Thu, Sep 19, 6:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:58 pm)

Subject: OT: Great Britain beats the French again...!

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 6:55 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:37 PM

2012 Olympics in LONDON

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:04 AM

That should add some spice to the greetings at the G8..

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:16 AM

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with good old fish and chips... roast beef and Yorkshire pud... Eat cake, Jacques Chirac..! Or... should that be humble pie..?

Casette ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:19 AM

Im very happy, Madrid was on the verse to be selected, it would be the MADNESS... a million of open holes in all the city, cutted streets, new taxes... But NOT!!! God Save The Queen!!! :)

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

gg77 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:17 AM

Great for Britain and hard cheese for Jacques Chirac who comes across as a pompous tart. England and Tony Blair deserve the accolades and benefits of the Olympics.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:18 AM

YAY we beat the French again.... and perhaps they will do something about Londons infrastructer now instead of spending it on themselves (polititions).... {rant over with}

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Engel47 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:30 AM

Isn't it great :)

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:46 AM

I'm neither British nor French, but this is way to much off topic. By the way how does London think they will cope with all the extra traffic because of this? The infrastructure is a mess already as is at the moment, now add lot's and lot's of people to it and you'll sure get chaos.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:57 AM

Have you ever tried to drive through Paris..? At least we drive on the correct side of the road..!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:09 AM

I couldn't help noticing you didn't exactely claim to drive in the RIGHT side of the road L Good luck. Some insane politicians here are working on getting the Olympics to Denmark. Gawd nooooo! How on earth do they reckon we'll ever be able to afford that with the current infrastructure allready crumbling after too many years of the wrong government... Gah! They're mad! Congrats Britain, and let me say with Casette: Better you than us G

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:49 AM

We at least in Paris one can drive and sure drive like cracy there. Driving in London traffic means that the only excitement you get is when being able to move a couple of yards every now and then :-P Good luck with the Olympics, better you then us indeed!

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 10:05 AM

hmm..and the best part is it'll be on camera..everywhere have they put up 'loo-cams' yet?..;) Just think how much they'll make on the inner city tolls..;) Congrats..New York was in the running, but evidently not running hard enough (too many canolis?..;) Smith ! 247J1..start touching your toes!..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 11:50 AM · edited Wed, 06 July 2005 at 11:59 AM

That said......

......as someone who believes that the closing of the original Olympic games was one of the smartest things that the ancients ever did.......and that resurrecting them was one of the culturally stupidest things that the modern world has done.......

Of course, it goes without saying that it was a Frenchman who cooked up the unfortunate idea of bringing the games back again -- Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1894.

Something else to thank the French for.

The ancient games were plagued by many of the same issues that we see in the Olympics today -- things such as potions (drugs) to win, and curses on rivals. Out-sized individual egos and war-by-proxy between city-states. Cheating, scandal, and gambling were common.

Does any of this sound familiar? I seem to recall something being said about not learning the lessons of history, and therefore being doomed to repeat them.......

One thing that the ancient Olympics weren't: the games did not represent some sort of idyllic 'peaceful' gathering of rivals. Just the opposite, in fact.

Nowadays, the games are a great way for a local city to aquire a load of debt -- and to saddle their taxpaying citizens with the additional financial burden of hosting the games for years to come. Long after the severely under-attended games have mercifully ended and been completely forgotten by everyone.

BTW - without doing a google search, or going to your local library to look it up....tell me.....who won canoeing in 1936? Does anyone care? Not to mention that the 1936 Olympics were fantastic PR for a 20th century paragon of peace, weren't they?

Congratulations to London and welcome. Better there than in my own home town.

BTW - for the French, there exists a commonality between EU Constitutions and bringing back an internationalist Olympic 'ideal'. The French have always secretly wanted to rule the world, anyway. It's just that they haven't been able to accomplish that goal via direct means........

.......the French are all for 'internationalism'. Just so long as it's guaranteed that they'll be the ones running the show.

If you can't do world conquest directly -- then try it through the diplomatic back door.

Beat 'em again, Brits. I love it. It's just too bad that you had to be saddled with the Olympics in order to achieve this particular victory.

