Sat, Sep 21, 2:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Dirt on the mirror, Pentaprism of 5D

Fotogen ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 9:00 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:14 PM

I got my 5D less than a month ago, and I already have lint and dirt somewhere on the mirror of above the pentaprism where blowing air or simply rubbing it with soft (lens cleaner cloth) will not get rid of it.  I see these little dirt/hair fibers in the viewfinder only.  Images are clean, so the sensor is clean.  I did have a spot on the images too, but I followed the cleaning procedure of the sensor, Sensor Cleaning mode then blowing air on the sensor, and that fixed the problem. 

Does anyone know any tricks to clean it.  I hate spending another $50.00 to send it to Canon to get it cleaned.  Besides, it will happen again.

Thank You all

Hadi

nattarious ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 9:27 AM

Well the truth is Hadi..

That if you are not pro in cleaning your camera then i am afraid to send it to the nearest canon dealer bro..

Me.. I clean all my series by my own.. Not because i don't wanna spend or whaste the money.. No.. I just use special strips to clean the sensors, mirrors and all over it..

Why! Becasue i am very accurate.. I do clean starting from 20Da, 30D, 5D and my MARK II 1Ds by my self.. And i clean the sensors as i mentioned with a very special second party alchohol strips and then blow it..

So it is either to send it back to them.. or wait till get real spotty and dirty and then send it any way.. Casue if anything happens to that sensor they will know and your warranty will be VOID!!

And any of the canon sensors.. cost more then the camera it self..  Try blowing it again.. abit harder and use a special blower that you can squessze it anywhere... i Use tamron super blower II..

And just for your camera's safty... When you change the lens and or remove or recover your camera back.. Do the camera fast and try to be fast as much as you can tho.. Casue the lens ain't that big deal.. You can whipe them and clean them or even blow the dust with no hastle..

God with you and if you still stuck.. send me an email at: contact@xoom-arts.com and i will call you don't forget yout phone nubmer

Thanks and reagards

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

Onslow ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 11:04 AM · edited Tue, 04 July 2006 at 11:08 AM

I don't know where you are or the conditions of sale where you are but here in the UK the first clean is free, courtesy of Canon.

I have heard of this problem before when people have used blowers to remove dust from the sensor. It removes it from the sensor OK, but you have no control over where it lands again, if not very careful or lucky it could well be in your viewfinder. 

The only safe fix is to return to a Canon service centre.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

nattarious ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 5:12 PM

Hehehe.. It is the same here as well OnSlow..  (The Warranty Part)

First time is free.. And i talked to Hadi in person over the phone.. And i gave him some tips and ideas.. And i guess everthing is fine now.. He will just change it to a very new one..Right Hadi!

Thank you for the answer

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

Fotogen ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 5:39 PM

I just talked to the place where I purchased the camera.  They said that they would take it back had I not sent in the rebate form to Canon yet, which I already have.  So I am gona talk to Canon tomorrow, if no results comes out of that, I will follow your advice Joe.

I was reading "dpreview" today on this topic and there seems to be a problem with dirt in the viewfinder with this camera.  There were quite a few people with the same issue.

It is funny that if you register your 5D with canon now, they will give you $100.00 toward a repair and will guarantee that the work will be done within 3 days.  I wonder why they are offering this for 5D only?

Please don't get me wrong about the product.  This is one of the best camera's I have shot with.  I I have shot a little with 1D, mark II and that is a great camera as well, but a little too heavy and bulky for me.  So it is sad that it has this issue.  Hope canon comes through with a permanent solution, because this can happen over and over again.

nattarious ( ) posted Thu, 06 July 2006 at 1:20 PM

WOW!! as i said i have the 20Da, 30D, 5D and the MARK II 1Ds.. And beleive it or not.. I have about almost 34 lens EF and EF-S by Canon only.. I don't use a third part lens on the Canon Cameras.. for many reasons..

And do yo know how many times i change the lens on each used one! A lot man.. And never had this issue with my 5D or MARK-II 1Ds..  Since you mentioned it was bought about less then 2 months ago.. Maybe it is another revision!? like aibt cheaper quality since mine was US.$ 3,999.99 body only? It is the same with 30D..

They added some extra feautres but the body and the way it is built it is a bit cheaper even tho it is the same design.. and that is why it is the same price of the 20D..

Oh well.. If they really gurantee you the 3 days with the 100 Dollars.. Talk to them first as you siad and confirm it and it would be even better to get that confirmation by email.. Right!

And give it a shot... if not.. just get the replacement plan..

Wish you luck and have a lovely day bro..

JOE

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2006 at 4:51 PM

If your a Canon CPS member, which I am, its three days anyway as opposed to seven days whatever prob one has with camera.

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2006 at 5:36 PM

Havnt had no problems with  my 5D or 1D Mk ii....!

danob ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 5:31 PM

It is not a good idea to touch the mirror with anything other than the correct sort of swabs if blowing it does not get rid of it.. I think this is more to do with the dealer as I think selling cams without a lens can lead to people taking off the protective cap to take a peek... The dealer should take some responsibility for this.. Complain to Canon

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

vlaaitje ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 4:42 PM · edited Sat, 15 July 2006 at 4:44 PM

I think Danob you are complete right here...
I have the same after I bought my 30D.
It was a show model.....

NOT USED...BUT TOUCHED!!!
Still have some dirt on the mirror......
and I can't clean it....it was from the  beginning....

nattarious:

It is a big different if you change the lens if it is your own camera
or if people try a cam out in the store...
who knows how many hands touched the camera

and take a peek inside of the cam and touched it with their fingers?
If it was your own camera you will treat it more carefully

than if you go to a store.....
and yes I have sometimes dirt on it

because I use different lenses during my trips
and if it is windy the dust creeps everywhere

and FOTOGEN: yes, it will happen again, that's the problem!!!

*Ilona

Ilona Krijgsman: My Tree Of Life
----------------------------------

Onslow ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 5:24 AM

I was thinking of trying the Olympus / Sony approach and taping the cam. to the top of my speaker system and playing some heavy rock at full volume !

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.