Thu, Sep 19, 6:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Does Image Stabilization or Anti Shake REALLY come in Handy!?!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 9:50 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 6:48 PM

Just wondering for those that have cameras or lenses with this feature. What does it enable you to do, that you couldn't with a camera/lens without it? Is it a MUST have?

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 09:51

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 9:57 AM

I'll be able to answer that question at the end of this month! But I guess it's a brilliant feature indeed, hence the price of the lenses with IS! ;)

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:01 AM · edited Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:10 AM

Well I don't have it so I can only go on what I read, but I am sure someone with it will give you first hand answer.

I have been so tempted by Minolta 5D because it has this and from examples I have seen it works. Enabling you to capture sharp images in poor light where otherwise the shutter speed would be too slow to handhold. Also useful if you use a long lens as shutter speeds need to be high then to hand hold.

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 10:09

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:17 AM
  1. Allows you to shoot in lower light. 2) Handhold shots are possible at shutter speeds 2-3 stops slower without tripod/monopod! 3) With the Canon IS range, most top end lenses have two IS modes, the 2nd IS mode for panning! 4) Very useful for macro and close ups! 5) You pay the money!!! 6)Wouldnt buy a len/s without that feature now!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:19 AM

I don't have this feature in my cam or lense either, but from what I've read the answer is emphaically YES! (and no) It will definately help you take a clear picture and slower shutter speeds, in darker conditions, etc. Richard highlighted the key points. However, it is not a perfect technology, and will not eliminate all blur, or let you handhold the cam in all situations. If you want that a little extra help getting clearer photos when it is not easy to use a tripod, then this is the technology for you. If you want to insure that your image is as clear as can be, use a tripod.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:19 AM

Funny you mention the Minolta 5d Richard, because its come down to choosing between THAT and the Rebel 350xt! My thinking is having the antishake "in-camera" would put "less" of a dent in my wallet, since ANY lens would benefit then! Decisions, Decisions..........

cynlee ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:28 AM

be interested to know too.. the slightest twitch & it's trashed

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:39 AM

LOL@Cyn! What do u mean?

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:53 AM

I think she means that without it, move just a little and the image is a goner. :)

3DGuy ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:53 AM

It works for stationary objects. Just don't expect to shoot sharp pictures of people in the dark for instance (i.e. at a concert).

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:54 AM

Kort, not being biased, but when you use Canon IS USM lenses, I think you might change your mind :)...unsure on how other makes compare. The engineering and technology that goes into these is simply stunning!

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:55 AM

Also works on moving objects!!!...hence mode ii IS :)

cynlee ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:56 AM

yes.. that's what i meant.. takes my digital awhile to focus.. sigh

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:58 AM · edited Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:02 AM

Attached Link: http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=331

3Dguy like the ones (near bottom) in this review ?

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 11:02

Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:03 AM

Oh ok!! Jim, what's panning???

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:08 AM

Pascale, following a moving object to put it simply!..ps..mode ii IS (on most top end len's) Which one ya getting?

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:10 AM

LOL @ Jim! Are you offering, because I'd be glad to take you up on that! :) I'm sure that they are amazing, and that the result you get with them far outshines anything that doesn't have IS. Your gallery images and some you've posted here in the forum are proof of that. My only concern is there still comes a point where the IS isn't effective and that to guarantee your shot, a tripod or monopod is the way to go, if feasible. It is just that with IS, that point is 2-3 stops slower.

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:13 AM

LOL @ Jim! Are you offering, because I'd be glad to take you up on that! :) I'm offering...lol :) >It is just that with IS, that point is 2-3 stops slower Yes, allows you to shoot in lower light than normal!

Margana ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:21 AM

Sounds like a must-have to me since I love to shoot in low light. Unfortunately I seem to be in the same boat as Cindy,...but I can always dream...And hope Santa reads this,lol :^)

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:21 AM

I'll IM you my mailing address ASAP then. ;] I tell ya, there were times this past weekend I wish I had AS. I was shooting around dusk and lost a lot of shots to blur.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:23 AM

Attached Link: Email Santa

Hohoho -- give it a go!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:24 AM

I hear ya Kort! Before "IS" was invented the TRIPOD method was the way to go! Its way CHEAPER to boot! Those lenses cost alot of dinero too! Thats why I'm looking at the Minolta 5d...no added cost because the "IS" system is in the body NOT the lens!

