Thu, Sep 19, 3:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:38 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Confusion about the Nudity flag

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:05 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:30 PM

There seems to be a certain amount of confusion as to the exact function of the nudity flag that can be set when posting an image. I have received notices from members that imply I am not setting this flag when a render contains such material. I think they are confusing the not required but thoughtful inclusion of the word Nudity within the title or thumbnail of the image when it is posted with the actual setting of the Nudity flag in the check box. Since receiving notices from members that seem to question my integrity with regards to causing them or other members offense (hurt feelings), I have crafted thumbnails that do not contain nudity, and included the word nudity in the title of the image neither of which are required by the TOS as far as I can tell. I ALWAYS check the nudity flag box and would consider it grossly irresponsible not to do so. I am thinking that the next step might be to have no thumbnail other than a warning. Or of course to discontinue the posting of nude material as many people would seem to prefer. Although my favorite images are that of the human figures (clothed or otherwise) I value the posting / feedback process so highly that I would work equally as hard on other themes if necessary. I am interested generally what people might be thinking about this issue so I am posting the thought here and I am also interested if any moderators would like to express their opinions on these topics it would be greatly appreciated. I would direct you to my offending images but being the thin skinned sort that I am, I deleted them immediately upon receiving the concerned messages. I am hypothesizing that a part of the negative reaction to pin-up style nudity is the posting of such material to the Vue gallery where it is less common than in the Poser gallery. Although there has been an increase in the number of Poser figures being rendered in Vue, there may less interest in human figures as the subject of a work among those who frequent the Vue gallery. All of the above is purely hypothetical, entirely opinion and as such is subject to change when a better idea or way of thinking comes along. Thank you for your thoughts.

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:27 AM · edited Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:28 AM

I only check the nudity flag if it's the case. I never use the word "nudity" in the tittle and in case that I do it is very probable that the image hasn't any nudity at all, only I am playing with the words of the tittle.

Message edited on: 04/28/2005 09:28

Stupidity also evolves!

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:29 AM · edited Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:31 AM

The main reason for the actual "Nudity Flag" that you can set when you upload the image is so people who choose the option in their profiles not to see nudity do not see the images with nudity in the galleries. Simply placing "Nudity" in the title of your piece does not set the flag, you, the uploader of the image, have to set the flag in order for the filter to work.
I hope that gives some idea of the reason behind the filter, and probably the upset emails and IMs.

MorriganShadow
Poser Coord.

edited to add Keep in mind that we have a fair bit of members who are under 18, and either they, the system, or their parents set their profile so they cannot see nudity in the galleries. Cheers!

Message edited on: 04/28/2005 09:31

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:45 AM

It seems, based on my recent experience with some messages sent to me, that many people who do not wish to see nudity in the galleries do not understand that there is a setting they can access to prevent this. They therefore click a thumbnail that has the nudity flag correctly set and are offended when they see nudity. Because some posters (myself included) use the word Nudity in the thumbnail or title, many people think that is the result of the poster setting the nudity flag when it is not. It is as if the ultra conscientious among us (those that give the word in the title or thumbnail) are setting up a false sense of security for those that do not understand the process completely. Perhaps the language could be added to what the viewer sees either on the title or thumbnail automatically when a poster checks the nudity flag eliminating the ambiguity. I am sure that many people have spent many hours thinking about how to handle all of this and I think the system they have come up with is a very good one so perhaps there are just always going to be some who do not yet understand regardless of what well planned out systems the designers are able to put in place.

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:00 AM

Yes, but just putting "Nudity" in the title of the image does not automatically set the nudity flag. You, the uploader of the image, must set it manually when uploading the image. When you have flagged the image as having nudity, the word "Nudity" appears in italics under your thumbnail, so they have fair warning if they do not have the setting in their profile set to not see nudity. If you receive any derogatory IM's, feel free to contact that gallery's Mod or Coordinator, or send an email to admin@renderosity.com if you continue having problems after having contacted that gallery's staff. Cheers MorriganShadow Poser Coord.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:55 AM

