Fri, Sep 20, 9:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Is Clark Worth Buying???

drafter69 ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 10:08 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:34 AM

Clark has been around for a bit of time now and yet there does not seem to be much support (add-ons) for the figure.       Is he worth the money?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 10:50 AM

I personally think the initial debackle over him scared some people off making stuff for him. I think it'll come. I remember several people saying they wanted to make stuff for him, and I reckon they're still working on it. Part of the problem is also that Shahara AFAIK didn't share it with any developers until it was in the store, so content creators also had to start at zero the day he came out.

And making proper clothes takes time, as does good textures.

Clark came out with an amazing texture which IMO is a must if you want him. And of course I have made a face morph pack for him.

Is he worth buying? That depends on what you want of course. He's limited in some ways, he's an ok character but there's nothing really groundbreaking about him.

Still, if you want diversity and a character that looks nothing, face-wise, like any other male characters, he's worth the (very modest) price.

I like him a lot. But then I love any new nmale for Poser ;o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 1:20 PM

For me I don't see the worth ... The head is different (which is good) but there is no content to make him a usuable figure (no morphs at all, not even able to open his mouth without outside morphs) and I think his look is too limited to be much of a huge draw to developers. It is a nice texture though.

plus3d ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 1:35 PM

file_342074.jpg

I really enjoy Clark. I already made two related products for him. He is a unique figure and have so much to be explored and this it´s a challange to any mearchant. That´s why I like to create to Clark.

:) Irlinda

Plus3D
My freebies at Renderosity - CLICK HERE :)

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 3:29 PM

Ghost you can't say there are no morphs anymore! There are TWO head morph packages out for him!  Two Clothing sets now too!

62 Head Morphs Here:
http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=45907

130 Head Morphs with Expressions Here:
http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=46150

Two Clothing Packs in this merchant's store:
http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=Yanelis

Do I love clark? No, Liike him? Hell Yes! He's different looking, inexpensive and Shahara did two fantastic photo realistic textures for him for under $14! That's low cost for Photorealistic textures!

Faery_Light ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 5:10 PM

If I hadn't lost my poser goodies, there would be two more new textures for him.
 Now I have to start all over.
I have re-downloaded everything from here and DAZ and some from 3dsk as well.
So I've started his tex set again.
I like working with him.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 5:10 PM

I know about those but I just mean with the figure. I don't really have much interest one way or another but the lack of general morphs puts me off somewhat.

Not meaning to knock anyones work or anything but the question was asked about what "we" thought and I answered.

arcady ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 6:27 PM

Inexpensive? What does a minimal figure come with? A basic figure, with expression morphs, a single low res texture, and maybe a few other simple morphs like the ever-favorite 'elf ears' that every figure seems to have hiding somewhere... What's that going to cost with Clark? The base figure has no morphs for even expressions. You have to pay more just to open his mouth. There is no low res 'cheap texture' - only high end pricey ones. At the end of the day, Clark might be more expensive than Apollo was...

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

pleonastic ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 6:59 PM

Is he worth the money? i never know how to answer such questions. :) i know what makes a product worth it for me, but how can anyone know where that point is for you without more information? what makes a figure worth it for you? what do you want to do with the figure? are you a do-it-yourself kind of poser user, and you'd enjoy making your own morphs, textures, and clothes? do you love being in the vanguard of experimenting with a new figure? then heck yes, a new figure at this price is probably worth it; you could get a lot of fun out of playing with him. do you buy everything ready-made? do you have trouble creating a realistic pose on your own? don't know how to use dynamic clothing? problems getting hair to fit on figures for which it wasn't made? then he's probably not worth it, and won't be for a while. somewhere in between? the stronger you are in adapting items you have to figures for which they were originally not designed, the more useful he could be for you. if it's all about the art, you're great at posing, and you paint your own clothes and hair anyway, sure, why not -- his different look might well be worth it if you like that look. are you a merchant and you are considering making products for him? then i can't answer the question, since i don't know enough about the financial aspects of poser merchandizing.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 11:26 PM

Please! For heaven' ssake, let's not get that dead comparison horse beaten to a pulp again! He's no comparison to AM in any way shape or form. As for cheap! Hell! AM was $90 when I bought him with a discount, ad Cole morphs, Clothes and textures. He's still 3 times as expensive as Clark.

carodan ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 6:16 PM

But you can do at least 3 times as much (if not a lot more) with him (AM that is).

