Sat, Sep 21, 5:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Info on doing blood effects - pooling, splatter and then draining, etc...?

arcady ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2006 at 3:00 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 1:30 AM

Anyone know of good tutorials or other info on doing blood effects? Carrara, photoshop, illustrator, whatever... Specifically I need to do four sorts: 1. Splattered against a wall and then draining down, as from someone lined up against that wall and shot. 2. Pooling around a body - so I need to design a good ground texture. 3. The logical appearance of a gunshot injury to the head... 4. I also need to do a particle generation of an injury happening at the moment of render. For this I am assuming I can just flip on the particle generator, correct? Can the results of that be exported as an obj or other format? Last time I used particle gen in a full scene it crashed Carrara, and this time I have 8 poser figures, a panzer tank, and the courtyard of a building... For the first three I'm assuming something I put together in photoshop or illustrator, that I then use as a 'terrain map' in Carrara. Sound like a good way to do it? I just need adivce on drawing it right... :) I don't tend to do violent images, but in this case I'm working on a war scene...

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

Ringo ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2006 at 9:37 PM

Attached Link: http://www.eovia3d.net/showthread.php?t=5165&highlight=snowballs

Hi, Maybe the snow splat effects done over in that link could help you do something similar in C5 for the blood.

arcady ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 1:35 PM

file_329986.jpg

The particle generator worked well for me, using metaballs to get a 'fluid' look. Unfortunately the final item is in the background of my image for that one... so barely visible unless I put a spotlight on it (still debating this). I used a plane with an image map in it for a splatter on a wall, and I haven't yet managed to get the 'blank' parts of the image map fully transparent, but I don't expect a problem with this (I didn't know about it until I did a render just before going to bed last night). I experimented with running the particle generator against a wall and seeing what clumped onto the wall, but I didn't get the effect I wanted and figured it would be too much hassle to adjust it until I could (I think I could with very small metaballs, shot in extremely high number, like a mist - but the poly count on that might not be worth the result). Instead the the image map was made in photoshop with some 'scatter' brushes and a wacom tablet... :) Attached is my project so far. For the blood on the ground, I just did mountain terrain maps with 'zero edge' and plateau filters.

Renderosity Gallery

arcady ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 4:06 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1168211&Start=1&Artist=arcady&ByArtist=Yes

Final image is now posted at the link. In the end the splatter against the wall had to be converted to a terrain map based upon the photoshop image - but that was due to a Carrara problem with transparent planes... It was refusing to make the planes transparent when I used sky lights or ambient occlusion. The photoshop work was critical in getting the shape down, but I would have preferred to be able to use the plane over a terrain map for the vertical splatter. Given the fog and spotlights, I did not feel comfortable trying to handle it post render...

Renderosity Gallery

ren_mem ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 6:57 PM

Arcady, there are now 2 places you must check light thru transparency(as of 5.03). Are you sure you checked both places when you rendered?

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

ren_mem ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 7:08 PM

file_329987.jpg

See.

Just make it invisible.

arcady ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 12:55 AM

Yes I checked both the one under 'raytracing' and the one under 'global illumination'. It did not help. I even turned off casts and recieves shadows for the object itself.

Renderosity Gallery

whkguamusa ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 3:46 AM

It seems to work fine here. maybe you can put up the blood part of this scene for someone to take a look at. Are you PC or Mac? wayne k guam usa

ren_mem ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 9:44 AM

Cast and recieve shouldn't matter. If that didn't help then maybe there could be a color issue w/ the alpha file, I assume the alpha map was in the alpha channel. I would say post what you got to see if we can spot something. It should work.

Just make it invisible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.