Mon, Sep 9, 6:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: For fun..trying to build a community timeline

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:26 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 7:09 AM

hi there, I thought this might be fun. Maybe not. lol. Anyway.... I need dates things like... Dates of release for Poser software/Poser/utilities/authors etc Date of release of all figures Dates of store/forum/site opening/closing Dates of site sale/transference Dates of 1st time things like Fisrt dragon,first anime figure, first brokered item, first photoreal texture, etc Names and release dates of various Poserbooks/authors etc anything else you can think of. So if anyone is bored uload all those factoids in your brain.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Bobasaur ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=769814

P5 big teaser thread - California Dreaming - 392 posts 7/2/02 (This may not be an "official" date for anything but dang, the community's emotional intensity has never been so high!)

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:56 PM

I think Willow started the poserforum in'97.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:52 PM

First photoreal texture .. wasn't it either by Catherina Harders (then Przezak) or Syyd? Before that, I think most went for hand-painted. Might be wrong though.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:02 PM · edited Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:03 PM

I was able to find the following info on books ...

The Poser 3 Handbook (R. Shamms Mortier); Charles River Media (December 1998)

The Poser 4 Handbook (R. Shamms Mortier); Charles River Media (January 2000)

Poser Pro Pack F/X and Design (Richard Schrand); Paraglyph Press (July 2002)

The Poser 5 Handbook (R. Shamms Mortier); Charles River Media (December 2002)

Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5 (B. L. Render); Focal Press, August 2003

Poser 6 Revealed: The Official Guide (Kelly L. Murdock); Muska & Lipman, April 2005

Creating and Animating Scenes in Poser (Anthony Hernandez); New Riders Press, scheduled for June 24 2005

And one that doesn't show up yet, but I must mention (ahem):

Practical Poser 6 (Denise Tyler); Charles River Media (not yet scheduled estimate late summer/early fall)

Message edited on: 04/28/2005 22:03

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:37 PM

Deecey, what about HappyWorldLand Textures? Was he first? When did Rendo become rendo? ANyone rememeber? Also when did Zygote start selling poser content? When did Daz open? lol hehe. Vicki3 was April 2002? I don't have much installed these days to check creation dates.

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:40 PM

I'm looking for old readme's. Trying to figure out when UVmapper came out.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:42 PM

Oooh, yeah you're right, Tim Laubach and HappyWorldLand! He's still around somewhere I think. I'll see if I can scope him out. Also let me look on some of my backup CDs. I do have Zygote stuff going back to Michael and Victoria 1, and will check the dates on those files. If I'm recalling correctly, Michael came first, then Victoria? I joined Rendo around April of 2000, and the URL was STILL PoserForum.com (or something like that). It wasn't long after that that the "official" URL became Renderosity.com ... for a time I think you could log in under both. So that might give you a timeframe there. I also seem to recall that DAZ became DAZ right about the time Victoria 2 was released. Again, I'll look through old backups to see if I can figure that out.

Artalgo ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:26 PM

About 12/11/98 Zygote begins their weekly Poser freebies with a Santa figure.
Around 2/22/99 Zygote has their first downloadable Poser figure for sale, a mermaid. Before that I believe they only had Poser figures and props available on CD.
(The above dates are based upon the dates I downloaded the above figures, but I believe they're pretty close to the correct dates.)

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:27 PM

OK, I'm taking the easy way out here. I have a program that has cataloged the hundreds of backups that I've made in the last 7 (count 'em!) 7 years. And here is what I find ... The earliest date that I have that the name DAZ shows up (searching for any folder or file name) is January 11, 2001. It looks like before that, orders I placed may have come from Zygote because any references I have to order numbers start with a Z. So maybe around the beginning of 2001 for the Zygote-DAZ split? My first purchase with Zygote was in July 2000, and I've spent a fortune since then! So the split was definitely sometime between July 2000 and January 2001. That narrows it down somewhat. Now, for characters: The earliest dates I have for the various CR2's are as follows: Michael 1 - 9/9/2000 Michael 2 - 12/20/2001 Michael 3 - Sept/Oct 2003 Victoria 1 - I purchased her long after release, in July 2000 so I can't give you an accurate date there Victoria 2 - 5/10/2001 for cr2 Victoria 3 - 12/20/2002 for exe Stephanie - 3/12/2002 for cr2 Stephanie Petite - around Christmas 2003 if I recall Millenium baby - 2/21/2002 for the exe Millenium boys - earliest date I show is 11/19/2001 Millenium girls - earliest date I show is 10/27/2001 Those are for starters! LOL

cooler ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:30 PM · edited Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:34 PM

This is from the December 22, 2000 Zygote newsletter...

".....The big news. Zygote has created a new company "DAZ Productions" that is 100% focused on developing Poser-related products. DAZ is made up of the same people that have been in the Poser-development division of Zygote for the past 3 years. You can expect the same quality and service as well as an increased selection of products."

and as an FYI for Deecey Vicki 2 was released on 5/11/01

This is from the DAZ newsletter...

