Sun, Sep 22, 1:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: My greebly shader

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 5:25 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:34 AM

file_291255.jpg

Gimmicked this up today...idea was to do a greeble effect that was totally proceedural. Has a couple Shader Ops functions but otherwise is Carrara 4 native. I've learned a bit, and I could make the stuff have more organization and more machine-like patterns now...but I had to start rebooting Carrara as the tree grew to monumental length (an efficient shader programmer I'm not!)

The rest is Anything Grooves and plane primitives.

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 5:26 AM

file_291256.jpg

Having fun with the shader.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 5:34 AM

WOW! Any chance you will enlighten us and post the shader, so more people can explore an develop this great looking thing? Maybe Eric Winemiller can even start creating Anything Greebles with your help (you are going to be RICH!!!! ;-)

TOXE had a great trick for doing that by the way. He found outyou can attach .txt documents here. Changing the extension of the shader (.cbr) to text and you can attach it.

But maybe you want to keep it to yourself...

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 6:05 AM

Naw. I was intending to give it away to anyone who asks. Basically it's a lot of recursions of the "squares" pattern; most of them with "threshold" checked. Had to get a little tricky both to create large flat areas and to single out squares to apply other effects to. And of course, it is only height -- need to do another pass to put greeble on the sides of the greeble. I'd love if Eric got into something like this, tho: there's some shader functions that would be very handy, and probably require going into the SDK. I haven't purchased Veloute yet, tho -- there could be some cool stuff in there. I suspect, though, that Architools would be the real kick for greebling up a spaceship...

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 7:03 AM

Nice!

bluetone ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 8:06 AM

Can you share a screen grab or 2? Or the Carrara file with the shader in it, maybe? (Please?? :D ) Looks great! I second the notion that Eric or Julien should add this to their ever growing list of tools.

Kixum ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 11:21 AM

It does look great! Greebles are one of the things that Carrara really does need. -Kix

-Kix

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 12:27 PM

Try this...see if you can open the shader out of a zip archive. http://www.renderosity.com/artistdownload.ez?fileid=21622&key=220877

bluetone ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2005 at 4:53 PM

I downloaded it and will take a look over the weekend. Thanx!! :D

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 8:47 PM

file_291257.jpg

Makes for some great space junk. I appreciate you taking the time you spent adding so much detail to your Carrara greeble. It is a top-notch one.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 9:06 PM

file_291258.jpg

The model in Amapi 7.

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2005 at 1:22 AM

Very cool. Makes me think of RAMA. I've been playing with ideas, trying to figure out how to "stretch" the shader. ShaderOps "tile UV's" can make it cover more space. But what I'd really love to do is re-seed the random number generator on a per-tile basis. After all, nothing on this shader is hand-placed; it's all random numbers. Anyone want to ask Eric Winemiller if he could write something that re-seeds all the generators in a shader tree?

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2005 at 10:16 AM

This looks really great! -Kix

-Kix

kelley ( ) posted Tue, 20 September 2005 at 5:17 PM

This is righteous! Not sure I can live without it!

nomuse ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2005 at 6:15 AM

file_291259.jpg

Messed around a bit more. The shaders look fine when I re-seed the random number generators, generating new shapes within the same parameters. Having pattern functions that used absolute measurements instead of percentages would be quite a bit more useful, though. For everything, in fact; it's a nasty mess trying to scale something as simple as bricks to match objects of different dimensions.

Above is a new thing I dashed off, using the same basic functions as before.

bluetone ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2005 at 7:20 AM

These are looking great! Maybe you need to put out a set of shaders? Variations on this theme, with the rivets/hull plating (love that!) and the city-scape, and the space-ship exteriors and all.

nomuse ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2005 at 3:00 AM

Eh. I hasten to point out that everything I've managed so far could be replicated with simple image-maps. So far it's merely cleverness for the sake of being clever. There's an image in here soon, though. I'm working up a little series (first one is already posted, but over where the fairies hang out).

bluetone ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2005 at 7:31 AM

"I'm working up a little series (first one is already posted, but over where the fairies hang out)." So where do the 'fairies' hang out?

