Sat, Sep 21, 9:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: The Fractal Vintage Showcase goes monthly

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Wed, 26 October 2005 at 5:48 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 5:56 PM

Hi everybody! I'm here to announce that the Fractal Vintage Showcase will be monthly now, instead of weekly. Given the number of tasks we have to take care of, we have no choice. I hope you understand, and keep enjoying it as usual! Next FVS will be out by the beginning of November. Don't worry about the FWW, it will continue as usual. Thank you! Barb

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

Timbuk2 ( ) posted Thu, 27 October 2005 at 12:55 AM

I totally understand, as I'm sure we all do. Thanks for your hard work, and great taste!

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 27 October 2005 at 8:28 PM

This is a good choice. They will last longer :)

Fractals will always amaze me!

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Fri, 28 October 2005 at 12:27 AM

:))) Thank you for the support, guys! It's much appreciated! Barb

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2005 at 12:39 AM · edited Sat, 29 October 2005 at 12:43 AM

i thought every fortnight would be a better idea, for then you can catchup :P since you do already a sequence of 2-weeks- designs-showcase smile but i can't look in your busy agenda... you must be quite busy as an interior-designer annex decorator as well =D

Message edited on: 10/29/2005 00:43

fractalchemist ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2005 at 8:24 AM

Why not let someone else do it then? There must be enough people interested to do this, maybe even with better expertise for the task? Eveline ( who is not the one that wants to do it;-)))

nickcharles ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2005 at 3:06 AM

Hi Eveline

Thanks for the suggestion, however...

When the Hot 20 debate kept coming up, we decided to try out some ideas...

The FWW and the FVS.
We do both of these based on this from the 'Fractal Gallery Guidelines':
"The images are chosen by the Fractal Moderators without regard to artist popularity, views, comments, or ranking."

We also decided that the FVS would be better done monthly as it is getting closer to the present date.

Both will continue to be selected by us to better avoid another Hot 20 situation. So far we have had much support in this process, and are very happy to continue to do this.

Have a great weekend!

Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my Thanksgiving."
-Don Henley

fractalchemist ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2005 at 6:54 AM

Nick,As I am reading your response I am again already sorry I took the trouble to post my opinion, or suggestion on this board. It is the kind of knock-down argument you are so good at, and what I see you doing again and again in budding discussions on this forum, sometimes even going so far as to delete whole topics at your will. ----------------------------------------------------- Anyhow, now that I am bothering to think about how to make things nicer at this community, I will explain what what thought made me react in the first place. quote:""Both will continue to be selected by us to better avoid another Hot 20 situation. So far we have had much support in this process, and are very happy to continue to do this.""end of quote Nothing is wrong with the idea of the FVW and FWW, to the contrary, it is a very real solution to the hot twenty issue....however: Why should there be only one person to choose the images? Who have chosen you two as moderators of the fractal forum? Did you have such a great affinity with Fractal Art, or art in general you find yourself able to choose again and again between all those posted images? maybe I am not very diplomatic, but Dutch people are used to speak their mind freely, even if someone's feeling might get hurt...( There is always someone who' s feelings get hurt,even your own, so that is no argument to not speak up;-))))) I am sorry to say, but I find Barbara's choices not to be free of bias, and very much influenced by her own tastes and (lack of) artistic vocabulary..... And now there is a Fractal of the Month Showcase,that's chosen from the choices of Barbara's FWW. Not a very representative choice is it? Do not get me wrong, I am in no way implying that it should be ME who did the choosing! You say you get a lot of support, but from whom? Not from me, nor from others that are not such comment junkies , or are hindered by their lack of ability to write in good English. And now Barbara says it all takes too much of her ( no doubt) precious time...In her own words: ""Given the number of tasks we have to take care of, we have no choice.""" She could have known it would be like this....Do not start what you cannot finish, Barbara! Well dear moderators I find this a very easy way out, and I most certainly disagree about the " no choice" part of her message. There is a choice, maybe even several, and the fact that you are happy with your solution does not always implies that everybody is.... I hope you will have a great sunday too, I really do and remember, nobody is perfect! Eveline