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 7:39 PM

I used Clark before the morphs were available and wasn't very impressed.  There are freebie figures being released with more functionality (Project Human, Have, MayaDoll, M3/V3).  To release a figure for sale without any morphs and expect it to receive support is a real gamble (think back to the zygote human freebies).  If not for the separate textures or TrekkieGrrl's morphs, I would say that Clark isn't worth the investment.  Perhaps if he been a complete package, I might have a different view. 

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 5:22 AM

Quote - But you can do at least 3 times as much (if not a lot more) with him (AM that is).

Apollo is a much more versatile character, yes. But that's just not the point of this discussion.

You can do anything with Apollo. Except buy him anywhere...

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 1:51 PM · edited Wed, 17 May 2006 at 1:52 PM

The original poster asked, Is it worth it to buy Clark.

I have to say, that's really not a question anyone else can answer except them! What's a new male figure worth to you? What do you require from your base figures, what's your wallet spending limit on addons? You're gonna get a lot of heated debating nonsense with the damn AM VS Clark comparisons because people are still fuming over that last fiasco. Debate is neither needed or wanted again here.

Clark is a good unique Male character for only $9.95 + $12.95 for not one but two High rez textures. 130 Morphs from TG for $8.99 and 62 Head morphs from Outoftouch for $9.95. Two basic clothing sets for  $7.25 and $9.95. That's a grand total of $58.04 for a complete base character.

You guys wanna play the compare game? I paid $90 for Apollo max with his base morphs and that was with a $10 off coupon from CP. No Clothing to speak of and one base texture. You want decent morphs, you can spend another $ 16.95 for Cole's morphs. That put's Apollo Max at $106.95 with no clothes when I do the math!

Is Apollo worth it? Hell yes, he's a great figure too!  Is Clark worth his $58? Again, for what you get for the price. Hell yes. To Me! Now you need to decide what he's worth to you and everyone with an axe to grind needs to get over the recent fight and move on.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 3:31 PM

There's no longer an axe to grind.  Apollo is a non-issue.  The issue is that the base package is incomplete compared to a lot of the freebie human figures that are out there.

LilWolff ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 6:58 PM

I liked his face and ears so I got him. I did not know he could not open his mouth, my fault for not investigating, but didn't even think a figure would be sold with that limitation compared to what it out there and yes, what is free. Again I blame no one but myself but it was a real surprise!  

I have bought the base figure, the texture and Tg's morphs. I paid for the update to include the character in my Wardrobe Wizzard. I doubt very much if I personally will spend anymore on this character, I already went passed a personal limit that I set for him.

That does not mean I am not happy with the purchase, no morphs aside. He has a different look, more toonable (sp) to me, and it is nice to have a change, as I said, I liked his face. But he will not become one of my main male characters because of personal taste and his  limited posing ability, compared to what I am now use to. 

But also compared to the amount of time and money I have invested in female characters, Clark is really just a small drop in the bucket for a male figure change of pace.

drifterlee ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 7:03 PM

Personally, I think he's not very good looking, but that's a personal taste. There are so many handsome M3s out there, why bother?

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 11:37 PM

I got him but wish there was a less hairy texture for him. I wanted him because he looks different and also checked to make sure he was supported by WW which for another $4.95 he is. Haven't done anything yet, just got him tonight but I think in the long run he will be worth it. Hopefully he will get mimic compatiblity, but until then he will just be silent....lol

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:09 AM

Hummm WW isn't working on him, Phil you out there? Sending an email now hope to hear from him soon.

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:31 AM

Figured it out, just needed more coffee. Haven't used WW in a LONG time.   |8^)

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:35 AM

Marque, the morphs made by ernyoka1 make Clark Mimic 1 compatible. He should work with the later versions of Mimic as well.

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:37 AM

lol thanks just saw that and bought them.

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:39 AM

Anyone doing much with WW for him?

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:09 AM · edited Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:11 AM

file_342337.jpg

At the moment I'm testing ernyoka1's new morphs for James playing with the randomise button, so, no, not yet.

novelist999 ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:59 AM

Quote - Clark has been around for a bit of time now and yet there does not seem to be much support (add-ons) for the figure.       Is he worth the money?