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2005 at 8:22 AM

Tsss. In the 'woods' ofcourse. Everybody knows that. :)

nomuse ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2005 at 1:27 PM

No no no. That's where the teddy bears are having their picnic.

nomuse ( ) posted Thu, 29 September 2005 at 3:28 PM

file_291260.jpg

Okay, not really. The idea for this image series is to do foreground figures with some amount of realism, and backgrounds that are more unabashadly CG; making use of procedural and parametric functions, for one. Undetailed and lacking in human reference scale for another.

For this image I wrote a simpler greeble for the deck plating, and added another procedural shader to the Anything Grooves objects; it changes both color and highlight value via the Shader Ops "Squares" generator, and adds a bit of bump-mapping.

There are two lights; a distant light, and an Anything Glows object suspended over the girl just out of camera range. The StarBright stars were comped in with an alpha channel render.

The girl also has a bit of shader fun on her. The skin shader uses a multi-channel mixer to apply two colorized versions of the base texture from Thorne, with Fake Fresnel controlling the blend. There is a slight glow in the "away from camera" channel as well. In fact, all of the clothing has complex shaders applied to modify the texture maps; much of it using Fake Fresnel operators.

Working on ideas for massive concrete and rusted plates of steel now: for the next image in the series.

sailor_ed ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2005 at 6:37 AM

This is marvelous project! I can't wait to see more!

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 11:51 PM

file_394440.jpg

Thought I'd see how well ZBrush 3 could import a Carrara Pro 5 greeble.  Amapi Pro 7.5 couldn't open it because of the huge poly count.  But ZBrush 3 treated it like a regular tool.  Cool!

AndyCLon ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2007 at 11:23 AM

Quote - Eh. I hasten to point out that everything I've managed so far could be replicated with simple image-maps. So far it's merely cleverness for the sake of being clever. There's an image in here soon, though. I'm working up a little series (first one is already posted, but over where the fairies hang out).

The difference for simple image maps comes when you want to zoom in on your textures. At this point image maps could become blocky where as procedural should not.

It would be interesting to know how memory usage increases for lots of objects using the two different techniques.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2007 at 12:29 PM

This time around, I dragged the shader to Carrara's displacement channel rather than using Anything Grooves.  The poly count was around 800,000.  A smoothing of 6.  The displacement smoothing worked great for the curved edges of the cube.

graylensman ( ) posted Thu, 29 November 2007 at 12:39 PM

Quote - Try this...see if you can open the shader out of a zip archive. http://www.renderosity.com/artistdownload.ez?fileid=21622&key=220877

couldn't find it!!!  :( any other way to get this?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 12:26 AM

Attached Link: Nomuse's Greeble

> Quote - > Quote - Try this...see if you can open the shader out of a zip archive. http://www.renderosity.com/artistdownload.ez?fileid=21622&key=220877 > > > > couldn't find it!!!  :( any other way to get this?

Here:  http://www.shonner.com/drafts/nomuse_greeble.zip

UVDan ( ) posted Sun, 02 December 2007 at 2:57 PM · edited Sun, 02 December 2007 at 2:58 PM
Forum Moderator

**Thanks for the greeble.  Can you post a screenshot of how you did the riveted panel one?

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2007 at 4:01 AM

Sorry...forum software ONCE AGAIN has decided not to email me about replies to a thread. Which just one of the reasons I'm at DeviantArt these days and only check in here once in a blue moon. Anyhow. Really lovely, Shonner. I love the way that rounded box looks. UVDan, I'm not sure I could even find the shader around any more. I remember more-or-less how it was done, tho. Something like two recursions of the bricks shader; one was set for the narrow channels, but the other was set for really wide "grout." The grout is specifically the spacing of two rows of rivets...which were in turn a checkerboard filled with gradients with cut-offs to make them small mounds right in the center.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2007 at 4:38 AM

file_395163.jpg

It's what gave me the idea on how to texture this.  A very simple, almost non-greeble.

UVDan ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2007 at 3:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks,  I appreciate it.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.