otherwise I'm going to be emailing CL on the hour, every hour until the release a patch for this. I vaguely remember something similar happening with Poser 5, think it was mentioned in a forum somewhere. Something about P5 remembering everything that was used in a scene, even after it had been deleted. Hence memory becoming low. Dunno if it's the same kind of thing happening with P6 but I really do hope it gets sorted out soon.

operaguy ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:45 PM

you mean to tell me you can't just launch poser6 and render the default james figure, as is? ::::: Opera :::::

Demonika ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:57 PM

Nope! I can play around setting up a scene, morphing, texturing... When it comes to a render BOOM! The memory message. I've been able to get 2 preview renders at the lowest settings possible within the poser window and that's it. I've tried James, Jessi, a cube, a ball... I'll also get the memory message when I've got V3 clothed, textured and I add hair. My P6 does not like hair. Perhaps it's the special edition Bald release? It appears to be saving the files OK to an extent, I've got no zero byte files but when I try to load something I've saved, oh hey, what's this? Not enough memory! And an interesting new thing just happened. Attempted to load a previous P6 save and it loaded showing the figure/clothes without the correct textures. Just the material mapping zones in pretty colours. Can't access any part of the figure as P6 tells me the only thing in my scene is the ground. If I hadn't spent 3 hours working on just a face morph for a character I'm working on and actually hoping to release I (probably) wouldn't be so damn peeved right this minute.

blondbear1 ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 2:52 AM

Demonica. Maybe the problem is the graphics card. I am using openGL on an NVidia GForceFX 5950 ultra, 256 mb Graphics card, and I have not had any memory problem when it comes to rendering. My memory problem was that I couldn't save the pz3. Which I found the work around for.

JeffAlberts ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 12:42 PM

Guess I won't be buying P6 anytime soon. Are you watching, CL? You guys didn't learn after the dreadful P5 release.

Demonika ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 2:22 PM

Well, I had hoped that "CL" would learn after the problems with the P5 release! As a customer I don't expect to bear the blame for the product manufacturer's mistakes. But then I am incredibly disappointed with P6 and yes, I do regret buying it. I just hope they release fixes for the numerous bugs post haste. I overclocked my graphics card and managed to get a render after more experimentation with render settings. There's no way I can get a production quality render at the moment and P6 is still giving me problems with basic renders. Seems to be having problems with transmaps and raytracing so I'll obviously have to mess around further to see if I can rectify that. In the meantime I'll be going back to P5 until CL sort this damned mess out.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.