Thu, Sep 19, 9:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Rotating Challenge...All read, please :D

nickcharles ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 1:26 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 10:08 PM

Hi all! It was brought to my attention a little while ago that maybe there should be more program specific Challenges, just as we have the Apo Tweak Fest. (Fractal Explorer was the one mentioned) I think more than two challenges in a month would be too much, but how about rotating the Apo Challenge with other program specific Challenges? The Themed Challenge will still be a regular monthly thing, as any fractal program can be used for it. Let me know your opinions and suggestions. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my Thanksgiving."
-Don Henley

mountmous ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 6:39 AM

My first reaction: sure, every month another program. But there are a lot of fractal programs out there. So which programs are "big" enough to be involved in such a rotation challenge? Yvonne

kansas ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 6:44 AM

I like the idea, Nick. Marion

sammi ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 11:08 AM

oh me too, we could have one for (x)fractint. ;)

firefly ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:15 PM

I think it's a cool idea too. Maybe limit the rotations to 5 or 6 of the most widely used programs though :)

sammi ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 1:20 PM

" Maybe limit the rotations to 5 or 6 of the most widely used programs though :)" drats. :)

firefly ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:15 PM

LOL!!! Sammi :)

Mags61 ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:48 PM

So are you saying that with 5 or 6 rotations we would only get a specific programme once every 5 to 6 months? This is a long time to wait if you only use one or two specific programmes. It would be interesting to know how many people use that many different programmes that they would still get a challenge every month. I have always thought that the themed challenge covers the use of all programmes and therefore don't really see the need for programme specific challenges. Apo 'tweaking' is a slightly different concept and therefore should have a challenge of its own.

We don't cease to play because we grow old, we grow old because we cease to play.

whirlingfeather ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 6:28 PM

I love the idea, although maybe set the time at two weeks!? Any program should be considered for inclusion in my opinion. Or maybe the members could nominate or suggest favorites to choose from. Good beginning so far! -Treena

fractalinda ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 7:04 PM

Great idea!

sammi ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 10:17 PM

" Or maybe the members could nominate or suggest favorites to choose from" i nominate xfractint. :) seriously though i like the apo tweak challenge, i prefer that one to the themed challenge, perhaps we could have a third challenge specifically for the 3d fractal renderers, (or somthing similar) ?

nickcharles ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 1:18 AM

Think of it this way... There are a LOT of Fractal progs out there. This might be a good way to learn something new, or really see what other progs are capable of :D As I said, the Themed Challenge will remain, as it allows all Fractal programs. And while the Apo Tweak Fest has been doing well, if we have more than two Challenges running in a month's time, the entries would most likely be fewer in each. We may do well to try and group certain progs, too, like sammi mentioned: "...specifically for the 3d fractal renderers" Let's get some more opinions and suggestions, and see what works :D In the meantime, hope everyone is having a great weekend! Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
-Don Henley

Mags61 ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 6:26 AM

If things have to change - and I'm still not convinced that they should! - then I would support the idea of grouping certain programmes. As you say, there are a lot of programmes out there and I am still concerned about the time you would have to wait for your favourites to come round. Mags

We don't cease to play because we grow old, we grow old because we cease to play.

Lagardo ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 10:13 PM

How'bout if the winner of this months contest can choose what next months fractal program should be? That way popular programs will pop up more often, but even unpopular ones will show up in the rotation occasionally. Just an idea...

nickcharles ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2005 at 1:32 AM

That is a nice idea, Lagardo. But we want to have some kind of order, so that everyone knows when to expect the next specific Challenge.

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
-Don Henley

paragon5 ( ) posted Wed, 01 June 2005 at 10:38 PM

Great idea, Nick! How about getting a list up and letting us vote on them. Maybe pick the top twelve and use one for each month. William

nickcharles ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2005 at 2:04 AM

Top twelve? Yikes! LOL Well, actually, I started this thread to see how much interest would be in it, and which progs would be best to go with. I'd rather start small, for a couple of reasons: 1)Depending on what programs we go with, we may need someone to help run the Challenge. Someone with more experience with the chosen programs (for entry approvals). 2)We would need to start with programs that most here are either familiar with, or would be interested in trying. It wouldn't be much fun if there were only a couple entries in a Challenge. Any suggestions? Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
-Don Henley

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2005 at 9:11 PM

I think maybe top three would be best. That way we would have a challenge for those three progs four times a year. How about listing the most popular and voting on the top three? Barb

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.