Sun, Oct 6, 3:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 1:57 PM

"a better idea would to only post ONCE." Ah yes, good old netiquitte. Not too popular around here, but you are so right. Say it loud, say it again! No, wait, you already said it once. :-) Absolutely spot on, Carolly. If there was a bit more self-moderation here (and yeah, yeah, that goes for me too,) there might be less cynicism and hostility about certain posters who aren't known for consideration regarding bandwith and their fellow members' time. Dean

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 2:13 PM

Tiptoeing back in, I think some of us have the bizarre notion that we "win" if we are the last post, so it becomes "tag, you're it" to get that last post in and get more points (as in more postings) than someone else. Especially if you are trying to get in before a thread gets shut down or moved. Why else would this have gone on for, now, 103 postings? I include myself in that bad habit. When I see my brilliant words ignored, or (more often) misinterpreted and quoted out of context, I tend to want to jump back on the thread and it explain it all over again. Or add additional information no one much cares about. How very tedious of me. But I have lots of company. The truth is the majority of community members don't care. Period. Doesn't matter what the topic is. I need to remember that simple fact before I post instead of realizing it, yet again, after I've wasted yet another chunk of bandwith. Now the constant posters can jump in and tell me how wrong I am and how I misunderstood what they said and yadda yadda yadda, and who am I to have an opinion anyway (yeah, you're right...I shouldn't be so bold as to have an opinion different from yours). I'm going to lunch. Take care all. Maybe I'll take a look and see how this is progressing around Message #200.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 2:15 PM

but are they saying you and Lorna are clones? I guess it would explain alot, but I don't believe it myself.

Who knows?

The "clone" issue sort of went over my head in this context.........

We've also had some other vague accusations made here....without actually naming any names.

It's done that way in order to protect the innocent -- of course.

Vague-hint types of accusations also provide a handy out for the accusers -- if they are called on it, then there's always plausible deniability.

"Hey, who said that I was talking about you.......? Feeling guilty, are you? You must be guilty."

Or so I suspect that the reasoning goes.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 2:33 PM

Ah yes, good old netiquitte. Not too popular around here

Oh?

And do you have any suggestions as to a site where it is "popular" to post only once on a topic?

Offhand, I can't think of any. At least not in Poserdom.

about certain posters who aren't known for consideration regarding bandwith and their fellow members' time

Odd that we are told to allow completely unfettered "free speech".

And then we are told to not talk so much.

I just love logically consistent thinking.

As for a thread having too many posts -- the admins can always lock it.

That way, the posts will all come to a complete stop.

And then everyone should be happy.

No doubt.

As for other member's time -- they are welcome to choose not to participate.

No one is forcing them to read things that they don't like: or that they don't want to hear.

Their time is their own, to be used as they decide. If their time has been "wasted" on threads like this one -- then that's their own doing. They have no one to blame but themselves for wasting it in reading the useless posts of others.

The bandwidth which is consumed by a forum thread is quite small.

Especially when compared with the galleries, etc.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 2:42 PM · edited Wed, 04 May 2005 at 2:44 PM

I'm going to lunch. Take care all. Maybe I'll take a look and see how this is progressing around Message #200.

That's nothin'.

Have you checked out the "Nudity does not equal Art" thread in the Poser forum.......?

Those people post too much, let me tell you.

Somebody should go over there and teach those people proper netiquitte.

Tell them that they are only allowed to post once on a given subject. BTW - many controversial threads go well over 300 posts. And the same individuals post in them repeatedly. Rude time-wasters of other people's bandwidth that they are. Message edited on: 05/04/2005 14:44

LornaW ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 5:02 PM

..nnnng!!...nnnnnng!!....nnnnnnnnnnng!!!!

