Fri, Sep 27, 8:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Newbie questions ....

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 12:03 AM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 8:21 AM

I'm new with Vue.

Really, i'm updating from AutoCAD to VUE, you know: autocad very precise with lots of tools versus Vue with only the necessary ones, Vue managing atmospheres, radiosity, HDR, terrains, procedural plants, stones, etc. versus Autocad ... can actually render!

I'm liking VUE. But again, I have problems with the precision I'm used with Autocad.

I can't find an units system inside vue - I mean, how do I know what meassures has an object? I think it is somehow important since radiosity cares about the size of the model to make its calculations - or so I have read it works like that in programs like Lightscape and Artlantis. And i have had problems with units when exporting to other apps like 3dstudio or Sketchup.

I'll make it short:

1- How can I be sure the imported object measures the same that in my original model?
2.- When inserting rocks, it inserts rocks the size of a car! I don't want rocks that big! how do I set the size of the inserted rocks? (the same for plants and objects)
3.- I'm using Vue 5 espirit. When I first entered EON's site, I got amazed with the ecosystem feature - but I can't find ecosystem materials in my VUE copy. "Well -I thought-, not everything comes free in the life. I can learn how to do them". How do I define an ecosystem material or where can I get some?

hope somebody can help me. And sorry for my english, i'm also somehow new to it.

Thanks!

you're saying CG sunlight is actually based on a real thing????

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 8:11 AM

It's a bit hard to transition from AutoCad to Vue.  Vue does not use units, so everything it sized by relation.  For example, import a figure and place it next to a doorway, then adjust either the building or the figure to set the proper size.  If you are importing several items that need to be kept the same size, place them inside of a cube, and then import.  Delete the cube in Vue and now your objects will keep their size relationship.  Not perfect, but it works...

Rocks are big when created.  Just grab one of the handles and size it smaller.  There are no settings that will adjust the size of items on import or create.

Eco-systems are only in Vue 5 Infinite. 

Hope this helps!

Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 1:07 PM

awww....
all the good thing are in the Infinite :(
like exporting hdr skies, ecosystems, illumination backing, plant editor ....
I hate my vue espirit!
only thing i can do is laugh at those Vue easel users .... LOL!

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 1:13 PM

Yep...  Get even and and upgrade to Infinite! 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

jc ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 1:57 PM

You could always build a measuring stick/ruler in 3Ds Max (or whatever modeler you use), for example, from a stack of black and white 1 unit cubes, maybe in a 3 axis shape, and import that into Vue. Not very elegant, but maybe some help.

Leave it in your scene as a reference until you're done sizing stuff, then delete it.
Maybe make it into a Vue .vob model and offer it to others.

_jc  'Art Head Start' e-book: Learn digital art skills $19.95
'Art Head Start.com Free chapter, Vue tutorials, models, Web Tutorials Directory.

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 3:39 PM

Great!!! I like those kind  of creative solutions - Thanks jc!

Making a virtual ruler LOL!!

I used to do those kinds when plotting scales in Autocad.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 4:44 PM

TIP: there's a female model that comes with Vue, I use her as a standard scaling tool: import items, scale to her, assuming 1.5 metres height. Then save the items, so later on I cna load things at good scaling. Helps a lot

:)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 5:22 PM

Thanks for the support!!!!
now here's another question:
I'm trying to use image based lighting but VUE only comes with one hdr of some kind of plaza. I'm making a scene of a small house in a tropical environment. I'd like to HDR the environment but I can't find an appropiate map. Browsing the program I found other HDRs, including a sky one. But when I try it, my scene gets very dark, like in a cloudy day, not the kind of illumination a beach could have.

I have searched the net all day long for other HDRs but none fits what I need. When I read a post in this forum that you could do your own HDRs from athmospheres or scenes in VUE, I tried making my own from the "hot summer day" atmosphere that comes with VUE ...

but my VUE espirit can't do that, only Infinite can ...

I bought espirit 'cause EON's page says it is best suited for architects (just like me) but It does not cover all my needs .....................

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 5:24 PM

The other question is if there's a way to change exposures from both the HDR map and the final render ............

jc ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 5:30 PM

If you right-click on the camera in the objects list and choose 'Edit Object', you'll get a menu of post-processing options, like exposure changes (maybe again only in Vue5i?).

Shame they didn't recommend their most powerful product. What, architects don't need a full power tool? Maybe they though it was too much to learn?

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 5:35 PM

I preffer to think I'm more than an architect :thumbupboth:

Thanks! I'm trying ... btw, could you help me making that hdr from the "hot summer day" atmosphere I am wishing for from the begin of the day???

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 5:45 PM

Post-processing is another Infinite exclusive feature---------

any HDR map I use (but the ones included in VUE) is applied at its maximun exposure ... any way to change this?

jc ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 5:48 PM

Sorry, since i only have Vue 5i, it would be hard to know how to help you do it in a different version.
I learned HDRI/IBL (but not an expert) by following the tutorial in the Vue manual. Does your manual have a tutorial?

You can look in the 'Backroom' here for tutorials, search the Renderosity 'Tutorials > Offlsite Links list and check my online directory of Vue tutorials at my site. I don't have my own tutorial (yet) on HDRI use. You could also ask on the e-on registered user's forum and at e-on's Cornucopia 3D forum.

_jc  'Art Head Start' e-book: Learn digital art skills $19.95
'Art Head Start.com Free chapter, Vue tutorials, models, Web Tutorials Directory.

caranarq ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2006 at 5:51 PM

Somehow got results more or lees like I was searching for. Thanks for the support. I won't be taking your time for about a week or two.

Thanks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.