Message edited on: 07/06/2005 11:59

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Aeneas ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 11:53 AM

I'm glad it goes to London. Perhaps the hotels will now be checked on quality (and lice, fleas,...). And London is better suited as British Museum still has the stolen Elgin marbles from the Parthenon. (Parthenon>Greece>Olympics...get it?) As for Chirac: well, nowhere in the world you get sandwiches of the quality you get in London. Or beer. Or Elephants and Castles (the "Infante of Castilia" was translated by Londoners into "Elephant and castle") Besides: in London people speak a kind of American dialect most USsians will be able to understand. Parents do not obey their children like they do in the States, but generally speaking the situation will be more comfortable than Paris.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 11:59 AM

I'm neither British nor French, but this is way to much off topic.<< Totally agree. Also, does this mean it's OK to make semi-abusive statements about other countries so long as you label the thread 'OT'? (Just checking, as I just might want to say some things about the UK and the US)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:03 PM

(Just checking, as I just might want to say some things about the UK and the US)

Have at it (until the thread gets kaboshed).....just keep in mind the fact that for satire to actually have a bite to it, then there has to be a grain of truth at the core........

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

galactron22 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:08 PM

I just love it when anyone beats the French at anything.

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:14 PM

Oh, I'm not thinking of satire, just in the mood for a rant. But I'll bite my tongue and try to remember that this is a forum about 3D artwork.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:15 PM

Inside Parisian restaurant: "Excuse me waiter, but do you have frog's legs?" "Certainement, monsieur!" "Then hop off and get me a bacon sandwich and a cup of Earl Grey, theres a good chap."

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:27 PM

Anyone got any 3D models of the 2012 stadium? (There, vaguely back on topic)

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:31 PM

For the next year or so, try one of Andi3d's ruins/rubble sets. Give me 7 years and I will see if I can come up with something.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:43 PM

I might try something with Poserworld's temple building set - that's got a suitable set of wooden scaffolding and barely animated builders..

zulu9812 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:49 PM

To be honest, this is really just a London thing. Scotland will see no benefit of this whatsoever.

garblesnix ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 12:50 PM

I, for one, am very glad the Olympics aren't going to be in New York. Imagine the poor muggers and street "vendors" having to learn all those languages. How does one say "Wanna buy a Rolex?" in Mongolian? Bravo England! Kudos from your errant child, America. garblesnix

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 1:00 PM

steps in As this was already an OT post, I'm just going to say that bashing in ANY form of any person, country, etc., will NOT be tolerated. If it continues, this thread will be locked. I'm pretty sure ziggie didn't start the thread to start debates over which country is better. MorriganShadow Poser Moderator

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 1:08 PM

Rather superbly, the Darts association are now trying to become the host's guest sport for the 2012 olympics - I forsee a massive debate between the Darts and the Snooker to see which entirely sedentary British sport gets a world stage..

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:13 PM

Well, I'm scottish, and historically the scots and french have always got on very well. But I have to say, I was surprised at Chirac's nasty little jibe at british food. It may have been true (IMO, it was), but it made him look extremly petty and mean-spirited. (The news programs here in italy described it as a 'poisonous and pointless comment'). So after that, I was quite glad to see the french pipped at the post. Not that I give a hoot about the olympics. I've managed to survive in life without ever watching them, and no doubt I'll die happy without seeing this one. mac

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:19 PM

Just curious, how did New York get in the running?...I was told it had to be the countrys capital city...or was that just another way of making an excuse for london getting a huge wad of cash spent on it while us Northerners toil down the coal mines and eat gravel :o)........Steve

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:23 PM

"historically the scots and french have always got on very well" yes but only coz you both hate the English LOL.....as for the food, i've ate in Paris and it was exactly the same taste as London and Newcastle, only difference is they call it a Royale with cheese :o)........Steve

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:37 PM

@steveshanks: What coal mines (I thought Maggie shut them all down)? And as for Chirac's comments on British food, I might agree with him as soon as the French learn how to bake bread that isn't long, thin, hard and useless after a day. /me runs away, with French stick in hand, hoping to beat Chirac over the head with it. Ooooh - there's an idea for a Poser picture.... (Errrmm .. is that On Topic enough??) Cheers, Diolma

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:42 PM

"What do they call a Whopper"? "I don't know. I didn't go to Burger King".

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:47 PM · edited Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:48 PM

She did but they were bought by private companys....the big one is about to close soon though (flooded) so that'll be about the end unless someone else buys it...LDLD, The crazy thing is in Amsterdam they call it a quarter pounder LOL, i was really disapointed:o)..Steve

Message edited on: 07/06/2005 15:48

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:03 PM

LawnDartLawnDart: HA! I was in Paris a month ago, and they did in fact sell "Quarter Pounders"!

galactron22 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:10 PM

I thought they called them a "Royale with cheese".

freyfaxi ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:18 PM

"Rather superbly, the Darts association are now trying to become the host's guest sport for the 2012 olympics - I forsee a massive debate between the Darts and the Snooker to see which entirely sedentary British sport gets a world stage.. " How about Lawn Bowls ?