Lemurtek ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 6:32 PM

file_231859.jpg

>Xenophonz Typed thusly: >In that case, I don't expect that we'll be hearing from you >again. Nobody expects they'll be hearing from me again! (with apologies to Monty Python) Wait, oh no, is that the ... cone of silence?!? Regards- Lemurtek, still looking for that missing irony

Berkley ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 6:53 PM

I believe this is what they are referring to about the obvious clone accounts

1. Re: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe by XENOPHONX on 5/3/05 21:39

2. Re: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe by XENOPHONZ on 5/3/05 21:40

XENOPHONX and XENOPHONZ

BDC ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 7:08 PM · edited Wed, 04 May 2005 at 7:11 PM
  1. Re: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe by Berkley on 5/4/05 18:53

I believe this is what they are referring to about the obvious clone accounts

1. Re: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe by XENOPHONX on 5/3/05 21:39

2. Re: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe by XENOPHONZ on 5/3/05 21:40

XENOPHONX and XENOPHONZ

Now that it is mentioned I too would like to know how exactly one does that. Aren't clone accounts banned? Forgive my obtusness but I WAS under the impression that technically per the TOS ya can only have one account here.
If thats the case why and how can there be a

XENOPHONX AND A XENOPHONZ? After all I am sure you don't want someone posting and trying to lead people to think its you xenophonz when its not really you.

Message edited on: 05/04/2005 19:11

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 8:00 PM

Hi BDC, There are some members here that have two accounts for various reasons. We don't encourage members to have for than one account also for various reasons. The time when a clone account is banned is if its a clone of a permanently banned member and they try and register under a different username and get back in to the site to cause trouble. Hope this helps clear up the "clone" issue. Thanks Stacey Community Manager

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 10:43 PM

*Wait, oh no, is that the ... cone of silence?!?

Regards-
Lemurtek, still looking for that missing irony*

BTW -- the "Cone of Silence" was a device used on the 60's comedy TV series starring Don Adams: Get Smart.

You can stop looking for the irony, Lemurtek........we've found it.

XENOPHONX AND A XENOPHONZ?

I can understand the quest for a chink in the armor somewhere -- anywhere.

But a joke is a joke. And an obvious one.

BTW - the "clone issue" was brought up prior to the infamous XENOPHONZ/XENOPHONX scandal.

XENOPHONZ/XENOPHONX was a joking reply to the idea of a "clone" in the woodpile.

However, I fully realize that it requires a sense of humor in order to grasp the fun. And not to see something nefarious lurking behind every tree.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 10:52 PM · edited Wed, 04 May 2005 at 10:53 PM

Another BTW -- just a bit of helpful info:

The XENOPHONX account was registered at about the same time as the XENOPHONZ account. So it wasn't a recent innovation.

XENOPHONX hasn't logged on here since. Until today.

I believe that this was the first-ever post by XENOPHONX.

He's a lot like XENOPHONZ.

I know him well.

Message edited on: 05/04/2005 22:53

Lemurtek ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 10:59 PM

BTW -- the "Cone of Silence" was a device used on the 60's comedy TV series starring Don Adams: Get Smart. Yes, and the gag was, it worked so well, no-one could hear the people talking in the cone of silence,not even the people IN the cone of silence, hence the relevence. :) Well, at least we found the irony, I was afraid I'd have to go looking for it in that Alanis Morissette song. Regards- Lemurtek

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 11:17 PM

Yes, and the gag was, it worked so well, no-one could hear the people talking in the cone of silence,not even the people IN the cone of silence, hence the relevence. :)

Yes, that's true.

And I can hear your silence. Right here in the forum.

Well, at least we found the irony, I was afraid I'd have to go looking for it

Nope.....no need. It's just there -- in front of us.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 1:21 AM

"OMG! That's perfect!!!!! VOTE*" Carolly (Isn't irony a precurser to flattery?)

