Fri, Sep 20, 6:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Problem importing a clothing figure from Poser

Daz1971 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 1:32 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:53 AM

file_338146.jpg

Hi all. I have just started using Carrara, and I'm having problems importing a particular figure from Poser. The figure is Michael's Changing Fantasy Suit (MCFS) from DAZ, which features a ChangePart parameter that allows you to change between three distinct clothing styles. The problem is that Carrara seems to ignore this parameter. No matter what I set the ChangePart to, Carrara always loads the figure's default style (ie. ChangePart = 0). I hoped to find ChangePart in Carrara's list of Morph Targets for the imported object, but it's not there.  *cries*  Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I'm using the native import, not TransPoser.

Attachment 1 shows the default style when the figure is first loaded into Poser.

Daz1971 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 1:33 AM

file_338147.jpg

Attachment 2 shows what it looks like when I set ChangePart to 1 in Poser.

Daz1971 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 1:34 AM

file_338148.jpg

And attachment 3 shows how it imports into Carrara. Note the vest-like appearance of the top.

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:06 AM

From what I read--hope Iam wrong-- often,to get proper imports of Daz stuff into Carrara you first have to load the Daz stuff into Poser  then save in Poser for Carrara.

bwtr

Daz1971 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:10 AM

Thanks for the reply bwtr. Unfortunately that is already what I'm doing. I've been saving the scene as a Poser file, and then importing the Poser file into Carrara. It just ain't working right.  :(

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 3:11 AM

Have you tried importing using transposer. that works but then you can't change the pose except in poser then click on the little spanner thing in carrara with the poser object highlighted and it will allow you to reimport your new pose. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

ren_mem ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:44 PM · edited Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:47 PM

Did you try just loading the raw figure file cr2 from daz then bringing in the other items seperately thru the gen tab import options ? Like top, hair etc.... One thing I am not sure about are magnets either. They can cause issues in other programs besides poser. I know D|S supports them if you have deformer plugin. I haven't seen much info on carrara's support of magnets so that may be an issue. It might be a transmap confusion w/ the maps so I would check the alpha maps also and trans channel settings, but try bringing them all in from the ground up w/o poser.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 4:24 PM

I don't know what DS has to do with Importing from Poser to Carrara, must be missing a post.

Have you tried creating your figure with all the clothes and props and save the whole thing as a new CR2? Import that Cr2? Just something different to try.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 5:46 PM

file_338237.jpg

Proof that my theory works. Guess it's not a theory anymore. Not bad for someone who only had the program less than 2 weeks.

I posed Race Queen in Carrara from poser zero pose. My complete Cr2 imported with bones and the clothes posed with the figure. Now if I can just find a way to get the phonems to work, I will do the snoopy dance.

Daz1971 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 6:03 PM

Thanks for all the tips everybody, but unfortunately none of them are working for me. I just tried using the General tab's Import button, and also tried saving the "morphed" figure as a CR2 in Poser and importing that, but they are all still coming across in the default ("un-morphed") style. It doesn't appear to be a transmap issue, as changing the ChangePart parameter actually changes the figure's geometry.

The only way I've been able to get it to work in Carrara is by exporting the morphed figure from Poser as an OBJ, then importing the OBJ into Carrara. All I have to do then is fix all the materials. A bit painful, but it looks like I have no other choice.

I haven't tried Transposer yet, the main reason being that I don't have it!

By the way, the figure imports into Vue 5 without a hitch!

ren_mem ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 1:38 AM · edited Sat, 15 April 2006 at 1:39 AM

Quote - I don't know what DS has to do with Importing from Poser to Carrara, must be missing a post.

Have you tried creating your figure with all the clothes and props and save the whole thing as a new CR2? Import that Cr2? Just something different to try.

You might want to report this to eovia. It could be a bug.
DS was mentioned as a program that can utilize poser magnets, carrara did have problems with them I believe it doesn't support them, unless this has changed. Could be a problem with certain clothing or other items. Yes any cr2 can be imported into carrara, often people do this.

Just make it invisible.

ren_mem ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 1:55 AM

Quote -  Now if I can just find a way to get the phonems to work, I will do the snoopy dance.

Do you mean phonemes? Are you using mimic? If so that usually can just come in as a pz3 via the import options. May have to tweak key frames or adjust the actual frame rate. I would adjust the frame rate before importing to match the frame rate of the import. Lot's of keyframes so it can slow things down.

Just make it invisible.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 12:42 PM

DOH, I forgot an e.  I must have been  trying to figure out why the method I mentioned didn't  work for Daz 1971. Realized it's geometry switching. So hacking the Cr2 to use one geometry setting would work. That would still give you the ability to pose.

I qute often export the re-worked figure as a wave front object.. Rename it so it won't over write the original. Hack the CR2 to point to the new .obj.

As for using magnets. Create and use the magnets the way you want, then spawn them. and or use the method in paragraph 2. You can even save the magnets in your props folder so they can be used on the clothes. There is also the Tailor to transfer the now created morphs to the clothes, or use the method stated in paragraph 2.

That was the work aroud for DS when it first came out. Now they have the plug that does it for you. I don't waste much time with DS. It's only there because of Bryce and I hardly ever use it because of DS. Catch 22 thingy.

Mimic, again Doh, I have pro and forgot all about it. The 3.1 update, updated the version 2 to 2.1 and didn't upgrade my Mimic 3. Will need to DL the whole thing again and see if they fixed the installers.

Don't expect me to fix any spelling mistakes. I'll admit I'm not a great typist, but I can live with that.

ren_mem ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 10:09 PM

You can work around magnets, but if it isn't supported, obviously using them can be a problem. Magnets really don't get discussed. If there is a morph target issue or something else that is supposed to work it is good to report it. Always a bit hard to know w/o looking at the actual file instead of a pic.

D|S tho limited has awesome performance and now that the sdk is released w/ new version I expect more cool things to come. The bvh ease of use and performance is quite nice.

btw, I am not hung up on spelling...there are some here that are. 😉 To some extent it is a bit impractical w/ this type of communication. Simply wanted to make sure I understood you in the interest of helpfulness.

Just make it invisible.

Daz1971 ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 10:27 PM

Thanks beryld, exporting the changed figure as a Wavefront object and hacking the CR2 to point to the new .obj worked! So now I have a working solution.

It's a bit of a painful process though, so I think I'll end up buying Transposer to save the hassle.

Thanks again!
Darren

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 10:31 PM · edited Sat, 15 April 2006 at 10:37 PM

That's great you got it working. it may be a bit of work but doesn't cost you anything till you can afford Transposer.

I was just jking about the spelling thing.

I have been using magnets from the start of P4 then P5 and now P6. I have found so many work arounds for other apps that sometimes I forget the majority of Poser users stay away from them. I am also noticing that to many of the users want some else to do it for them instead of learning how to do it themselves. May be why I like modeling forums the best.

ren_mem ( ) posted Mon, 17 April 2006 at 12:46 AM

Daz1971,
Glad you got it working. I would recommend anybody getting carrara to work with poser figures get transposer. I would report it tho. That is the only way they know about some bugs.

Beryld,
Luckily the carrara grps don't tend to be that way (IMO). There is a fine line between efficiency and laziness 😉

Just make it invisible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.