Thu, Sep 19, 4:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: SSS fake and general material testing...

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 4:59 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:24 PM

file_243292.jpg

I made a simple ring to try out some ideas with SubSurfaceScattering fakes in Bryce, see if I could pull any more realism out of it. Here's a comparison. All of the bloodpearls are lit internally by one central radial (each, so three radials total here). The first is just the three pearls and their lights, the second is the three and then three duplicated, only slightly (101%) larger glass spheres to add shinyness. In the third (bottom left) I multi-replicated each pearl 5 times, at 99% size decrease each time. So each pearl has 6 layers of world-space pearl texturing, and no glass layer, but still keeping the internal radial lights. In the last, I used PS to blend all three together equally. The last one doesn't look much different from the first or third. The question is, which one looks the most realistic, or the best? Or do they all look like garbage?!?

MoonGoat ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 6:16 PM

I like the top right and lower left most. They both seem best lit and each are somewhat more diffused than the others.

RodsArt ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 6:17 PM

In most scenes 3 of them would hardly show any change. Not bad at all. Now the Top right version is really nice. It looks as if the outer glass layer is taking on the color of the darker surface giving it an almost Garnet look. Love the yellow metal, would make a great mat for heavy construction vehicles. Most realistic: Top right. Nice stuff ICM

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Mahray ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 7:42 PM

I agree, top right looks the best.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 10:46 PM

file_243293.jpg

Then top-right it is. Here's a larger WIP render... Since then, I've added a weird structure around the pearl's settings. I'll post that later after it's done...

TwistedBolt ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 10:50 PM

I like the top right,and lower left as well.But how is this faking SSS? Wouldnt it be faking caustics and refraction?I thought SSS only applied to stuff like skin,plants,plastics, and opaque objects that still lets minor amounts of light to go through.

I eat babies.

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 11:51 PM

No, that's all just regular effects, Twisted. I guess I'm so used to caustics/refracion and softshadows/GI that I forgot I'd done them here... The subsurface scattering SHOULD be happening in the bottom left one. I used 6 spheres, each slightly smaller than each other and transparent, set to a complex WorldSpace fractal in an attempt to give it more "depth". It didn't work as good as I had hoped... There should have been a much bigger difference in the top left and the bottom left...

TwistedBolt ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 1:18 AM

Hmmm...maybe booleaned spheres would help ad depth.The transperency may be blown out by the lights inside the spheres too maybe.Still, good looking effect.

I eat babies.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 5:01 AM · edited Tue, 24 May 2005 at 5:02 AM

I'm not sure what I should be looking for here, but asthetically I agree with the rest, I liked the actual colour of the ring's spheres in the top right image, but in the bottom left image the spheres seems to have more... glow. Certainly the bottom left is better than the top left or bottom right for that.

P.S. Loved the wet stone the ring is lying on. Is that one of your own mats?

Message edited on: 05/24/2005 05:02

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 5:22 AM

Aye, thank you Fran! All mats are my own these days, it's so simple to make a new texture in the DTE I just do it out of habit... The ground texture is "from scratch" as it were, just something I was trying out. Gave me some interesting ideas, such as multi-replicating a million tiny spheres, randomizing their sizes and positions a bit, and actually CUTTING into the ground. You'd have to use a cube instead of a plain, but we'll see how it looks!

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 7:09 AM · edited Tue, 24 May 2005 at 7:10 AM

A million? When do you find the time? Oh, oh! Tut? (pleeding expression) (for that wet stone texture I mean, or similar)

Message edited on: 05/24/2005 07:10

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 3:41 PM

Well, I finished the ring, now I'm just waiting another two days while it renders. No premium effects, regular AA. I tried a fake SSS method, which didn't work, so then I decided to go for a real subsurface scattering method. Which is working, but very, very slowly...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.