Tue, Oct 22, 2:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: SR3 Problem: background importing

wrpspeed ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 8:34 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:44 AM

file_348185.jpg

Hi all, this just started yesterday after applying SR3 to poser 6. can anyone else

see if it is happening to them?

1st pic is after applying background pic.

2nd pic is after it is rendered.

wrpspeed ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 8:36 PM

file_348186.jpg

2nd pic

wrpspeed ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 8:38 PM

the rendered pic is supposed to match the preview window or it is set to such.

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 11:16 PM

Try increasing your Max texture size in your Render settings.  Either that or apply your background
 texture  to the single sided square and scale the square up to the right size

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 11:21 PM

someone suggested setting the background, saving, restarting Poser and reloading the file..

wrpspeed ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 11:26 PM

SR1 : no problem

SR2: no problem

SR3: problem reappears.

I am going to try to redownload the SR to see if it might be corrupted.

was hoping to see that someone else was getting the same results.

Fazzel ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 12:00 AM

You might also have to uninstall Poser and then reinstall Poser and apply the SR3
to a  fresh copy of Poser.  I was getting weird eye textures and that
was the only thing that solved it.  I doubt you have a bad copy of the SR3,
More likely something is changed or corrupted in the Poser you have installed.

uli_k ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 12:45 AM

file_348209.jpg

wrpspeed,

can you try adjusting UV settings on the background node (Material room->Advanced->Background->BGPicture)? Looking at the images you posted, typing in a value of 2 for U_Scale and a value of -0.5 for U-Offset should do the trick (see attached image).

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 1:07 AM

file_348210.jpg

Well you're not the only one experiencing BG Pictures not rendering correctly. It fit's just fine in Preview Mode but not in render mode. You can adjust the fit as was suggested by Uli but it's guesswork as to whether or not you'll still fit the render window. It stretches the image and you can't tell in preview mode how badly you've stretched it.

Anniebel ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 1:45 AM

This happens to me all the time with Poser 6 & I haven't installed the SR3 yet.

It is one of the many bugs that makes Poser 6 so irritating & why I hate using it - love my Poser 5!

Don't know why people bagged Poser 5 for being buggy because I have never had any problems with it, yet Poser 6 is full of irritating issues like this.

If I have to use Poser 6, I usually set up the scene with the piccie in the background. Then remove it to render, then replace it in photoshop.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

uli_k ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 3:07 AM

Mizrael,

you're right - guessing the right values can be tedious. It's quicker to calculate them.

Look at width and height of your BG image. Divide the larger value by the smaller value. If your image is landscape format, apply the result to U_Scale. If your image is portrait format, apply the result to V_Scale.

Now let's do the offset: take your result from above and subtract 1. When you're done, divide the result by 2. Give it a negative sign, this is our offset. Again, if you're using a landscape aspect ratio, apply to U_Offset. For portrait, apply to V_Offset.

Here's an example for one of my digital camera shots:
Width 1600, height 1200. Landscape, so U_Scale = 1600/1200 = 1.333
U_Offset = -(1.333 -1)/2 = -0.166

Fazzel ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 3:55 AM

Quote - This happens to me all the time with Poser 6 & I haven't installed the SR3 yet.

It is one of the many bugs that makes Poser 6 so irritating & why I hate using it - love my Poser 5!

Don't know why people bagged Poser 5 for being buggy because I have never had any problems with it, yet Poser 6 is full of irritating issues like this.

If I have to use Poser 6, I usually set up the scene with the piccie in the background. Then remove it to render, then replace it in photoshop.

I had the same thing happen in Poser 5.  I finally realized you have to have the
Max Texture Size in the Render Setting be larger.  Usually 2048 does the trick.

JackieD ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 5:13 AM

Same problem here after installing sr3 the background image shrinks when rendering....never encountered it before.  Using Poser 4 renderer is fine...it's only with Firefly - and it doesn't matter what size the Texture Size is set to.  This is a definitely a bug and I hope it's fixed soon 'cause I"m fed up with Poser's quirks after paying good money for the darn software I want it to work properly.

wrpspeed ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 6:45 AM

thanks for all the ideas. i did a clean install of poser 6 and all SR's and the problem

is still there. one thing that works is to open the file in poser 5 and save it. when

re-opened in poser 6 it works ok.

diana ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 10:04 AM

file_348226.jpg

In the material room, select the background and check Autofit under the BG Picture settings. That fixed the rendering square issue for me.  My image was not the same aspect ratio as the small but very wide and not so tall render window, but with this setting on, Poser 6 SP3 did not change the image aspect ratio to fit in the window. Instead it left an edge of empty background color on both sides of the image in the dimension it can not fit precisely to the window as not to distort or crop the image. I'm surprised that Autofit is not checked automatically as rendering a landscape image as a square despite the Poser window also being in a landscape size is pretty strange.

