Sun, Sep 22, 5:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: More problems with Poser import into Carrara 5 Pro

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 8:29 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 6:15 PM

file_312108.jpg

Here is another issue worthmentionning. I am curious to hear if anyone has encountered the same behavior. I loaded a pz3 file with Native import. The file imported correctly except for the pose, which was lost once again. I turned on OpenGL preview and set the display mode to Textured. Now, each time I click on the skin of the character (to select a part of the skeleton for example), the textures start cycling throughout the whole character. Here is an example of the result after a few clicks. I found the same behavior with V3 so far... I haven't tried other models.

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 8:33 PM

One precision.... it is happening when you click on the skin of the character if you miss the bone or the node of the skeletion. Clicking on the skeleton itself doesn't affect the textures. Going into another room and coming back to the model resets the textures to the way they should be. For the technical details, I have a radeon X800. I will try to update the drivers and see if that has any impact.

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 13 December 2005 at 11:38 PM

Updating my video drivers didn't help. I tried loading yet another pz3 file. This time, I lost both pose and morphs. I am not a happy camper so far...

Nicholas86 ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 12:59 AM

Give it a little time. These bugs always seem to appear after release and Eovia always releases a patch to fix it. Just report the bug and be patient.

GrantMH ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 7:07 AM

I hate coming across a bug in new software but in the words of the creepy evil program dude in the Matrix, "it is inevitable." I think the model for release in all 3D aps is a little different than other applications. Although there's a rather large 3D community it's miniscule compare to say the Adobe, or Macromedia community (now one and the same).

Not everyone has the "gumption" to take on learning these complex aps so I'm guessing the number of potential customers hits a ceiling pretty quick and is slower to grow. That means that 3D companies have to release upgrades along a pretty tight schedule because they probably rely on return customers at a higher proportion to new customers than do other kinds of aps.

Also, just the nature of what 3D aps do means they must be super, super complex under the hood. More and more they are designed to work in conjunction with other complex aps so the sync of the two leaves lots of room for mistakes.

These 2 things means that, IMHO, most 3D aps release upgrades with more bugs than other aps because they just can't financially afford to have longer release cycles to work out all the bugs. Something we just have to grin and bare and hope we don't get stuck with a situation like the Maxwell folks did.

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 7:25 AM

I am aware of that and I am not complaining. I know it is unfortunate and that I have to be patient. I just wanted to bring these things up and see if it is just me or if it affects other people. That in itself can help resolving the issue.

GrantMH ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 7:40 AM

Didn't think you were complaining. I'm just bored so I've been runnin' my big mouth a lot lately. Actually, I appreciate that you and anyone else posts the bugs they find. Bob from Eovia posted here recently so it seams they actually look to see what their customers say about their product. The more vocal we are when we find bugs, the more responsive the mfg can be. It helps the users and the software authors when people post their bugs. I wonder if it helps them if we post our hardware config, OS etc. stats along with the bug.

GrantMH ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 7:47 AM

You probably know this already, but in addition to posting the bugs we find here so other users know about it, Eovia has a place to report bugs on their site.

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 8:33 AM

Where on their site exactly ? All I could find was an email address that I got here on Renderosity. I couldn't find anything on their site.

GrantH ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 9:31 AM

http://www.eovia.com/support/support.asp

In the white area of the main html page body you'll see the page is divided by horizontal tabs one on top of the other

Horizontal Tab 1: "technical support"
Horizontal Tab 2: "FAQs"
Horizontal Tab 3: "Bug Report"

steama ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 12:25 PM

I think it is great you are posting your bugs agiel. I think it really helps the whole Carrara community. I wish you all the luck. Stan

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 12:59 PM · edited Wed, 14 December 2005 at 1:14 PM

Can't believe I missed that.... thanks ! I submitted my bugs.

Message edited on: 12/14/2005 13:14

GrantMH ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 1:28 PM

g.

LCBoliou ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 2:26 PM · edited Wed, 14 December 2005 at 2:27 PM

Yes..send Eovia details to their "Bug Report" address. In the past they have been quite responsive, and usually will create about 2 patches within a couple of months of releasing a new revision. They often include a few little new bonus features along the way.

Thanks Agiel, I've been focusing on layering in terrain and distributions -- so far things are looking pretty good. I know they updated Transposer code quite a bit, and native Poser import is new for Carrara, so that is likely a good place to find bugs.

Message edited on: 12/14/2005 14:27

glought ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 9:39 PM

I had three things happen with an image like this. My first was with the video driver and card. The second was with trying to move an old character from Poser 5 up to Poser 6 or the other way around. I wound up removing all of the old mapping from Poser 5 and re-linking it in Poser 6 it was easer.I then imported it back into Carrara 5. (Poser SP2 had to be installed for this to work.) The third was with the available system memory after opening Poser, Carrara and other applications. This one was and easy fixes after a reboot to clear the memory chips but the manual states not to open other apps at the same when using either time and I find this to be true. They do not clear themselves from memory after closing the application. (There is nothing like having you kids standing next to you with a character rendering with no close on. :o) Hope this helps. George

ren_mem ( ) posted Wed, 14 December 2005 at 10:09 PM

Regarding memory issues what os do you use? If you close a program and it doesn't give memory back in xp something is wrong. Really should not be seeing leaks.Programs that don't actually quit is a no-no also. I have seen adobe reader do this...tho I think it is on purpose to load quicker. If you bring up the task manager and kill it if the app or process is loaded should let go.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Sat, 24 December 2005 at 1:18 PM

Just thought I'd mention I'm having the same porblem with the loss of pose as well as morphs on import. I've noticed it happens almost everytime I deselect import animation.... it's a pain... but I still love c5 Christina

Christina -- "Love me but don't tell me so" Lilly Bart

My Art

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.