Tue, Sep 24, 1:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:33 pm)

Subject: Any reviews yet for 'Practical Poser 6' by Denise Tyler?

WinterRose ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 4:10 AM ยท edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 1:21 PM

I've waited most of the year for this to go to press. Now that is seems to be available for sale on Amazon, and that Christmas has come and gone, I figure some folks in this hyahh community have given or recieved it as a gift. From the likes of folks that use poser every day, not some bookseller, I'd like your opinions as to the book's usefulness. I'm coming into this with very little to no poser experience, but a lot of preparation for the day when I can get cracking on a couple of large projects I have in mind. (Witness my huge categorized freebie directory!) Would this book be the thing to finally get me started in the right direction when it comes to getting a grip on the arcane interfaces that make up Poser?

mickmca ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 5:13 AM

If Denise T's book is available on Amazon, it must have happened in the last 24 hours, because it was noted yesterday on my Wish List as "Not yet released." I'm checking now, and it's still unavailable. I intend to buy it the moment it appears. My only reservation about the book is the publisher, who inflicted us for years with The Poser #.0 Handbook. But Tyler is a serious Poser user, artist, vendor, and professional writer with books on other subjects to her credit, and I will shocked rather than disappointed if the book is not an excellent beginner's resource. The other book worth having is B. L. Render's Secrets of Figure Creation. It throws you into the deep end of the pool, but doesn't just leave you there to save yourself. While not for beginners, it's not written to exclude them, like so many "expert" books. And the subject (making your own figures) may not sound like one you'll be ready for soon, but trust me, if you once you get a feel for Poser, you'll be thinking about it. Poser 6 Revealed got enough press for mediocrity that I skipped it. The reviews at Amazon, by both Poser newbies and a few experts, make it sound pretty thin. I don't need another book that tells me I can save files with the Save menu... and then walks me through the process. Another excellent but dated book is Richard Schrand's Poser 4 Pro Pack f/x and Design. Worth getting from a remainder bin. Amazon sells it new for $49 (one of the disadvantages of dealing with a store stocked by a computer), but used for $5 - $10. The best way to learn Poser, if you have a broadband connection, is to track down Dr. Geep's tutorials on this site. They are also available as downloads on some other sites. They are huge, graphic-based, and a great combination of humor and knowledge. Enjoy, M

WinterRose ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 6:26 AM

Ugh. My mistake. A few days ago I checked amazon, and they were saying DT's book had been released. M'really hankering to get started. I've been to Geep's site. And no slight on Geep, but I really need me some pressed dead tree in my hand to flip through for this one. Geep's site only served to whet my appetite for an honest to goodness textbook.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 6:49 AM

lol Winter pressed dead tree, I love it! Grab BL Render's book well worth it. And as far as what mick just said ditto. If you downloaded it and got the pdf manual you might want to print out just what you are working on so you can write your note on it. That's what I did with the older pdf's they had out. Also hit the Daz site, they have some pretty nice tutorials as well as runtimedna. Marque

mickmca ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 7:36 AM ยท edited Wed, 28 December 2005 at 7:39 AM

whet my appetite for an honest to goodness
textbook.
Sigh. Somebody is still making those? I know what you mean. A big selling point for me is the weight of a 3D software box. If there isn't a hefty manual in there, then I'm not interested. As we used to say about Macs back in the old DOS days (before MS became Mac Lite, even before 'Bob'), "Intuitive means 'comes with an 800 number.'" Hands-on learning is great, but without a layer of internalized knowledge, intelligently compressed into words, it's slow going.

Of course, hefty's no guarantee of useful, or even of coherent. The Poser manual is actually pretty good, I think; another reason the "Revealed" alternate manual is redundant. But I've been itching to speak up about a major product I will never use (I recently bought a competitor, and won't be looking back) because the manual was translated into some simulation of English. I worked in the translation industry for years, and we took pride in treating target languages with respect and intelligence. Shoddy translation is insulting.

Literacy is not perfect. But it's better than the alternatives.

M

Message edited on: 12/28/2005 07:39

DCArt ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 9:37 AM

My apologies, everyone ... during the writing of the book my mother became seriously ill and we almost lost her. That put a delay in the book schedule. It will be coming very soon, as it has gone to press. I'm not sure how long it takes to process all those dead trees though. 8-D

pizazz ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 9:46 AM

Wooot... I just went to Amazon and looked and my wing textures are on the cover. THANK YOU DENISE. Ordering it after the first of the month.

DCArt ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 9:56 AM

Oh no!! The cover image got changed at the last minute ... they selected an image by Audre, which had more generic appeal. 8-( The CD is chock full of great stuff, too ... the folks in the Poser community were very generous in helping out. There are goodies from e-Frontier, DAZ, RDNA, Sixus 1, The Forge, and a big surprise. 8-D

WinterRose ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 11:37 AM

Indeed! Sorry to hear about your mum. M'glad to hear she's relatively okay. Thanks for letting us know what's up with your book. ^_^

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 5:34 PM

I had the pleasure of intially reading some parts of this manual, and I can say, without qualm or hesitation, that it is the best of its class, and makes up for the publisher's previous errors. In spades. This book will be where I point people when they ask those common questions going forward in the forums. IT's that good. If I could, I'd sell it on the street corners.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

DCArt ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 5:37 PM

(Blush) ... Thanks Elle, you da best! 8-)

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 5:58 PM

lol nah, not me :) I didn't write it -- you did :)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

DigitalDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 11:32 AM

I just ordered it from Amazon and they say deleivery will be between mid January and early February

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 11:33 AM

Just to update everyone ... the book was released last week, so Amazon should be getting it soon.

WinterRose ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:00 AM

Sweet. The deliver dates from amazon on my order read between the 23rd and the 28th. I'm watching my front porch like a hawk.

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 9:30 AM

A review is now up on Amazon for the book, in case anyone is interested.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:51 AM

Is there a direct link to the review that you can share? I don't ever go to Amazon and don't know the navigational routes through them at all.

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 10:55 AM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1584504439

Sure ... try this!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2006 at 11:29 AM ยท edited Tue, 07 February 2006 at 11:30 AM

Thanks Deecy. Just bought mine and can't wait to get it! Oh, and I guess I have been to Amazon.com because I had an account to log into already. I just don't know when I last ordered anything from them.

Message edited on: 02/07/2006 11:30

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.