Stan57 ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 10:48 AM

I having alot more problems then the background shrinking, it doesnt matter what button i click on to choose an action it locks up poser for about 5 minutes or i can click the exit button{ when it lets me} and it will unfreeze it. For an example, i can click on the render button on the main program and it will give me a whiteout square where the setting should be. Thats what happens to everything.

I am going to uninstall poser and try to install the SR3 and see if that helps,if not going back to SR2

Jack Of All Trades Master Of None

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 3:23 PM

I'm having the same problem.  The background will appear fine in the P4 render, but in firefly it shrinks.  Increasing texture size does nothing.

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 4:05 PM

Try checking "Auto Fit" on the "BG Image" node for the background (Material room and select Background).
This appears to stop the background texture from being resized.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 7:56 PM

file_348266.jpg

> Quote - Try checking "Auto Fit" on the "BG Image" node for the background (Material room and select Background). > This appears to stop the background texture from being resized.

Absolutely correct this indeed fixes the problem! See my pic?? LOL!!

My Facebook Page

wrpspeed ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 11:28 PM

Hey, The Auto Fit did the trick.

Thanks ever so much. :)

JackieD ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 12:59 AM · edited Sun, 16 July 2006 at 1:01 AM

Quote - In the material room, select the background and check Autofit under the BG Picture settings. That fixed the rendering square issue for me.  My image was not the same aspect ratio as the small but very wide and not so tall render window, but with this setting on, Poser 6 SP3 did not change the image aspect ratio to fit in the window. Instead it left an edge of empty background color on both sides of the image in the dimension it can not fit precisely to the window as not to distort or crop the image. I'm surprised that Autofit is not checked automatically as rendering a landscape image as a square despite the Poser window also being in a landscape size is pretty strange.

It doesn't work for me...I checked autofit and same problem.  I have a pic. of a moon as the background and it ends up egg shaped instead of round.  Weird thing is that it doesn'thappen using P4 render option.  Does anyone know how to undo the SR3 patch without uninstalling and reinstalling Poser and the subsequent patches up to 3..because until I can do this P6 is unusable. Thanks.

Stan57 ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 5:57 AM

I figured out the problem, Poser 6 is in compatable with WindowBlinds. I had to go into the setting and use per application so Poser doesnt use the themes. I havent checked the backgrounds yet so i dont know if that is causing the problem,i kinda dont think so though.

Jack Of All Trades Master Of None

diana ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 7:18 AM

Attached Link: Files Changed updating Poser from SP2 to SP3

If you didn't back up your original Poser 6 with SP2 installation folder, you won't have the proper files to replace the changed ones. I have my runtimes external except for python scripts and their necessary files and the default installed files with Poser 6 so it's under a gig to back up the folder on my system. 

I had to resave my preferences (preferred state) and launch with my preferred state after checking Autofit on to keep it that way, the default is off.

I made a page (see link) with a list of the files that were changed by the the SP3 installation after doing a compare between the original install with SP2 and the SP3 updated folders.  I didn't include files in the Runtimeprefs folder as they change each time I run the application.  I do not guarantee that restoring only the files on my list will fix any problems and it may cause others, use the information at your own risk.

Finister ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 8:11 AM

I haven't installed SR3 yet, but always have had the background problem. I discovered that whenever I add a image as a background, Poser automatically gives it screwy UV ratios, so I always just manually make the background UV 1-to-1 to match my render size after I've added it.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 11:33 AM

I get that problem sometimes. Had it in Poser5 and Poser6. So when it happens, I go for the lazy way. I fire up PSP and resize a copy of the picture to the dimensions I want and then import that JPEG into Poser.

JackieD ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2006 at 8:56 PM · edited Wed, 19 July 2006 at 8:57 PM

Many thanks for taking the time to reply with such detailed suggestions about reloading Poser etc.  

I won't have to reload Poser  ....silly me had the Figure selected in the Material Room instead of Background..no wonder ticking auto fit didn't work.    Thanks again!

Sheila41au ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 5:57 AM

I worked out what part of this giving me my trouble.... its all to do with screen resolution ... I set my screen as high as I could and then did the import background and it worked perfectly ... soon as I dropped it back to 1024 x 768 it wouldnt give me a preview screen larger than 768 which is the height of my settings... hope this makes sense

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.