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:21 PM

steveshanks: You can afford to eat gravel..?! When I was a lad there were eighteen of us and we all lived in a shoebox and had nowt to eat but grass (shades of Monty P). Talking of bread... many moons ago I was in HM Forces and went to Canada and USA for 12 months. It took about 15 minutes to order an egg an' bacon sarnie. "Do you want white bread... brown bread... rye bread... this bread... that bread.? Do you want your egg sunny side up... sunny side down... sideways... on a slight angle.? Do you want crispy bacon... soft bacon.. etc., etc. Whenever we ran short of money, we would buy one burger and milk shake between 3 of us and then fill a plate each with the lettuce, salad and garnish from the side tables.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:34 PM

I think they should bring Cricket in as an exhibition sport..all the South Asians even in NC seem to be nuts about it..it's played all over the former Empire
Caveat- they have to explain it first..I'm still trying to make sense of the 'all outs until in, all ins until out' business..;)
I thought Quentin Tarrentino started the 'Royal' business..I once went to the Versailles McDonalds (no wonder they get huffy about us..;) just to see if they had wine on the menu, as the rumors said..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:38 PM

Me to Galactron but nope, maybe they used to coz it looks like Paris changed too.....Lawn bowls is the only Olympic sport the falkland islands have competed in (I'm full of useless info LOL)......Steve

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:55 PM

I don't think anyone here is having a go at the french, but i do think that MorriganShadow should perhaps lock Jacques Chirac from any political thread for giving us Brits (and a few other countries) a "Bashing"... I for one was expecting France to win, but after that outburst i think Chirac killed of France's chances... typical polititions..hmmm

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 5:02 PM

THere were two Finish delegates - Chirac included Finland in the attack on food, so 54 to 50 with two Fins going the other way might have been 52 all..

galactron22 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 5:47 PM

I just truly don't like the French.

simontemplar ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 4:04 PM · edited Thu, 07 July 2005 at 4:09 PM

I recall the Albertville winter games and their true consequences. Rather negative, economically speaking. And I don't even like sports...I ain't either much a fan of our current "leader". In many aspects I don't agree with his choices. Now. All of this being, I hope, very clear...

Is it just me or do I see here a truckfull of xenophobic chit-chat?
Saying that we, french, lack humility? Just when did Mr Blair show some humility in the course of his current mandate? Oh, and what exactly is driving on the proper side of the road? Was this carved in stone or something? I won't go on about all I have seen written in that thread, as obviously some people were joking, but I think this is a bit too much. I don't like the decisions JWB made, but I am not going to spit in the face of the whole people of America. Amalgam is a trait of idiocy.

All the "I don't like the french, since I don't like Chirac", pull your heads out of you asses. You're mixing one guy with a whole country. Also ask yourselves if we all like our prez. When you have time give a look at his goddam popularity chart.

French this, french that. They are like this, they are like that. How funny. Everyday, here in France, I work like a slave to make British people's life easier with computers. They usually like me because I take all the time and make all the efforts needed so they won't have to worry about their machines going bonkers, also making sure they can remain in touch with their relatives in UK through internet.
And mind you, so they don't feel too lost with all of this (my customers often need help with the very basic notions in computer use), I speak english to them. For their comfort. So they really know what everything is about.

As a person who respects the right of people to be who they are and what they are, I do say, I feel hurt and insulted.
Feel free to laugh at me or anything else, it can't really get worse anyway can it? If in place of "french" we had the word "black" or "chinese" inserted in those posts I see here, it would be stamped as xenophobic right away. But since it's french, it's okay isn't it?
Oh and one last thing: considering what happened today in London, I really think the Olympics are far from being something we all should care much about right now. Unless of course, helping the wounded and mourning the dead comes after singing national anthems and play the "mine is bigger than yours" game.
Blah.

Message edited on: 07/07/2005 16:09

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2005 at 1:41 AM

"HA! I was in Paris a month ago, and they did in fact sell "Quarter Pounders"! " How about a Super Size of Freedom Fries? 8 )~ Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2005 at 2:31 AM

I couldn't agree more. Anyway, if it was OK to ridicule a race because of how their leader behaves, then there are much more obvious targets, and some people should look much closer to home.

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 08 July 2005 at 3:12 AM

Well, we can all see where this is going...

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.