Hi tlaloc321, sorry all this has happened to you. I suspect that what you wrote in your first post near the end is probably the likely explanation as to why some people's feathers got a bit ruffled...nudity in the Vue gallery is less common than in the Poser gallery. But if you've set the nudity flag when you posted you artwork, I think you're fine and just forget what other people say. I would never delete an image from my gallery just because someone didn't care for it. If you've taken the additional steps and warned of nudity in the text of your title AND omitted any nudity in the thumbnail (neither of which are necessary)...well anyone who complains are just being TOTALLY unreasonable. IMHO. best of luck to you in the future!! * * * * * * * MorriganShadow wrote... "When you have flagged the image as having nudity, the word "Nudity" appears in italics under your thumbnail, so they have fair warning if they do not have the setting in their profile set to not see nudity." Hi MorriganShadow...gosh, I don't think that happens in the galleries...I think in the forums, the nudity warning gets displayed automatically. At least I've never seen it in the galleries. Violence flag, yes...in RED. ??

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:59 AM

If you check the nudity flag there is no word "Nudity" in italics under the thumbnail!, in 3dCommune yes it is.

Stupidity also evolves!

Argon18 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:01 AM

The main trouble seems to be that the nudity flag only works if you also have the corresponding setting in your profile. That's what I can't understand, if you have the no nudity set in your profile, then you won't see the thumbnail at all so why would you also put "nudity" in the title? That seems pretty redundant to me The ppl that seem to complain the most about nudity in the galleries also either don't seem to know that they have to use that setting in their profiles or even worse they don't want anyone to be able to see it.

Click to get a printed and bound copy plus T-shirts, mugs and hats

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:07 AM

Argon18 wrote: "The ppl that seem to complain the most about nudity in the galleries also either don't seem to know that they have to use that setting in their profiles or even worse they don't want anyone to be able to see it." Exactly right, Argon18! Sadly, I think, more and more it's becoming the last part: they don't want anyone to be able to see it!

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:17 AM

Yep, you guys are right! Sorry about the confusion!! I just checked to make sure, lol...but, if the member has "no nudity" checked in their profile, they won't be able to see the thumbnail anyway. ;) MS

Argon18 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:38 AM

Attached Link: For more about the ongoing battle

It does seem that putting "nudity" in the title serves the opposite purpose to advertise that the image has some to get more viewings because of it. But I still haven't figured out why they put "artistic nudity," or "mild nudity" or any of the other variations in the title, it doesn't seem to serve the purpose they intend for it if the nudity flag is being used correctly. ***Sadly, I think, more and more it's becoming the last part: they don't want anyone to be able to see it!*** Unfortunately true, and it certainly fits the definition of a prude when those try to force their opinions of what offends them onto other ppl. I have chronicled The Battle of the Nudes and the Prudes, but it's a neverending struggle.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:53 AM

Although there has been an increase in the number of Poser figures being rendered in Vue, there may less interest in human figures as the subject of a work among those who frequent the Vue gallery. Well there ya go..Vue is a landscape rendering software, most ppl who post in the Vue Gallery are going to be more interested in landscapes, and 'not' pinup..{some use human or other objects, but not as a main focus} most ppl who use the Poser Gallery are less interested in landscapes {altho they use them in their work, but mainly as backdrops}and more interested in the human figure. Im wondering why you chose to post pin-up in the Vue Gallery, as you must have known what would happen..Im no prude, but if I went to the Vue Gallery to look at some of the beautiful landscape images there, I would be offended at a pinup blazing across my screen as well...If I wanted pinup, Id go to the Poser Gallery.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

fetter ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:59 AM

I worry about people who are so concerned with the unclothed human body. Most of us - with the possible exception of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, who were born fully clothed - came into the world naked, and we're still that way under our garments. There is no shame in the nude human body! (What that body may be doing while bare is certainly subject to contention.) So, set the flag to avoid exposing prudes to nudes, and use the word in the title, and use silly little black bars in the thumbnail. Avoid offense at all costs. Fetter

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 12:35 PM

The problem occured Fetter, not in the Poser Gallery, {where most of the nudity is} but in the Vue Gallery {where its not} As I said, most ppl who visit the Vue Gallery, are not there to view pinup style art. People who prefer not to view nudity are not any stranger than people who do.