Lemurtek ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 2:33 AM

Well, my mother used an irony to flattery the wrinklery out of our clothes... Regards- Lemurtek

Berkley ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 3:20 AM

Ok for the people that still can't keep up... I posted my previous post about the clone comment because of this post: 101. Re: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe by mateo_sancarlos on 5/4/05 13:06 Xeno, I may have missed some fine nuances from the forum mavens here, but are they saying you and Lorna are clones? I guess it would explain alot, but I don't believe it myself. Then XENO went on to post this 104. Re: Once again, SndCastie swings her indiscriminate morality axe by XENOPHONZ on 5/4/05 14:15 but are they saying you and Lorna are clones? I guess it would explain alot, but I don't believe it myself. Who knows? The "clone" issue sort of went over my head in this context......... We've also had some other vague accusations made here....without actually naming any names. It's done that way in order to protect the innocent -- of course. Vague-hint types of accusations also provide a handy out for the accusers -- if they are called on it, then there's always plausible deniability. "Hey, who said that I was talking about you.......? Feeling guilty, are you? You must be guilty." Or so I suspect that the reasoning goes. which made it sound like he didn't know what they were talking about or that it was a vague accusation when it clearly was not since he posted 2 posts in a row under 2 different, yet very similar names. Due to the nature of his name (all caps) it's easy to miss something small like one letter difference..or if you are like me, it's easy to miss cause you tend to scroll past his posts as fast as you can since there is STILL no ignore feature at R'osity.

LornaW ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 4:06 AM

...nnnnnng!....nnnnnNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!!

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 5:11 AM

there is STILL no ignore feature at R'osity Having that one feature (which people have been asking for for years now) would almost certainly cut down on the number of arguments. It wouldn't eliminate them entirely, but I definitely think it would limit them at least somewaht. Might cut down on the need for mods to rush in and lock threads and slap people on the wrists. Unless, of course, the mods actually LIKE rushing in and locking things down and slapping people on the wrists... bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Berkley ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 6:13 AM

I agree Bonnie, particularly where there is not a good quote function on this board either.

Since people don't tend to quote entire posts and also don't have the name of who they are quoting automatically put in the reply people wouldn't see so much of what people they might have on ignore are saying and not be so tempted to respond ;)

Another feature which would be nice is the ability to hide your online status. It might cut down some on clone accounts as well (it would have in my case at least).

Every other board I visit has that feature so I can just use my real account and not have my time there watched by my friendly internet stalker. Here I had to make a clone account because that feature doesn't exist and I got tired of being contacted via pm/email with details about when I was viewing R'osity etc.

Not that it's anyone's business really why I have a clone account, just nipping that "you don't have a gallery, you have only been a member xxx days so you can't possibly have a valid point thing" in the bud. I'm not hiding so no one knows my true opinions. I just don't wish certain people to know when I am actively on a site.

mon1alpha ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 7:27 AM · edited Thu, 05 May 2005 at 7:28 AM

For the love of-insert deity of choice here-! It's like listening to kids.
'Somebody said/created/implied/something I don't like so I'm going to hold my breath until they jolly well stop. It's only a suggestion but why not simply stop posting images if you don't like the rules of this site, don't post comments if you can't take criticism and, in general, take a chill pill. This place isn't real, it's virtual...why get bothered about what people that you've never met or are ever likely to meet may think about your lifestyle or artwork. If you're really upset then contact a moderator..I've always found them ok[no, I'm not brown nosing..I fear no one ;)]
Well..my work here is done...
Hi Ho Silver away!!!

Message edited on: 05/05/2005 07:28

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 9:34 AM

123 is one of my favorite numbers. It's also the combination to my luggage.

mon1alpha ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 10:20 AM

I find that last post offensive as I once lost my luggage, which contained a pair of my combinations, at an airport! I shall complain...gggrrrr!

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 10:58 AM

since there is STILL no ignore feature at R'osity Oh, yes there is! It's called: don't read the posts. As they say: ignorance is bliss. And if you can't see it, then it doesn't exist.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:08 AM

which made it sound like he didn't know what they were talking about or that it was a vague accusation when it clearly was not since he posted 2 posts in a row under 2 different, yet very similar names.

Oh, I fully understood the completely spurious clone charge which was brought up by a couple of individuals -- attempting to turn a joke into a crime.

However, from the beginning of this silly clone matter -- XENOPHONZ/XENOPHONX was a response to an earlier vague hint that perhaps someone had cloned themselves: and that said individual might be arguing both sides of the issue.