"Victoria 2.0 is definitely our most challenging and time consuming product to date. She contains over 100 new morph targets to change face shape and expressions, and includes several options for tweaking physique, age, weight, height, ethnicity and more! This is a real steal. Get her while shes HOT!"

Message edited on: 04/28/2005 23:34

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:36 PM

Earliest I show for UV Mapper (classic) is version 025a, which I downloaded in Oct 2000.

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:39 PM

hehe. Thanks Cooler! Mil cat July 21, 2003 or around then. When did Michael Lane do first Globals? Was with his Dragon Hatchling

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:40 PM

Don't forget the 3-Axis Poser videos.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:45 PM

and as an FYI for Deecey Vicki 2 was released on 5/11/01 Thanks, cooler! The earliest EXE file I had was dated 10/27/2001, which was in conflict with the CR2 date. There was a time there that I lost a whole bunch of files because of a hard drive crash, so I had to have a order CD burned. A lot of my exe files have a date of 10/27, which is why I picked the CR2 dates in some cases.

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:45 PM

Who did all those animal kingfom freebies. Remember? When was that?

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:47 PM

Hatchling dragon cr2 is dated 9/20/2001

cooler ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:48 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=36662

and here's the official Renderosity name announcement...

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:51 PM

Animal kingdom freebies? (blink) Hmmm ... I purchased them all on a CD. ROFL I am a gold mine of info, huh? It looks like it's at 3D Cafe now ... but it doesn't list the original name. Let me dig it out.

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:53 PM

1999 huh? That seems so long ago. Where is Bloodsong?

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:54 PM

Attached Link: http://www.dedicateddigital.com/main/index.htm

OK, it was Dedicated Digital that released the Animal Kingdom CD.

cooler ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:54 PM

and the animal kingdom stuff was from Bill Capozzi at dedicateddigital.com. They were released as a series of weekly freebies in 1999 & 2000. The ones I remember off the top of my head are... Stonehenge Locomotive Orangutan German Shepherd Moon Polar Bear Cub Ladybug & Leaf Ogre/Giant Bengal Tiger

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:55 PM

Deccey they used to do periodic freebies. a Chihuahua comes to mind

cooler ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:56 PM

Anton, bloodsong just posted up to a thread in the Community Forum in the last couple of dys

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 12:09 AM

Looks like I found my way into the Poser community 2 years too late. 8-) There are a wealth of animals on this Animal Kingdom CD. By today's standards they are pretty primitive, but for distant scenes and such they will still be great. It would be awesome if these animals could be upgraded at some time. Take a look at the list of all of the animals: AQUATIC: Blue whale, dolphin, goldfish, hammerhead shark, humpback whale, large mouth bass, manatee adult, manatee baby, octopus, orca, rainbow trout, salmon, stingray, tiger shark, tuna AVIAN: Bluejay, cardinal female, cardinal male, chickadee, condor, crane, crow, dove, duck, bald eagle 1, bald eagle 2, golden eagle, falcon 1, falcon 2, canadian goose, sea gull, hummingbird, mallard, ostrich, owl, parakeet, penguin, swan DINOSAUR: Allosaurus, ankylosaurus, barosaurus, deinonychus, diplodocus, gallimimus, wooly mammoth, pachycephalosaurus, parasaurolophus, pteranodon, sabretooth tiger, stegosaurus, styracosaurus, tyrannosaurus rex, tricerotops (and please don't ask me to type those out again! ROFL) INSECT: black ant, red ant, bumble bee, black widow spider, cellar spider, dragonfly, house fly, inchworm, ladybug, monarch, roach, scorpion, snail, tarantula MAMMAL: Armadillo, basset hound, black bear, kodiak bear, koala bear, polar bear 1, polar bear 2, panda bear, beaver, bison, bobcat, bulldog, camel, black cat, calico cat, cheetah, chihuahua, chipmunk, coyote, whitetail deer female, whitetail deer fawn, whitetail deer buck, doberman, donkey, african elephant M, F and B, asian elephant, ferret, giraffe, german shephard, hippopotamus, horse, arabian horse, clydesdale horse, quarter horse, husky, hyena, jaguar, kangaroo, leopard, leopard cub, lion cub, lion female, lion male, mastiff, moose female, moose male, field mouse, otter, black panther, pronghorn, rabbit, raccoon, Ram, red fox, rhinoceros 1, rhinoceros 2, fur seal, fur seal baby, sheep, skunk, black squirrel, gray squirrel, bengal tiger, tiger cub, siberian tiger, vampire bat, walrus, wolf and zebra REPTILE: Alligator, chameleon, king cobra, crocodile, frog, gecko, rattle snake, tortoise, baby turtle, box turtle, green turtle, leatherback turtle

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 12:20 AM

Attached Link: http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/lucky/472/happyworldlanduncut/

And ... Whether this is all of them or not I am not sure. But I did find a trace of some of Tim Laubach's Posette textures ... here ya be!