~Jani

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 12:41 PM

Well, hasn't there been a rather long-running debate about just "what" gallery to post hybrid images in? In this case, Vue gallery or Poser gallery? If you set up a scene entirely in Poser but take it to Vue for rendering, where do you post it? I think I'd say the Poser gallery. But no sooner than those words left my mouth, there'd be somebody else who felt that the Poser gallery should have only "pure" Poser images. Well, that's fine, but does it really matter one way or the other?? But take a scene that has some Poser figures in it but alot of effort was spent on creating a Vue landscape with all the lush vegetation, awesome lighting, etc, etc you can only do in Vue. Where does that go? Sure it's got Poser figures in it (perhaps nude, perhaps not), but I think maybe Vue is the best gallery choice this time. Again, some "Vue purists" might think otherwise. Well, that's fine, too. I'm not being critical of anyone at all. There's no obvious answer, IMHO, but it seems like tlaloc321 does what he/she can to let people know what his/her art is all about. When I look at tlaloc321's thumbnail images, I sure wouldn't be shocked that there are Poser figures (nude or otherwise) inside the larger Vue scene. just a few more thoughts from me! LOL bye, Jen

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 12:48 PM

And why Vue, Bryce, C4d cannot be used for people? Poser is good for posing and Vue is good for scenes and rendering. Can have some work to do it, but is a very good combination Poser and Vue, if some people don't want to see nudes they only need to setup the no nudity option in their profile and they won't see anymore those shocking images.

Stupidity also evolves!

Argon18 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 12:49 PM

As I said, most ppl who visit the Vue Gallery, are not there to view pinup style art. But the point is that the nudity flag works in all the galleries, if the ppl that don't want to see pinups in the Vue Gallery have that set in their profile then they won't. The beauty of the system if it is used correctly is that it can be a personal choice and doesn't need to be applied to the whole gallery

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 1:22 PM

But the point is that the nudity flag works in all the galleries This is very true, and Im not knocking anyone who chooses to incorporate Poser with Vue and post it in the Vue Gallery with nudity or otherwise..but from his post it seems he may have posted his pinup genere in a gallery that 'usually' doesnt contain such images. From the posts also, it seems there is a question of if he checked that box....~shrugs~ Im not certain if he was focusing on the Vue properties or the Poser model, but all I can gather from his post is that it was more focused on the Poser model..and as such it would be more probable to post it in the Poser gallery. ** And why Vue, Bryce, C4d cannot be used for people? Poser is good for posing and Vue is good for scenes and rendering. Can have some work to do it, but is a very good combination Poser and Vue, if some people don't want to see nudes they only need to setup the no nudity option in their profile and they won't see anymore those shocking images.** OMG, Im agreeing with Kaweki ~LOL~ ;) Let me say this, I have no mercy for anyone who goes into 'any' gallery here, with nudity filter engaged, who purposely clicks 'just to see' then cries foul when nudity is seen. But if that nudity filter is running, and an artist posts a nudity containing image 'anywhere' without ticking that checkbox, then I have no mercy for that artist either..its unfair for all concerned, and they all deserve the hell they get.

~Jani

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 1:53 PM

If they want maximum exposure, they'll get alot more hits if they post NVITWS pix in the Poser gallery. Dumping them in some other gallery might give them more retention time on the front page, but the Poser gallery is probably where most people go to check out the nudie pix. They may actually go to the Vue (or other) gallery to avoid wading through all the nude vickies or fairies. However, I agree with the above. If they are complaining about nudie pix, maybe the admins should make sure they have their nudity filters checked before laying any smack down on the artist.

pearce ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 3:06 PM

"If they are complaining about nudie pix, maybe the admins should make sure they have their nudity filters checked before laying any smack down on the artist."

Quite so. Maybe the N-flag's existence should be more prominently drawn to new subscribers' attention at the get-go.