For who knows what reason.

Then again, perhaps no such "hint" was intended. But if so, then why bring the matter up?

Mateo caught onto it.....but mateo is the sort to notice undercurrents. Quick on the uptake.

That tends to make a difference.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:32 AM

I just don't wish certain people to know when I am actively on a site.

Interesting.

I've heard others say similar things before. About getting nasty PM's and such.

For all of the forumizing that I've done over the years, I've only received one nasty PM -- and that one wasn't on this site.

I don't typically debate via PM. I've had a few friendly discussions that way, but never a fight.

My fights are conducted in the clear. And I don't use silly tricks like clone accounts; sending whiny PM's to mods when I don't like something that someone else has said about me; or attempting to invalidate someone else's opinion by suggesting that they don't have a right to speak.

I.E. -- "You don't have a gallery, so you can't say anything negative about someone else's art." It's a variation on the old leftist "chicken hawk" argument -- "You didn't serve in the military; therefore you aren't allowed to have an opinion about the war".

Such reasoning is equally ridiculous either way.

It's an attempt to attack the individual rather than the issue. In that way, one can avoid having to deal with the matter head-on. Just suggest that they don't have a right to speak for some reason or other -- that way, you won't have to listen to them say things that make you uncomfortable with your own assumptions.

If listening to ideas that challenge your own bothers you -- then take the simple expedient of scrolling past the posts. As has already been suggested.

Once again: ignorance is bliss.

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 1:21 PM

Speaking of the military, that "cone of silence" term didn't originate with Mel Brooks and Buck Henry ("Get Smart"). It was a term used by the U.S.A.A.C. to describe a condition pilots used to navigate in for a landing, based on the cancelling-out of a radio-wave emitter's signal, which radiated in a toroidal shape parallel to the ground plane. And in regard to Swamp's "Ignore post" thread above, if the "ignore" feature worked with this forum software, they would already have implemented it. Maybe the inability to implement the "ignore" function is one reason why OT forums will never work here, because it's impossible to selectively filter out the destructive malcontents.

Berkley ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 6:54 PM · edited Thu, 05 May 2005 at 7:03 PM

*Interesting.

I've heard others say similar things before. About getting nasty PM's and such.

For all of the forumizing that I've done over the years, I've only received one nasty PM -- and that one wasn't on this site.*

I generally do not have a problem with this type of thing either. In my case, it's not someone even involved in the Poser community. It's someone that I thought was a friend for many years. We had a falling out, but of course because we were (what I thought was) close friends for many years, they knew about my using poser, sites I visit etc. Not just regarding poser, but anything I have done over the many years we were friends.

Instead of being an adult about it and just leaving me alone, a consideration I give to them, they decided that it would be "fun" to follow me around and let me know they are "watching" what I am doing online.

I personally wouldn't waste my time doing that to anyone, let alone someone that has made it VERY clear that they want nothing more to do with me, but to each their own. I don't particularly care if they see my posts after I have made them..I'm not hiding in that sense. I just don't like being "watched" when I'm minding my own business reading forums.

If R'osity had a feature to hide online status I would not have had to make a clone account. I don't have one on any other site that I visit because they all have that feature.

Edited to add: I don't have any particular problem with XENOPHONZ. I just find his particular posting style rather annoying and therefore usually skip his posts for that reason.

Edited to add again: Sorry not fully awake here so missed some stuff when I skimmed posts the first time. I wasn't implying that you (XENOPHONZ) would say that about me not having a gallery etc. I can honestly say I never have seen you do that kind of thing and as I said I don't have a problem with you per se..just don't like your posting style. That is an argument that does crop up quite often here though, so I just wanted to nip it in the bud.

Message edited on: 05/05/2005 18:57

Message edited on: 05/05/2005 19:03

Berkley ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 7:08 PM

And in regard to Swamp's "Ignore post" thread above, if the "ignore" feature worked with this forum software, they would already have implemented it. Maybe the inability to implement the "ignore" function is one reason why OT forums will never work here, because it's impossible to selectively filter out the destructive malcontents.

