Mon, Oct 7, 6:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Hazy on a few points

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 11:21 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 6:21 AM

file_343472.jpg

I'm leaving my comfort zone and exploring the really quite nice real sky settings.  I've got to grips with sun placements and most of the atmosphere controls (even got tacky flares).  All very nice and do pretty much what I want the to do.  And I can't wait to play with the real world/time settings!!!

However, you'll notice that I have mist in the mid ground, but the horizon is mist free and indeed very sharp.  Am I missing a setting to create a misty horizon?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 11:59 PM

Increase your haze altitude and haze density.  Also you might want to play with the distance settings where it says "100" corresponds to 1 mi." Try that at 2, 5, 10, 15, 20 miles, just to see what effect it has.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 7:34 AM

Thanks for the response, I did wonder about increasing teh haze and density settings, but I kinda like the current thickness in the middle distance.  I'll play with the distance setting and see what i get.   Thanks again.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 7:53 AM · edited Mon, 29 May 2006 at 7:54 AM

Increasing haze and density works from back to front, so you could blur the horizon this way without interfering with the middle ground fog. It's really juggling the combintion of everything that will get you where you want.  With Carrara being a full boat, kind of "non preset" type of program, this is usually the case with many types of effects. You can also modify the fog color a little to help with the overall color scheme.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 8:03 AM

Ah, bass ackwards.  :-)   Actually it works really well.  I've tried your suggestion of the inch to mile thing and that's working just fine.   It's increased the mid ground density a little, but certainly looks OK.      So many settings and so little time.

I'm a little surprised at the moon setting.   It's such a clever little program, but can't work out the moon phases from the position of the sun?   Not that I could see anyway.  Anyway, I digress.  

Thanks.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 7:25 PM

Check out (or revisit) johannes' (cajomi) tutorial on landscapes. He does a good job of explaining how haze works in the realistic sky. Expand your world settings and you will get glorious haze. I think I have some set to 1 inch = 25 miles. The tut also contains a nice description on how the terrain shaders work. Soooo much easier than Bryce. I'm a DTE master for Bryce and Carrara's terrain shaders instantly made sense. Setting the altitude of a texture has always been a tweaker area in Bryce - a lot of trial and error, but it totally makes sense in C, since it's linked to actual units of measure. If you go to the tutorials section of the Eovia site you can find Cajomi's kick ass tutorial. I haven't played with the moon in C. Scott

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 8:26 PM

thanks very much.  I'll check it out.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

bwtr ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 9:34 PM

Between the Cajomi tute and the continuing advice being given all around by Patrick-210 you can not go wrong.

Impressed that you are taking the time and effort to help us Patrick---THANKS!

bwtr

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 5:51 AM

Is Patrick some kind of god?  I feel ignorant now.  I know and worship  the Bryce gods, but Carrara is a whole new religion.  :-)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 5:53 AM

Nevermind, I just checked out his gallery and answered my own question.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.