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:26 AM

Jimbo, the 24-105mm. I was thinking of the 28-300mm at first but I read that it wasn't as good due to a too wide range and the the focus wasn't as sharp. so I gave up the idea and I think the 24-105 should cover quite a lot for the kind of shooting I do. Any advice on that? ;)

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:39 AM

Great walkaround lens!...I should use it more!!!...superb build and optic quality!...outstanding lens really... paid 769 UK for mine. I also use it as a 'macro' with the 25 and the 12mm extension tubes on!

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:42 AM

should be well suited Pascale :)..perfect marraige to the 20D:)

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:45 AM

Yes!!! Great!! I thought so too! I read fantastic reviews about it! Thx Jimbo!! I saw it at 700. They don't have any in stock at the moment though! :(

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:46 AM

They must have sent them all back to Canon to get them fixed !

Edward Lear

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:47 AM

As for these extension tubes....that's definitely something I will think about...later...sounds pretty cool to me and definitely much cheaper than a macro lens! ;)

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:49 AM

yes...and with no glass, no loss in quality!! ps, the 24-105 has just mode 1 IS!

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:49 AM

What R u talking about Rich! I never read there was anything wrong with that lens, on a contrary!!! It's one of the top quality one actually! Where did u get that from?

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:50 AM

Oh crap!! I didn't see that!! :( I want both modes!!!

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:55 AM

Richard, I believe the UK were free from that...absolutely nothing wrong with mine.

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:55 AM · edited Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:07 PM

here !

Ah ok the link is too long so it missed bit off the end.

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/image_stabilization_lenses/ef_24-105mm_f4_l_is_usm/announcement.asp

Bit of a problem an IS lens you want to work in low light and that's where it has the fault :(

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 12:07

Edward Lear

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:59 AM

Here what! It says it's a fantastic lens!! O_o U've lost me here!

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:06 PM

from canon EOS magazine site: Image Stabiliser (IS) dramatically reduces image blur caused by camera shake. Gyro sensors detect unwanted vibrations, triggering the corresponding movement of a correcting lens group perpendicular to the optical axis. This alters the light path, returning the image to its correct position on the sensor or film plane. The 3 stop advantage means that photographers normally shooting a 105mm lens handheld at 1/125 sec can obtain a shake free result with a shutter speed as low as 1/15 sec, for vastly extended options in low light conditions.

Zacko ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:10 PM · edited Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:12 PM

LMAO@Kort...where do you find all these links???

My lord...this must be the fastest running thread ever. Soooo many replies in such a short period of time. I dont have AS (even though they are my initials and in swedish they translates into carcass..sigh...i got teased alot as a child) but it seem to be a good deal to me. Im planning on getting me a DSLR as soon as Santa paid me a visit and dropped off some caaaasssshh!! And then im gonna continue my begging of hand-me-downs from Jim. smug.gif

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 12:12

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:12 PM · edited Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:12 PM

When I get tired of them Andreas...can ya wait 20-30 yrs? ;))

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 12:12

Zacko ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:17 PM

I guess...innocent.gif

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:32 PM

file_309114.jpg

quick shot of my 500...with IS showing IS modes i and ii...yes, its on auto focus 'cos at the time, was using servo on cam.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 12:57 PM

Man, that looks like serious artillery there, industrial hardware. I'm drooling with lens envy. ;]

Zacko ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 1:01 PM

That look like something i would have imagined the Storm troopers walked around with. #:O)

Andreas

Mystic Pic

3DGuy ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 1:05 PM

The IS can't cope with movement in 2 directions at one time ofcourse. So when shooting a band for instance, you'll get a sharp stage, but the artist will still be blurry. IS/VR is great if you know it's limits ;)

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 1:11 PM

No limits imo...I have sharp pictures either way when I have forgotten to turn switch modes! Depends on what level of photographic skills one is at!