Came here via an ebot so I haven't read that thread yet, but I will when I get to actually reading the forum.

They didn't used to have an EDIT function for many years despite it being asked for for a long time either and now they do so who knows. There is a difference between unable and unwilling to implement something.

I know an ignore feature wouldn't help a lot of people because curosity would get the better of them and they would end up "having" to know what that person was saying. I'm not that way personally. If I want to ignore someone for whatever reason then I have no desire to see what they say..why aggravate myself. I realize that probably isn't the "norm" for many forum readers though ;)

xoconostle ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 7:28 PM

Time and again I find it strange that one can hold up a shoe with no name on it, only to witness people rushing to defensively declare it a perfect fit. ;-) Xenophonz my dear man, if I meant to refer specifically or soley (pun intended) to you, I would have either indicated so explicitly or would have witheld my comment entirely, as it's not exactly fair to single out one person for their behaviors when the subject is more general than that. While, as you're aware, many take issue with your posting habits, I've long been aware that calling attention to them only exacerbates the excesses, so you can trust that I was thinking of self-moderation as a virtue in general, not as a personal slight or as a stealth criticism. Trust me, my only ongoing issue is that people seem to confuse us and misattribute comments to me that were actually made by you, evidently because of the "x" thing, which I try to have fun with. Do what thou wilt. I'm sure thou wilt. :-)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 10:52 PM

as I said I don't have a problem with you per se..just don't like your posting style.

That's a fair enough comment.

.......but I wonder......is it the 'style'.......or is it the conclusions...........? Oh, well..........

A suggestion: if Rendo is able to successfully come up with an "ignore" feature, then feel free to make good use of it.

;)

To coin a phrase: it's no skin off my nose.

BTW -- certain others have indicated that they enjoy reading my posts, so I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming that you hold the majority view.

And in any case, I don't post by taking a poll first. Or by checking first to see who I will please, and who I will upset with the things that I have to say. I am flat-out honest. Brutally so, at times.

The chips fall where they may.

If I was concerned about such matters, then I wouldn't participate in the forums at all.

Should you choose to ignore this -- then be well.

I have no animus against you, either.

Berkley ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:04 PM

.......but I wonder......is it the 'style'.......or is it the conclusions...........?

I don't know how much more clearly I can state that it is the style. I have equal problems with people that post exceedingly long posts with no paragraphs as another example.

I also don't like people that use all caps for no apparent reason (using them for emphasis is different).

It's just a personal thing for the most part and nothing against the poster themselves. Frankly, I don't know whether I agree with you on most things or if I disagree, because generally speaking I don't read your posts because of the style. Obviously, I do read them on occasion or at least skim them.

I happen to be reading them in this particular thread (well skimming them which as you may have figured out is why I ended up editing that post 2 times earlier because I ended up going back and actually reading them) since I am actually conversing with you (such as it is) in this thread.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:12 PM

Time and again I find it strange that one can hold up a shoe with no name on it, only to witness people rushing to defensively declare it a perfect fit. ;-)

Permit me to quote a section of my own post (#104 in this thread):

*We've also had some other vague accusations made here....without actually naming any names.

It's done that way in order to protect the innocent -- of course.

Vague-hint types of accusations also provide a handy out for the accusers -- if they are called on it, then there's always plausible deniability.

"Hey, who said that I was talking about you.......? Feeling guilty, are you? You must be guilty."

Or so I suspect that the reasoning goes.*

So, I suppose that I must be guilty. After all, I deigned to respond to the charge. And that action always proves guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt.

While, as you're aware, many take issue with your posting habits, I've long been aware that calling attention to them only exacerbates the excesses, so you can trust that I was thinking of self-moderation as a virtue in general, not as a personal slight or as a stealth criticism

For individuals that regularly haunt locales like the Chicken Coop to be speaking of "self-moderation as a virtue" strikes me as quite funny.