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 12:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=237349

Jaager posted a nice evolutionary list of all the various Poser's Nude Female figures, from P3 NudFem to Millie, in this old thread from 2001: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=237349 (kept the bookmark because of the nice references to my original "BigFace" UV remaped P3 figure) -Nance (the artist formerly known as "floydd")

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 12:48 AM

Reading through this is a real trip down memory lane. Fun thread!

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 12:54 AM

O think I remember that thread. So funny to see it with mordern forum formatting. :)

Mike K ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:05 AM
Online Now!

The readme from the Zygote Animals CD is dated 8/1/98. First Poser add-on product that I purchased, as I recall. That was many $$$$ ago! Mike K P.S. Hey, Anton! Still got your dragon!

tastiger ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:10 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_229538.gif

Why Nance I never realised....

OK hands up any others that have undergone nom de plume changes as the site changed...

While we are at it - who is still here from the days when it was just a forum and gee whiz - everything was free.

My membership date shows as Tuesday, February 16, 1999 but I am sure that at some stage the server was updated and we all had to "rejoin" which changed our join dates around, because I can remember Posin' away with P3 in 1998.

And above - one of the first free Zygote models was the "Bigfoot".

Might take him over to the hair room.....

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:26 AM

Anyone remember the creeper? Okay when was Koz's first transmapped hairdo? We have to have that one in here. I still remember the post. It was a bun right?

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:34 AM

The chignon hair perhaps? The morph hair was an early one too. Ponytail hair looks to have been the first one, perhaps, in April 2000, as all the files are dated around that time. Morph hair came in June. It is sort of a long hair with bangs thing, I still love using that for Egyptian characters. The chignon hair textures in the current zip are dated 4/2/2000, but the Poser files have a November date. Didn't his earlier hair use similar texture methods?

cooler ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:37 AM

tastiger, the only nymswitch trivia I have for you is what I believe is the member with the most clones... ronknights aka poserfool crisjon1950 PeterWahoo rogergordian ragmanjones Bobbie_Boucher AlteredEgo constantine_1234 and Anton here's a couple more dates for your timeline... Sept. 25th, 1999 Willow/Edgenet site split Sept. 16th, 2000 DSI/Edgenet site war split Nov. 4, 1999 1st announcement the Renderosity would have an "e-commerce" section. Dec. 14, 1999 The "Saturday Night Massacre" at Metacreations April 13, 2000 Announcement that Curious Labs is "Posers' New Home"

tastiger ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:38 AM

Koz first transmapped hair appeared not long after the release of Poser 4 - so if we have a date on that should be able to close in on it.

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:42 AM · edited Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:44 AM

Looks like the "master" date for Poser 4 was 6/18/1999. Poser 3 was almost exactly one year earlier, on 6/5/1998. I probably still have Poser 2 and 1 stored in a box somewhere. 8-)

Message edited on: 04/29/2005 01:44

cooler ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:53 AM

The first transmapped hair announced was "Kyoko" by Yamato Nov 4 1999. see http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=37854 The 1st transmapped hair released was by Allerleirauh on Nov. 20, 1999 http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=40400

tastiger ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:56 AM

Hey is there a time warp happening that I don't know about? Have you checked the Free Stuff lately?

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Chris ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 1:58 AM

I think the first Photo Real texture for Poser was made by Paul Hafeli ... not sure :) Greets Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 2:01 AM

It's still at BBay, but doesn't give a date.

Chris ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 2:08 AM

yes ... saw them too :) I remember the first ones were freebies from his site. Was in early Poser 3 times if I remember right. greets Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 3:34 AM

Dates for the DAZ figures can be found at the DAZ website, under the "Company History" section. It gives the release dates for their main human models as follows: Feb 99 - V1 Sep 99 - M1 April 01 - V2 Oct 01 - M2 Feb 02 - Stephanie Dec 02 - V3

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

STORM3 ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 4:42 AM · edited Fri, 29 April 2005 at 4:51 AM

I thought Ian Grey was the first to experiment with transmapped hair around the same time frame as Allerleirauh and Kozaburo?

Message edited on: 04/29/2005 04:51

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 6:26 AM

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

leather-guy ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 2:57 PM

BookMarrrque

LilWolff ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 4:24 PM

Don't forget the Props Guild and Wayne/Cal - that went by another name at the time. Can't remember what it was though. Also Chemical Studios, even though he did a lot of Bryce stuff, there was always some Free 3D models too. That is where I remember getting Anton's free first Dragon too. But I don't remember if that was the very first dragon offered, but I know it was the first one I had. I should still have it on CD also.

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 6:10 PM

WOW - V3 is really old. She has really lasted a long time. Hope she still have some years on her back.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.