No chance of an "only nudity" flag, I suppose? :D

Mick.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 4:26 PM

WOW I just got home and checked the thread I started this morning and I am really appreciating all the ideas and comments, thank you to all who have done so. I did not realize that the red Nudity sign comes on (should have, I go to the site every day) and that is just perfect so people who do not have the no nudity box checked can at least know better what they are clicking on. And I appreciate the comments about hybrid renders and where they should go. Some of my renders will soon start in Poser go to Vue then to PSP8 then to Painter then back to PSP8 before they are finished. We have to choose where to post them based on various criteria that are probably different for each image. Thank you again for all your thoughts and ideas. As soon as my 16 hour Vue render is done, I will carefully post it in a carefully selected gallery. :)

Bobasaur ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 4:35 PM

"I appreciate the comments about hybrid renders and where they should go." You should hear some of the places I've been told to stick my renders! ;-)

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

pearce ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 5:57 PM

Hoho :D

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 6:38 PM

tlaloc321 wrote: "I did not realize that the red Nudity sign comes on (should have, I go to the site every day)" hmmm...I think there is still some confusion...there are NO nudity warnings in the galleries unless you include "nudity" in your title...you should still check the "nudity" box when you're uploading your image, but doing so or failing to do so will never cause a "Nudity" tag in the gallery. Only VIOLENCE tags are generated in the gallery and those are in red!

pearce ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:11 PM

All of this is hugely amusing out here in the real world, and we gaze in wonder at why the world's most powerful nation is so scared of skin. Do carry on, it's hilarious :D m.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:00 PM

OHHHHH got it thanks cliff - dweller I thought I had never seen such tags. Makes sense really, thanks again. My 12 hour render is at last complete and no nudity!!! exept for hair, feet and hands.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:18 PM

I think with the newer technology of VUE being able to import .pz3 files(complete with all of the animation information as well) It becomes more and more likely that the Vue gallery will contain nude works. My reply to the nasty-gams would be "I'm sorry, you may or may not know that you can enable a nudity filter in your member options. If you enable that option,the nudes images will be hidden from your "Vue" in all galleries". 8 )~ I mean how far does an artist have to go to prevent those who don't want to view nudes to be protected from seeing them. Perhaps a big fat. "DO YOU WANT TO VIEW NUDE IMAGES? YES__ NO__ "page should be added to the sign up form. Make it the only thing on the page and make it you can not proceed until you check one or the other. Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Argon18 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:28 PM

I mean how far does an artist have to go to prevent those who don't want to view nudes to be protected from seeing them. Apparently too far since those who are most vehement about not encountering nudity are the most likely to want to force others get rid of it also. I saw a news story on Dateline NBC this week that some companies called Clean Films and Family Flix are going so far as to edit DVD's to take out what they don't like and market them again. Nevermind that they don't own the rights to alter the movies, they think it's deserved

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:11 PM

This basically goes for everyone. If you're being attacked via IM by anyone for any reason, let us know. It's one of the many reasons we're here. It's as simple as a quick scroll up to the top of the gallery or forum to see who's a mod/coordinator of that forum. DISCLAIMER: Please use your judgement when contacting staff. If it's an actual critique of your work, explaining what would work artistically with the piece, they are more than likely not bashing you. however, if you get comments/IM's that are clearly violations of the TOS, let us know. Like I said, that's one of the many reasons we're here. MorriganShadow Renderosity Staff.

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:25 AM

Just FYI: When a new member signs up, their profile is automatically defaulted to "Do not show nudity." They have to actually enable their profile to see nudity. Karen Poser Mod

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 2:01 AM

Goes to show you how long I've been here...lol (since before it was Renderosity,... I remember the contest that was held to actually name this site) It's been what?...6 or 7 years now? I never had a clone account so the sign up must be different from when I first signed up here. How long has "Do not show nudity." been the default? Doesn't this raise a question that,perhaps depending on when a member signed up,depends on whether that choice was made for them or not. The fact that "Do not show nudity" IS the default means the those who complained may very well have "Intentionally" enabled the option to view nude images. That makes the nasty letters to tlaloc321 even less justified. "I'm going to enable nude images but I'd better not see any because I'll get my feelings hurt and complain". Some peoples kids.... I swear rolls eyes Tom

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 12:25 PM

Doesn't this raise a question that,perhaps depending on when a member signed up,depends on whether that choice was made for them or not. It has to be set at 'something' right? And in RR's case, better to err on the side of caution and set default to 'no nudity' It has nothing to do with anyones 'rights' to view nudity or not...at least that option is there..compared to many sites that absolutely allow no nudity whatsoever.