In addition to which -- this red herring issue of "posting habits" never seems to be brought up when the repeat posters in question are individuals with whom we happen to agree on a topic.

When that's the case, then we cheer them on towards ever-higher efforts.

I see complaints about posting habits as a back-door method of attempting to discredit someone without actually answering the substance of the things that they are saying.

A neat little side-step manuver.

Handy, when one has no real responses on tap.

BTW -- as I indicated in my response to Berkley, I've gotten both positive and negative feedback in regards to my posts.

Which tends to be the norm in most areas of life.

my only ongoing issue is that people seem to confuse us and misattribute comments to me that were actually made by you, evidently because of the "x" thing, which I try to have fun with

People confuse you with me?

Hmmmmmmm.

Well, we've all got our ideas concerning our fellow forumites.

Ideas rattling around........

BTW - how do you handle such flattery?

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:24 PM

I don't know how much more clearly I can state that it is the style.

Very well, then.

As I suggested, and as you yourself have stated -- ignore the posts.

My style is my own. It works.

As I have found time and again.

I have no intentions of changing it.

*I have equal problems with people that post exceedingly long posts with no paragraphs as another example.

I also don't like people that use all caps for no apparent reason (using them for emphasis is different).*

Sorry.....but to me, these types of things are prime examples of 'nitpicking'.

People are what they are. They all have differing levels of elocution; vocabulary; grasp of grammar; and talent at expressing themselves.

Not all of us were English majors.

Personally, I find the differences among posters to be interesting. Different. Adding the variety that spices up a forum.

But I don't waste my time in lecturing others over matters of style.

Emily Post might have laid out the proper way to eat at a formal dinner table.

Emily Post isn't here.

shrug If you don't like the taste, then avoid the recipe. Because the recipe isn't going to change.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:37 PM

While, as you're aware, many take issue with your posting habits

Tell me, xo......did all of the negative feedback (a lot of it extremely negative) offered to Peng over his product review idea cause him to give it up.........?

Besides which, some of the feedback which he received was positive..........

In any case -- if a few words of criticism are enough to scare someone away from the table, then they really shouldn't be playing this game in the first place.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:46 PM

"I have equal problems with people that post exceedingly long posts with no paragraphs as another example" That drives me nuts too...I get a few lines into the post and skim right on by it. Another Style That Drives Me Nuts Is Capitalizing Every Word In The Paragraph...I Cant Help Wondering If The Author Is Thinking "What I Have To Say Is So Important,That I Must Capitalize Every Word" It's difficult to read and I don't always feel like making an extra effort to read a particular style when it is done intentionally as a signature style. Oh Well,...I'm sure there are things about my style that bothers some people also and they just scroll right on by. I know I do it all of the time when I see certain names in a thread. It's just so easy to give the scroll wheel a turn and blow right past it.It seems implementing an ignore feature is like asking the programmer to invest lots of time and bulky code(In an already slow site) just to save me a turn of the wheel. Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:49 PM

Great Post Hawkfyr! I Like Your Style! Others Should Take Lessons From You!

Berkley ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:55 PM · edited Fri, 06 May 2005 at 12:00 AM

*Sorry.....but to me, these types of things are prime examples of 'nitpicking'.

People are what they are. They all have differing levels of elocution; vocabulary; grasp of grammar; and talent at expressing themselves.

Not all of us were English majors.*

Well to me they make my eyes burn and it's exceedingly hard for me to read them and have any kind of comprehension.

I personally don't happen to think one needs to be an English major to realize that it's easier to read things that are put in paragraphs or have some white space between them. Sad commentary on the educational system if you can't even figure out how to hit the enter key once in a while.

I do try to read posts that are made by someone that is obviously not a native English speaker even if they do something that would normally annoy me because they are at least trying to communicate and it's not their fault that English is not their first language and has tons of weird rules that other languages do not.

I have bad eyesight and am prone to migraines, reading print with no whitespace aggravates that. I am not suggesting anyone change their posting style to please me. I simply do not read posts like that and honestly, I don't think I'm really in the minority. Most people just don't feel the need to publicize it.

