Wed, Sep 18, 4:15 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Ever post a Gallery Image then have second thoughts?

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 6:13 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 4:08 PM

Ever post a Gallery Image then have second thoughts? I have and did yesterday. I know why: The shot was one of a cat who lives here and I love the cat so much the "symbol" of the shot overcame my better judgment of image quality. I suppose, it came down to liking the cat, liking the shot and posting the shot "for the cat". My attachment to the subject matter was stronger than my discipline in image quality! Imagine that! The shot was part of a series of "home shots" for a personal album, not intended for 'rosity posting. So be it... Those who view my gallery will see several such slips and I have a hard time deleting those. The odd mix of images will provide a few hopefully in which others will find some value. For me, as stated on my "artists page", the gallery covers the raw beginnings to what is there now, including some much better shots. My gallery lets me see what I thought was great before and see some embarassment in that now. It allows me to judge a growth of sorts in photography. So, do you have images you take a look at the next day and ask, "Why did I post that like that?"

azy ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 6:52 PM

I always have second thoughts but then I think f**k it who cares

Eggiwegs! I would like... to smash them!

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 6:58 PM

azy...we each are our own judge here..you like it, you post it.

kimariehere ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 8:13 PM

sometimes i edit my work like 5 times lol..or uhm i put it up and realise others are looking then gulp did i put up a real bad one ... lol i often hit the delete button when i look at it whenits up and go EWWW WHAT THE HECK!! thats crap!!... lol i am hard on myself i think most of us are.. its normal i think...to second guess epe if your a perfectionist!

kimmers ♥ :O)

jocko500 ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 8:22 PM

many times i did think why i posted this image. For I thought it was a super image going to knot the people off they feet. Going to get a lot of veiws but the next day I look and see no many people looked at it. Then I posted images thinking not many people will look at this image but I post it anyway to show them what i doing [most the time crazy stuff] and I sirprize to see a lot of people looked. A singer friend of mine say the same thing happens to him too. He thinks the song he sings will be a hit but then it not and the one that is a hit he did not think it was good. Remind me of a story. Gene Authar[ misspelled]was given a song to sing at a stuto where he was recording some songs. He looked and read the song then he say "Record" He sang the song one time and told them that was the best that song was going to get. He did not think it was going anywheres. That song is now world wide and it was "Redosf the red nose raindeer" So post what you wish. I posted a lot of bad ones and I keep them in my gallery to show others what I doing and maybe show them what not to do.

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 8:31 PM

jock, I like that down to earth thought you posted..."So post what you wish. I posted a lot of bad ones and I keep them in my gallery to show others what I doing and maybe show them what not to do." So very true. I do the same thing and wonder. I don't post to "try to show what not to do" but sometimes it comes out that way. Oh well, such is this life we live. We do what we do and the way we do it. Thanks.

soulofharmony ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 4:13 AM · edited Fri, 24 March 2006 at 4:26 AM

yeah often think why did l post that !!! did this week with those muscovy ducks..so incrediably ugly ..but abit like azy too...apart from l think.. why the diddley !!!
a few l wish l hadnt of posted...!!!!
but alittle like you too Tom it Judges Growth..!!! plus l use it also for other reasons..A) portfolio B) a journal of my philosophical thoughts in nature and self..((L know bizzare)) but nice to look back and think l remember the connection l had at the time..and thoughts yeah deep deep thinker !!!..plus sense of achievement especially with birds and wildlife..and C) plus my husband loves looking through the my gallery when away trying to solving world crisis's,(family joke) and of course always e-mails his critique or praise or what ever or what ever one of his colleagues think , and its away him feeling closer to home.. plus nice to show friends and other members of the family.
My uploads are not always my best.. but to me they say something personal..and a mark for improvement in the future..!!!!

but at the end of the day ..main thing is self contentment in what you are posting and achieving..and lovely to look back..!!!!......and just the fun !!!!!!!!....

dont think anyone has full confidence in their own work....!!!!!!!! nikki:)

Message edited on: 03/24/2006 04:16

Message edited on: 03/24/2006 04:26

I Discovered the secret of the sea in mediation upon the dewdrop ... Sand and Foam Gibran

<a href="http://www.soulofharmonyphotographics.org/">Visit My Website</a>

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 8:02 AM

I usually make it all the way to third and fourth thoughts...rarely am I so sure of an image to I have no questions as to whether I want to really put it in my gallery. This is especially true if only a few comments trickle in. If I just wanted to put my best face forward, I'd probably have to weed out over half my gallery. But still, it is your gallery and a personal choice. Just like not posting an image is a judgement call. My gallery is kind of a "what interests me at the time" kind of thing, and I enjoy looking back and seeing what I was focusing on at the time, and what people had to say about it. Just go with your gut, and have fun.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

tofi ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 8:23 AM

Hello , I am relatively new here but definitely "steady camper" getting a lots of pleasure and inspiration from all of your postings (pictures) .All of you are Artists and as such you are communicating to the rest of us not only your technical skills but YOUR vision...interest....mood...and most of all ... piece of your heart !!!!!! For all of that, we as viewers, are very grateful to YOU. Hugs, Belatofi

A smile is a curve that has set many things straight

Zacko ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 8:49 AM · edited Fri, 24 March 2006 at 8:51 AM

Awww! Thats a nice thing of you to say Belatofi. And welcome to the forum i might add. #:o)

I think all of us has at one point or another regretted uploading a particular image. When i first started out with photography, i relied way too much on the feedback. And even though i never deleted a photo just cause i got bad reviews, i still felt like i wanted to. Later on i have deleted a few of my early ones though...cause frankly...i was ashamed of them, lol. But even on those, i have still made sure to make a screendump so that i dont lose any nice comments i might have gotten. #:O) Now however i upload photos i personally like, not because i think someone else might like it. Then theres always a few that youre just not sure of....and on them you kinda pray it wont get trashed too badly, lol.