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2005 at 9:02 AM

exactly... Quote: "As was stated, the Hot 20 will see a change, just not very soon." That was 3 months ago, Nick, what happened to that? Disappeared in the freezer? We have the impression that Barbara had too many tasks taken on her shoulders that she had no time to spend on her tasks here, as she had suggested the new FWW and FVS to begin with. Seems to me you both take too many tasks on your shoulders that you both have no time for this fractal-community anymore. So perhaps it is time to either take a few things off your shoulders, or elect another, more dedicated and devoted, fractal artist to be a moderator and/or codinator here. But like Evie says, we Dutch can't speak up our minds as we are used to, and prolly should stick our heads in the sands, for otherwise we are either missunderstood or taken as we are making trouble. Please don't take us wrong, we are also there to improve the community, as we are also those who make our contribution to the gallery with our art and designs, but it seems easier for the both of you to spread the tasks to others than to have to disappoint us with messages like Barbara spammed this forum with. Have a nice weekend Harmen

nickcharles ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2005 at 10:35 PM

Evelyn-
First of all, if you have complaints about the way I have handled things, then please e-mail admin@renderosity.com.

Any thread (or post) I had locked, moved, or deleted was handled according to the TOS. I have no problem with debates/discussions/opinions...until others are
attacked...that will not be tolerated. Personal attacks are against Renderosity's TOS (which you agreed to when you joined here).

Second,
no one is perfect, and we said from the beginning that we are trying our best with the selection process. This was started by Barb and myself as so many complained about the Hot 20. Further, the Fractal section is not the only section where the Moderators choose a selection of images.

If there are others that do not approve of our selection process, then they are always free to speak up. If the majority feels the same, then we can drop it, and move on.

Third,
BOTH Barbara and I make the selections. BOTH of us share the tasks here, and there are plenty of them. Therefore, your complaint against Barbara is also a complaint against me.

Harmen-

"Quote: "As was stated, the Hot 20 will see a change, just not very soon."
That was 3 months ago, Nick, what happened to that? Disappeared in the freezer?"

It is on Admins list. I've brought it up many times (ask them, they'll surely confirm this). They have a huge list, and the Hot 20 is not the highest priority at this time. Nothing more can I do on that.

"Seems to me you both take too many tasks on your shoulders that you both have no time for this fractal-community anymore. So perhaps it is time to either take a few things off your shoulders, or elect another, more dedicated and devoted, fractal artist to be a moderator and/or codinator here."

Ummm....
We have a very large section here. We get a lot of IMs and e-mail from members. We handle problems/complaints. We run two monthly Challenges......

We have always been about the Fractal Community here.

Let's please keep it civil here in the forum.

That said, hope you both had a great weekend :)

Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
-Don Henley

Timbuk2 ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2005 at 11:44 PM

Is it really so important to have the Fractal Vintage Showcase come out more often than monthly? Eveline and Harman are really making a lot of noise about reducing from weekly to monthly. First of all, I support Barbara and Nick on this issue and I don't consider myself a "comment junkie", far from it. In fact, I resent that statement. And I think even the most basic speakers of English can appreciate the implications of using terms like that, so don't try to hide behind the "I'm Dutch so I don't have to be civil" line. Secondly, I find the Weekly Window and Vintage Showcase to be a huge improvement over the H20 as a vehicle for displaying a quality representation of fractal art. Sure, everything can be improved, and as Eveline herself said, nobody is perfect. So why does the tone of her remarks sound borderline abusive? Please do speak your mind, but take a few more moments to make sure your remarks are written so as to say what you need to say but not to be offensive. Tim

fractalchemist ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 4:18 AM

Hello Tim, why does it seem to me you feel personally attacked? That is not the case, and remember, when reading someone elses words, it is still you that draws the conclusions. Have a nice day, Evie

Timbuk2 ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 5:09 AM

Hi Evie, I don't feel personally attacked at all. That is your erroneous conclusion. My reaction was to yours, and to a lessor extent Harman's, unjustified harsh words against Barbara's and Nick's handling of what I believe is a great alternative to the H20. Be cool, Tim

fractalchemist ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 5:26 AM

It' s OK, Tim.... I already talked about this to Nick in private. My words were not harsh...I say things like this several times every day to my seven year old daughter....I tend to forget that education is supposed to be something for children, and not for everyday life....;-)))) Have a good day, Evie

Timbuk2 ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 12:18 PM

What's that supposed to mean?

nickcharles ( ) posted Tue, 01 November 2005 at 2:04 AM

Let's leave this part behind us and move on, please. We'll accept any opinions regarding the FWW and FVS, but let's keep the TOS in mind for future reference :D Tim- thanks for the support and good words...we really appreciate it :D Have a great week everyone! Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
-Don Henley

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.