I don't recall ever mentioning your (or anyone else's) posting style before this thread. Really I could care less what most people do, but if they are posting in a style they know is annoying to people then I think they have to realize that even good points they may have will be lost or overlooked because people aren't reading their posts.

I don't care either way..I'm mainly a lurker unless something particularly strikes me. Even then 7 out of 10 times I don't end up posting anyway.

I'm bowing out of this thread now simply because it's been derailed pretty far at this point and none of the stuff we are discussing was really the intent of any of my posts.

If you wish to continue it however, in this case I would be happy to do so in PM..not because I have any reason to hide..I just imagine we will get nailed for being OT pretty soon here.

As I said I have nothing against you personally and the points you have made (that I have read) I do not find to necessarily be without merit or intelligence.

I happen to believe people can disagree and it's not an earth shaking end of the world kind of thing. I disagree with my friends all the time or they with me and yet we manage to maintain friendships just fine ;)
Edit: stupid typos :( Message edited on: 05/06/2005 00:00

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 11:57 PM

"Great Post Hawkfyr! I Like Your Style! Others Should Take Lessons From You! " Now There Is A Post Where Every Word "Was" Important. 8 )~

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 12:06 AM

I just imagine we will get nailed for being OT pretty soon here.

It's likely.

the points you have made (that I have read) I do not find to necessarily be without merit or intelligence.

Thanks!

I......think........

Back-handed compliments are better than no compliments at all, I suppose.

PS - I'm joking here, Berkley.

;)

I happen to believe people can disagree and it's not an earth shaking end of the world kind of thing. I disagree with my friends all the time or they with me and yet we manage to maintain friendships just fine ;)

Here, we agree 100%.

I wish that everyone followed that line of wisdom. It would make the forums a much easier place to travel.

Be well, my friend. I am sorry to hear about your predilection to migranes.

May they be few and far between for you. Or better yet -- none.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 1:24 AM

I suspect that migraines and creativity go together... when you are lying there in the dark with the brain short-circuiting and flashing, all sorts of thoughts and images get jumbled together. In the old days, when my computer crashed, all the lost chains were thrown into a file, text and jpgs together, and the program would helpfully save it in case something of value could be retrieved. The brain is a bit better than a computer at making associations between random events. A lot of us poets and artists are afflicted with migraines, but we can find some interesting bits among the wreckage. One thing I hate, though... lying there with a brilliant idea and being totally unable to do anything about it. :( Carolly

mon1alpha ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 7:23 AM

'Personally, I find the differences among posters to be interesting. Different. Adding the variety that spices up a forum. But I don't waste my time in lecturing others over matters of style' I like your attitude...I have a tendency to..pause in speaking..for dramatic effect or simple forgetfulness. This comes out in my typing. As for grammatical issues...well most of you are americans and therefore are hopless at spelling and I still manage to understand what's being said :)So some posters don't cross all the Ts and dot all the Is, we can normally understand the gist of the messages.

Lemurtek ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 1:36 PM

I had migraines a lot during my teen years. Luckily, as I grew older, they just sorta faded away. I've haven't had one in years (touch wood) I don't know if that's made me any more or less creative, though. Regards- Lemurtek

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 4:57 PM

"For individuals that regularly haunt locales like the Chicken Coop to be speaking of "self-moderation as a virtue" strikes me as quite funny." I haven't regularly "haunted" the Coop for some time, and the time that I did was about 3 months total. The Coop is a place where netiquitte is not exactly expected, as is made clear at the site. Your defensive attempt to make this personal is unfortunate, a needless example of IKYABWAI 'net rhetoric, which per usual, fails to offer an effective counterpoint to my real point, which besides being impersonal, was merely that a bit more self-control on the part of some forum users would be a good thing. The comment wasn't intended as an invitation to go off on some "but what about you!..." tangent. More bluntly, I'm neither a perfect example of what I advocate, but neither am I a hypocrite. Enough about me. In the software forums of Renderosity, it can be a real drag when people decide that a topic is "stupid" and set out to derail it with, for example, repeated comments about squeaky hamster wheels and multiple references to popcorn while those who find value in the topic do their best to keep on it. The better response would be to post once to voice objection, or better yet, to move on and find a thread of value. If you really must try to turn well-intended and impersonal suggestions and opinions into some sort of opportuntiy for voicing personal defenses or resentments, I'd invite you to do so at the Coop or even Ironbear's forum at xfx-3d where you'd have the freedom to do so without consideration of propriety, or for that matter, coherent argument. Otherwise, please accept that if I irritated a raw nerve, it wasn't intentional. ;-)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 5:47 PM