Message edited on: 03/24/2006 08:51

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 8:50 AM

Thanks for that Belatofi! =]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

LostPatrol ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 8:54 AM

Yeh most of my uploads, although maybe the mos5t interesting thing is, that I sometimes get a big response for something that I am 50/50 about, and then something that I think is really good hardly attracts any attention at all, just goes to show, it is so much a matter of taste.

The Truth is Out There

Margana ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 11:21 AM

Thanks Tofi.That's very sweet to say to everyone...and encouraging! As to your question,Tom:I never really know what to post...I guess I'm a bit like Simon that way. When I first started here,I just posted whatever I had in my files that I liked.I thought,hey,this is okay,I'll upload it.I had no concerns about quality,resolution,etc...just posted for fun.But as more people started to look at my uploads,and I started to see such wonderful work here,I became choosier and thought more carefully about what I was possibly 'wasting' people's time with.I began to feel a sense of responsibility,to show my very best efforts only...otherwise,I didn't feel I deserved to ask for comments...The plus side to this,is that now my gallery shows some improvement as time passes. But there came a downside with it.As I improved,and learned more and more what constitutes a good image,I got to the point where my goals were higher than my actual skills.Most things didn't look 'good enough' because I wanted them to be 'perfect',something I realise is unreasonable to expect at my level.So it became a catch22.I began to post less frequently...and then when I did,questioned whether almost anything was 'good' enough.I would say I am actually 'happy' with about 30 % of whatever I post,and truly confident about almost none...I almost always think I could have done better... :^( Therefore,the forum has been wonderful for me.There have been a few occasions where I've been asked why that image I uploaded isn't in my gallery,and it's usually because I thought it wasn't good enough.So when I hear that,I at least realise maybe I was wrong about that one.It helps me 'see things' more clearly to be here,to get that kind of feedback. Anyway,sorry for the loooooong ramble.You just have happened upon a big issue for me,with this...Heck!I even have a pic in my gallery called 'Performance Anxiety' talking about this very thing! Okay,lol,I'll be quiet now! ;^D

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 6:17 PM

Wow, what honest and "to the heart" responses. I am thrilled and enlightened. Belatofi, your remarks are inspiring and encouraging, I am sure to all. Margana, you said, "...There have been a few occasions where I've been asked why that image I uploaded isn't in my gallery,and it's usually because I thought it wasn't good enough..." I got caught in that and perhaps still am, the twist between what the heart speaks and the "technical quality" of the shot. Sure, I want the technical part to be the best I can do but sometimes where the image outweighs my efforts...efforts frankly which are sometimes seen as inadequate in technical ways by me, after posting! There is a good and positive pressure to produce well-done photography. This is the spur keeping me going. And, there is the artistry..both work together in the best of images we see. Both work together so well we do not separate the technical from the artistry as all blends into one wonderful shot. I have posted at least one like this(my opinion) and keep trying to find that combination of art not degraded by lack of technical ability...or good technique wasted on mundane and uninterestng subjects. We still have our "home" albums...that is life and memories we will keep here as long as we are and hope to pass down. Even out "family" albums and shots are better now due to seeing what is really good done by the very skilled in both artistry and technique. Alas...I have prints everywhere and not enough frames! ; )

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2006 at 6:18 PM

Wow, what honest and "to the heart" responses. I am thrilled and enlightened. Belatofi, your remarks are inspiring and encouraging, I am sure to all. Margana, you said, "...There have been a few occasions where I've been asked why that image I uploaded isn't in my gallery,and it's usually because I thought it wasn't good enough..." I got caught in that and perhaps still am, the twist between what the heart speaks and the "technical quality" of the shot. Sure, I want the technical part to be the best I can do but sometimes where the image outweighs my efforts...efforts frankly which are sometimes seen as inadequate in technical ways by me, after posting! There is a good and positive pressure to produce well-done photography. This is the spur keeping me going. And, there is the artistry..both work together in the best of images we see. Both work together so well we do not separate the technical from the artistry as all blends into one wonderful shot. I have posted at least one like this(my opinion) and keep trying to find that combination of art not degraded by lack of technical ability...or good technique wasted on mundane and uninterestng subjects. We still have our "home" albums...that is life and memories we will keep here as long as we are and hope to pass down. Even out "family" albums and shots are better now due to seeing what is really good done by the very skilled in both artistry and technique. Alas...I have prints everywhere and not enough frames! ; )

tofi ( ) posted Sat, 25 March 2006 at 8:33 AM

file_336000.jpg

Hello, I am not asking for any comments on my pic (I know ...long way...) This is just my way to say THANK YOU to all of you for creating and sharing your work with us viewers. Hugs, Belatofi

tofi ( ) posted Sat, 25 March 2006 at 8:35 AM

file_336001.jpg

Thank You All Belatofi

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.