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 1:23 PM · edited Fri, 02 December 2005 at 1:30 PM

So when shooting a band for instance, you'll get a sharp stage, but the artist will still be blurry.

Due to a number of things...mainly focusing!...but not due to IS!!!!

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 13:30

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 3:31 PM

I was about to say that Jimbo!! ;) It all depends how u use the lens! ;)

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 3:56 PM

IS helps...but ya still gota work at the shots :)

coolj001 ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 6:53 PM · edited Fri, 02 December 2005 at 6:55 PM

I have the Konica-Minolta 5D and the anti-shake seems to work as advertised, but I wouldn't really know because I have yet to turn it off lol. I also have the Panasonic Lumix with anti-shake and it does work well. It seems the Panasonic's anti-shake system is more effective than the Minoltas, especially at maximum zoom range. Maybe I just shake more holding the Minolta because it intimidates me(or because it's quite a bit heavier)

According to the Konica Minolta 5D manual there are a few lens compatibility limitations although I do wonder about the last statement regarding "another manufacturer":

"All Konica Minolta AF lenses are compatible with this camera. MC and MC series lenses cannot be used....
The AF Macro Zoom 3X - 1X f/1.7-2.8 cannot be used with Anti-Shake; turn Anti shake off. If a lens is equipped with a macro release, the release cannot be used with Anti-Shake. Focus range limiter on the SSM-series or D-series macro lenses can be used at any set range. Anti-Shake may not work with products made by another manufacturer."

Message edited on: 12/02/2005 18:55

thundering1 ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 8:11 PM

I've got the Nikkor 24-120 VR lens for my Nikon (obviously, huh?). Love it! The big deal is actually a little more subtle - camera tests (for "with or without tripod" - not VR, IS, AS technology) showed that a product shot (with studio strobes, Hasselblad set to 1/500th sec shutter speed) handheld STILL had a little camera shake. Put it on a tripod, and it was as sharp as the proverbial tack. The VR/IS lenses compensate for a little camera shake that is natural to general handheld shooting, and can even get great results down to 1/15th or 1/8th sec shutter speeds. Posted situation above: If you're shooting a band on an interior stage, the "stage" will be sharp, but the band will be out of focus because THEY are moving - get it? Final note/caution: I used to work for a camera store and was in charge of handling repairs. It was pretty consistent that the more "in camera" specialties, the quicker they were to be the first things to break down. Example - little point&shoot cameras that have the built-in electronically controlled lens caps that slide in and out of the camera body (turn it on, it opens, turn off, it closes)? Broke all the time. So, generally, while I love Konica/Minolta (got 2 of their scanners - things of beauty!) I'd be weary of a camera that had the AS system built in. Sounds like you have to buy all new lenses as well.

3DGuy ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:54 PM

"Posted situation above: If you're shooting a band on an interior stage, the "stage" will be sharp, but the band will be out of focus because THEY are moving - get it?" That is exactly my point ;) You can either compensate for your own motion (shake) or the motion of the performer. You can't do both. Shooting say.. an stationary animal with a long lens and low shutter speeds then it's an asset.

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2005 at 2:49 AM

"Posted situation above: If you're shooting a band on an interior stage, the "stage" will be sharp, but the band will be out of focus because THEY are moving - get it?" Surely, that is due to bad photography skills? Personally, I would be focusing on the band! >Shooting say.. an stationary animal with a long lens and low shutter speeds then it's an asset Again, do not agree!!! Mode ii IS is used for panning!!! Not sure what camera your shooting with but I use a 1D Mk ii and the 5D coupled with EF 500mm...very very capable at capturing all types!!!

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2005 at 8:06 AM

I like the idea of gaining a couple of stops..then I could shoot offhand at 1/125 and get a steady image.. LOL, not the steadiest hold here! I do see great potential in macros using natural light and with the teles.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.