Fri, Oct 25, 1:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: 2 portraits of a drug addict

beekz ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 5:54 PM · edited Fri, 25 October 2024 at 1:33 PM

junkies pain the first image.. shot using a flash to capture the moist and greasy skin... the second image without.. to capture the reflection in the eyes.. of objects lightened up by sunlight... junk2.jpgjunk1s.jpg

cynlee ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 6:01 PM

rough... the 2nd is better, maybe in black & white as the shirt tends to compete with his features & the first looks like something out of a dermatologist's patient file...

kimariehere ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 6:32 PM

oh mann what KIND OF DRUGS? serious addict,, poor guy he needs som tlc and a rehab place.. he looks close to death!!

kimmers ♥ :O)

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 6:44 PM

Yep...met many along my path!!!!...I tend to think of these guys like an alcoholic...inner pain, tearing them apart...a form of release!!!...I mean, who really wants to go down THAT path!!!...I prefer a clear head nowadays!! touching shots!!!

tizjezzme ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 6:56 PM

The poor man ... bless his soul. I think the 2nd image is the best of the two. Tone is better. This really breaks my heart.

"The only thing coming straight out of MY camera is the cable!"
P. Vermeulen

kimariehere ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 8:05 PM

i think the 2nd is better too.. i worked in consiling with a few and that face shows serious hard core drug looks like methinphetimes or herion cause of the sores.. he needs help i feel so sorry for him he is a lost soul .. i shall pray for him sigh...

kimmers ♥ :O)

Tedz ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 8:06 PM

the first image.. shot using a flash to capture the moist and greasy skin..# This may as well be a slab of Meat that is being displayed and discussed ... and...imho...it would be a reluctant Portrait...and there sure is no Compassion in the displaying of the Images, or the Description with it. I may be out of kilt with Modern Society...but...frankly...this stinks.

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 8:22 PM

I don't get this at all.Where is the anonymity.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 8:28 PM

I have seen one death by fluids aspiration and one by gunshot..the gunshot for a young woman with lots of potential and very bright...I take no pleasure in this. Oh, I have seen others; the ones mentioned just happened to be family at one time in their lives. So terribly sad. Yes, reality stinks sometimes. Then, even then there must be some sense of dignity to afford the "lost ones". No person ever pulled him or herself up by their own bootstaps...someone was there to help.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 8:52 PM

I don't want to sound like "the bitch" here, but as for compassion, yes indeed, for their inner suffering which we all endure btw, as for being an addict, no one pushed that seringe in their arm but themselves! This is self inflicted and I think dignity starts by not putting urself through that kind of thing! So nope, I don't really feel sorry for the guy! These shots are awful indeed and I hope he gave u permission to post them in here. Now if he did, I have no probs with that, it shows what drug can do and it can be a wake up call for some! ;) Just my 5 pennies! :)

beekz ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 9:00 PM

REALITY is indeed the word.

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 9:00 PM

Pascale,Your 5 pennies are accepted. :) Some I feel sorry for, some not so sorry. I suppose how personal it is has something to do with that. Still..hope is a rare bird indeed and often featherless to flight. Those already there will not get the wakeup call. Unfortunately.

cynlee ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 10:10 PM

what were your thoughts in posting this anyway? did you want to improve the photo or see what kind of reaction you'd get by labeling him as such? he actually looks well groomed

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 10:15 PM

LOL@Cyn!! But seriously, that's a very good question! I'm wondering too....! O_o

beekz ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 10:40 PM · edited Thu, 14 July 2005 at 10:41 PM

I submitted this with the same motivation as all other work that is submitted here. does the fact that there is an addict in it make u question that? strong

Message edited on: 07/14/2005 22:41

cynlee ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 11:26 PM · edited Thu, 14 July 2005 at 11:27 PM

think it may have come off as a bit cold... no worries...
we were just wondering if the model is how he would like to be displayed on the internet... ok... critique given on how to make this better... have a good day :]

Message edited on: 07/14/2005 23:27

cryptojoe ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 1:04 AM

I personally think this is a very good subject matter, as it brings up the social questions society needs to address. Art is supposed to effect our emotions. I agree the person looks well groomed and quite posed, as though they were beginning a rehab program; it gives a very clinical effect.