I've been wondering the same thing.  I love the realistic textures that are out for him and those incredible eyes.  So I'll probably end up buying him.  I just wish there were more clothes, hair,  and poses for him.  I've been watching and waiting to see if any new products come out for him.  :-)

Bobette Bryan

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:09 PM

Ok, I was slightly wrong about TG's Morphs working with Mimic 1. I had to use Morph Manager to rename a few of them for Mimic 1, but I do know that later versions of Mimic alllow you to pick which morphs are assigned to which phenome.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:06 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:06 PM

Quote - Ok, I was slightly wrong about TG's Morphs working with Mimic 1. I had to use Morph Manager to rename a few of them for Mimic 1, but I do know that later versions of Mimic alllow you to pick which morphs are assigned to which phenome.

Oops.. I guess I should have checked with mimic instead of going from memory. And I actually tried it, but in Mimic3, and his lips moved... so I though everything was fine...

Which morphs did you have to rename, Mizrael? Might as well fix it then...

soulhuntre ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:16 PM

The Clark figure looks liek a good effort but I am not sure what advantages he has over the free version of M3.  Additionally - issues of the controversy aside - what I saw of his mesh (the join of the feet tot he legs, especially, didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the figure in general on a technical level. I don't think a topology liek that is goign to bend or pose well... and I think morphing it will be very hard.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:50 PM

Quote - At the moment I'm testing ernyoka1's new morphs for James playing with the randomise button, so, no, not yet.

Whoa I missed this one at first...

"Randomize button"?! Where?! I have Lyrra & Kattmann's Morph Randomizer, but... is there another one? Great character you've done there, He looks nothing like James :D

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:54 PM

Quote - The Clark figure looks liek a good effort but I am not sure what advantages he has over the free version of M3.  Additionally - issues of the controversy aside - what I saw of his mesh (the join of the feet tot he legs, especially, didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the figure in general on a technical level. I don't think a topology liek that is goign to bend or pose well... and I think morphing it will be very hard.

He doesn't have "advantages" as such other than... he looks different. And since people look different... it's a good thing in my book :o) I like to mix Apollo and M3 in a scene for the same reason. Or Don and James. Or Mike and James or even Vittorio and James...

Clark is actually very nice to morph, at least as far as I've been working on him, the mesh reacts just as it should. Appropriate number of vertices, not too heavy and not too low rez.

I don't know about the technical issues, I wouldn't know how to model something like Clark :o)

soulhuntre ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:43 PM

"I wouldn't know how to model something like Clark"

I am just starting down that road myself on a full, from scratch, human figure. But I have done a number of organic models and I am pretty immersed in the work of the folks who are really mastrs of this stuff. While in Poser I suppose it's less of an issue, the topology of a mesh really has a profound impact on how flexible it is later in life.

Much like reading the souce code for a program the lines of a mesh can tell you a lot about it's history, the process and even the people who built / wrote it.

I am probbaly just too picky about this stuff.

drafter69 ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 9:57 AM

After a lot of reading I've decided that for me, Clark would be a waste of money.  The pics I see of him are mostly close ups of his face or him nude in very static poses.  Even the pic of Clark pretending to fly like superman show his penis is not very posable.   I'll stick with characters that are more than "pretty".      I appreciate your input in helping make my decision. 

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 10:43 AM

Actually I think he will be a workable figure or I wouldn't have bought him. Not worried about posing his penis so that's not a worry for me. I mainly like having different looks for my characters and he fits that bill. I don't think he is of the same caliber as the Daz characters but given some work he will be a good figure in his own right. I still like Natalia because she does NOT look like a real human and sometimes that's just what I need. Everyone has their own opinion about models and I respect yours. I haven't had a chance to do more than 5 minutes in poser lately to even check him out completely but when I do I will see if I can post some pics for you.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 12:30 PM

I am sure for most Poser usases the mesh is fine - the bending and so on in Poser is pretty weak in general so mesh topology problems are not often as obvious as they are in other programs. Lately however I ahv ebeen working on learning all I can from the folks who do really good meshes that are usable in higher end programs it is very eye opening.

Looking at a really good mesh, by someone who worked ont he topology with skinning and rigging in mind and then looking at most fo the character emshes we use in Poser will give you nightmares. In Clarks case the problems are the stitching. Some body parts look liek they were just stitched oon... the vertex counts and topologies are so clearly different.

Meshes are like source code - they can tell you the history of something, and a lot about the peopel who make / wrote them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.