~Jani

Natolii ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 6:28 PM

I err'd on the side of caution and flagged it using the filter and put the word in the Title (a cya move). This is because there are fools that will purposely go looking for violations to bag people with. I do some nude and explict work, with the latter either being posted to my private site and/or R'otica. I purposely did an NVIATWAS on a dare more than looking for hits. It's an inside joke between 3 friends. But with the scene I wanted to do, I wanted to give off the feeling of being at ease without the clothing but at the same time not coming off as wanton. ("The Dark Maiden" in my gallery) The problem is, IMHO, too many people feel that their viewpoint is the only correct one and thus we see the problems here.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 8:42 PM

"It has nothing to do with anyones 'rights' to view nudity or not..." Yeah but it does have to do with their "right" to complain about seeing it if they "Do" intentionally enable it. Tom

Argon18 ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 9:07 PM

The problem is, IMHO, too many people feel that their viewpoint is the only correct one and thus we see the problems here. Yeah but it does have to do with their "right" to complain about seeing it if they "Do" intentionally enable it. Is the prob that they feel guilty about enabling nudity and they want others to stop posting it because they can't stop viewing it? Or the more common prob that they just want to stop everyone from viewing to save them? Whichever it is, it's that trying to force 1 "correct" point of view is inherently self defeating since not everyone shares the same frame of reference

kawecki ( ) posted Sat, 30 April 2005 at 12:45 AM

How is possible that other person can view the same thing that I want to view and am not allowed to do it! The sh*t must be for all and not only for me!

Stupidity also evolves!

LornaW ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 9:17 PM

Since this discussion is basically over, may I add a tiny tid bit? Can we have a non violence flag too? I never could understand why people will fight tooth and nail against something as beautiful as the naked body and yet they have no problem with 'fighting tooth and nail.' Silly how even some of my friends allow their children to watch horror movies and the most violent shows but as soon as a pair of boobs hits the screen all hell breaks loose. Vampire movies are okay, as long as they are just sucking blood and dismembering folks, but some vampirella queeny drops her drape and those kids get banned from watching it further! What wonderful priorities. So hey, can we have an anime/provocative schoolgirl showing off her cute undies filter too? Just saw one of those on a banner ad and it was a lot sleazier than any nude I've seen in some time..but hey, she's wearing clothes so I guess that's okay..

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 9:29 PM

You have so hit the nail on the head with your addition to my little thread here. I feel exactly the same way. If I could add a bit as well I would like to bring anyone who is reading thiss attention to films of the last 20 years, at least feature films made in the US. I remember the good old 80s when I came of age watching in awe the R rated material that was produced back then. You could so count on the average R rated action thriller to have a musically scored, slow camera panning, crossfade transitioned, low light, sex scene between the 2 principals with female breasts clearly shown. The violence was basically a lot of guns being fired that rarely seems to hit anything or draw blood (oh and if real guns jammed as much as the ones on the movies, the Army etc. would resort to throwing stones instead). Now adays, the average R rated action movie has NO and I repeat NO sex or nudity at all (well hardly any) and thousands of frames of the most horrific and explicit violence that modern special effects can produce. It is an interesting shift over the last 20 years. I know there is a lot of sex and violence in movies today but I am thinking of the main stream action flicks that attract so many viewers like the first Terminator vs. the third illustrates this point perfectly. I am not trying to be critical just observing the trends, thanks for everyone who has volunteered their thoughts.

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 1:22 AM

Hi Lorna, We do have a violence tag. And images tagged this way actually show the "Violence" warning under the thumb. Regards, Karen Poser Mod

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 2:11 AM

May I ask why the nudity flag doesn't put a visible "Nudity" warning under the thumbnail? Is there a reason for that? Just curious. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

LornaW ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 5:44 AM

Thanks for replying Karen. I didnt know that till now, glad to see that.

Argon18 ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 7:07 AM

May I ask why the nudity flag doesn't put a visible "Nudity" warning under the thumbnail? Is there a reason for that? Just curious. Isn't it because if you have the no nudity set in you profile you won't even see the thumbnail, so why would you need a visible nudity warning for an invisible thumbnail?

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 6:55 PM

Yes, I understand the mechanics, but the Violence filter apparently removes images flagged as violent, but it still puts a notice under the thumbnail. I'm just curious why they don't do the same with nudity. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.