I suppose if my opinion on the subject itself were known - substance abuse - others might think I was a left leaning liberal who views the middle of the political road lies somewhere between Hillary Clinton and Chairman Mao; when I am actually a card carrying, financially contributing Republican. But that is what art is supposed to do,

Art is for the rebel in us all, the medium which allows us to transcend political and social stereotypes set down by conformists of both the left and the right.

I have difficulties choosing which images suits the subject best, the upper one is starkly realistic, what we would expect to see from glancing, if we dare, at the vagrant in the street. The lower one brings out a special something in the man that says I am warm, and alive, there's someone inside which you do not see when you pass me by.

It's as though Yin and Yang were together here, inseparable; for one cannot appreciate the day until one understands there is night.

This is a very long thread as indeed it should be, these images both cause us emotions of pity and indignity; pain for some, guilt for others, approaching heart wrenching for viewing what most of us care to avoid. Never staring into the windows of their souls for fear the affliction might be contagious, or that we might break down and give empathy for their plight, for the paths which they've chosen.

The greatest difficulty of all for me, is to stand back and summize an often hollow phrase which comes to mind, "...there but for the Grace of God, goes I."

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

lejimi ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 4:54 AM

... I think I prefer the first shot. It shows someone ill and very horrible to look at. It's a strongly disturbing picture and it shows what hides beyond what we call "articicial paradises" This first picture shows a kind of undead, a totaly destroyed human being. The man on the second picture seems to keep a kind of inner beauty. The shine in the eyes, the half smile, the skin less ill-looking : there's something very peaceful in this face. Does this peace comes from hope or from hopelessness ? This picture asks many more questions than the other one, but first it asks this one : is art allowed to go everywhere ? LJM

beekz ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 6:45 AM

thanks for all the FB... for the people thast dissapprove of this project.... no wworries.. I will post no more.

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 2:42 PM

Dear beekz..it is not the reality of the subject that hit me hard..as Cyn said, it just came across a bit cold for such an important and sensitive subject.

danob ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 3:03 PM

I think I have to agree with Tedz it is an emotive image and in need of some human story about the guy, or some act of kindness.. One gets the impression from your clinical description it was taken and you walked away..

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 3:28 PM

I agree! It would be nice to know a 'lil more about him! ;)

vlaaitje ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 4:42 PM

I am compleet agree with Danob, its so easy to say "he is just a junk" but don't forget, there will be always a story behind it, and I know Danny, because you work with " mental sick people" you understand this better then who else....and be honest, if this is the real person how you shoot it in street life, I guess if I was his sister I didn't accept the post here, sorry to say, he looks almost death...but maybe I am wrong, and you made his face in photo shop like this way, who knows !! Or it is somebody you know and play your model...sorry, but this makes me really sad....

Ilona Krijgsman: My Tree Of Life
----------------------------------

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 6:37 PM

I totally agree with the posts #21,22,23. What seemed to me as "cold" was the very "clinical" approach, like this is "only #1 or #2 or whatever" and not a human being in dire straites, on the rocks and no redemption. A photo has tremendous power. These do. These did as seen by comments made. beekz, if you plan to do a photo story on this sad side of life it could have wonderful value. Let me know if you plan to do that. Approached that way or with even a tad of info about this person besides " an addict" would, in my little opinion, lessened much of the criticism. Then again, you are you, I am me, we are what we are and each feels individuallly. I support all sorts of artistic rights...we have to do that. Then the feeling of exploitation is repugnant, yes it is. With stated purpose and permission, this image becomes altogether a different beast. Sure, to ask which image is best or which could be improved is standard stuff here. That is what you did. Yet, the shock value was unaticipated by viewers whether planned or not. A word or two about the situation would possibly quench the flame on the fuse. That is my 2 cents worth, no more needed from here.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 6:51 PM

Actually Tom, he didn't ask which image was best nor how to improve them! He just posted them and we're all like "what was supposed to be the point here?"! ;)

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 6:58 PM

Pascale, you said in a few words what it took me many "not to say" clearly. Thanks.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 7:42 PM

ROFL!! My pleasure dear! ;)

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 7:50 PM

I stand corrected..the images were posted. Advice not asked. Thanks for corrrecting my mistake in post #24.

beekz ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2005 at 2:27 AM

not into formalities. yall can sit there and speculate on my intent but I already said it. Greets.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.