Oh, well xo.....I could keep it going, but I think that this thread has come to the end of it's useful lifespan.

To go further down this road would truly degenerate into a worthless 'push me, shove you' type of exchange.

So, I'll let the matter drop.

As for the Coop -- I peek in there once in a while, just to see what's happening. When the mood strikes me. But I rarely post there anymore. Once in a blue moon.

Frankly, the overall level of activity there seems to have lessened. Some of the old familiar names appear to be gone.

I suppose that they got tired of it, too.

Ironbear's place? Never been there. Is the atmosphere similar to the Coop? Or is it more like a cross-pollination between the Virtual Tavern and the Coop?

In any case, I'll see you around. Here -- if nowhere else.

There's got to be a good P6 memory bug thread in the Poser forum.......or perhaps a raging debate about nudity in the galleries............

Be well, my friend, be well.

;)

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 6:32 PM

You too, and have a good weekend! By way of explanation, Ironbear's forum (which you can find under "Virtual Tavern" at www.xfx-3d.com) is Radio Free Ironbear, formerly hosted at 3D Arena. XFX-3D is Dodger's site. Ironbear sometimes aggregates amusing and salient news, links to interesting editorials, and his own commentary in the thread, which I think is where the "RFI" name came from. This goes back to "before my time." I've only been hanging out there for about a year or so. On my first visit, you and I were being made fun of, so instead of reacting negatively, I joked about it, and was instantly accepted by the regular crew. It's a barely-moderated forum where people can speak their minds. Thus there are some heated times, especially when non-regulars drop in to insult everyone, but for the most part it's just Poser folks who've been around for some time shooting the hay. The atmosphere is generally very friendly. Dodger has been posting images of some of his cool works in progress lately. "The regulars" get along very well despite considerable differences of personality and opinion. In fact, as occurred a couple of times recently, when people drop in with drive-by attacks as the result of arguments elsewhere, Ironbear usually calmly invites them to feel welcome and join the conversation. It's not a place for all tastes, though, as the daily routine usually consists of gossip about other sites and the silly things that people say in the forums. Despite the bizarre habit that some have of labelling people who enjoy gabbing "off topic" as "malcontents" or whatever, in fact some of the people there are involved at the most respected and well established venues in the Poser/3D scene, and appear to be quite content with everything except for general stupidity and ostentatious obsequiousness. You might drop by and say "hi" sometime. Just watch out for my ugly avatar, and whatever you do, don't look behind the bar! Sorry for the long off-topic meandering, all. ;-)

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 7:37 PM

RFI goes back to when IB moderated the Virtual Tavern, right heere at Renderosity. It's been years. It then lived in The Pub at 3DC I believe for a very short time before being moved to the 3D Areana,then finally ending up at Dodgers site. It's been around a long time. Tom

Lemurtek ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 8:11 PM

IIRC, the original RFI thread got so long it overloaded the Rendo Database software, damn near caused a meltdown. (that's opposed the regular meltdowns it causes its easily/terminaly offended readers. :) RFI was born out of hand, and never looked back. Regards- Lemurtek

StaceyG ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 6:05 PM

I think this thread has been discussed as much as it can be, seems to be way off the original topic at this point. I don't want to lock it so I'll not do that yet hoping that it is at its end. Thank you, Stacey Community Manager

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.