Tue, Oct 22, 10:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 8:28 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: P6 Question

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 12:42 AM · edited Tue, 08 October 2024 at 5:02 AM
Online Now!

Hi;
I'm hoping to pinch pennies until I get enough for P6.
I'm wondering about the runtime folders.
After losing loads of Poser goodies and image files, textures and photos to a disk failure or virus, I want to back everything up to DVD.
Now if I create a runtime folder with all my poser goodies in it, will it run right from the DVD in P6?
Or will it have to be put in the P6 directory?
It sure would save frustration and disk space if it can run right off the DVD.
Thanks for any information.
Blu

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 2:31 PM

I haven't tried that, as DVDs only hold 4.7 GB (or maybe it's 9.4), but it definitely works with external firewire drives. My guess is that it won't work with DVDs, as they're read-only, but I could be wrong.

PoseWorks ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 2:39 PM

You will run into issues with loading content off of DVDs, because paths are stored from the drive letter (ie, G:/Victoria3/Runtime/Geometries/DAZ/MilWom/blMilWom3.obj)

Unless the DVD with those necessary files on it was always in the drive, you would be unable to open scenes using content from any Runtimes off of the DVD. Poser may also throw errors when starting up if it can't find your DVD Runtime.

I would recommend using an external/portable hard drive rather than DVDs, and keeping the same drive letter mapped to the external drive.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 4:48 PM
Online Now!

Hmm, well guess i'll just use them as back-up and re-load to Poser as needed.
It was my external hard drive I lost.
I had forgotten about the path thing. Don't know where my mind is lately. Still hurting from that last loss I guess.
Had about 60gb of stuff there not including programs on it.
The prgrams I had on CDs and that's no prob. But I hadn't backed up eveything yet.
The actual loss was just to my texture librarie I had built up, photos and psd files.
I lost three character sets that were alomost ready for the MP. Now I have to do it all again.
This time around I'll back up every night.
Thanks for the info.
Blu

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

canwetalk ( ) posted Sat, 10 June 2006 at 8:58 PM

I have use a DVD for my Runtime folders before. Did not have any problems using it other than it was a little slow.
How I did it was after I made my DVD which had  several runtime folders...Animals-People-Props and so on...
Anyway after I made the DVD  I copied all the Geometries and Textures from the DVD into Poser.
It worked fine and I didn't have a lot of things inside of Poser. However as I said it did run a little slow in that way, but I also have an older slower DVD drive and not a lot of ram on my system.
Hope this helps

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.